Author Topic: 3W LED shaped-beam Coukou light.  (Read 1599 times)

3W LED shaped-beam Coukou light.
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:17:53 pm »
Bought one of these headlight & rear light sets recently, for £8.99 off Amazon , it seems excellent value .  :thumbsup:  (edit. now from China, rather than UK stock)

Headlight (and rear) is USB rechargeable, and I normally go for AA/AAA, but the 3W shaped beam available in hi and low modes is bright, effective, and for the price very impressive.  edit.  the LED is fixed to the top side of the unit, so shines down on to the angled mirror surfaces.  There is also a slow flash mode which looks pretty useful (and strobe - not so).  Quoted IPX4 weather resistance.  The manual states 4hrs on hi / 12 hours on low beam.  I've not tested this yet, but my guess it will be somewhat lower.  Seems a decent quality unit for the price, and the rubber strap brackets seem fine. 

The rear LED is Ok (back-up probably), not the brightest, but with decent scan/flash modes.  Rear rubber bracket has a screw to adjust the angle, which adds to the versatility. 

Coukou light set comes with two microUSB charging leads.  Front light seems to work while charging off an anker pack, but needs a right-angled elbow mUSB cable, as the bracket is too close for a straight connector. 
Some beam pics...

Hi...

IMG_201905_hi_a by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Another hi beam pic...

IMG_20190519_hi by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Low...

IMG_201905_low by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: 3W LED shaped-beam Coukou light - inexpensive.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:29:28 am »
Well I took you on trust and mine arrived last night. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I was looking for a front light that wold fit on my Brompton handlebars so fingers crossed.

Re: 3W LED shaped-beam Coukou light - inexpensive.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:39 pm »
 :)   It's made me realise how much a waste of light an unshaped, hotspot beam is; the 'Coukou' is substantially better than the 'cone' of light beam LED lights I've tried.  It could become my goto light, for night riding/ dark commute.  Currently using the slow flash on my commute.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Re: 3W LED shaped-beam Coukou light
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »
I saw on Amazon reviews that someone lost the headlight button, so I've used a good bit of Gorilla tape ('Crystal Clear') over the button to make sure it stays put.  If button is prone to detaching, it may also mean it's not quite as water resistant as it might be...

edit. 

The Coukou light is pretty impact resistant as twice I've not clicked it in, and it's hit the road when I've been riding, suffering a minor scuff only.

I've now bought a second unit from Amazon (>China, this time).  Will stick another bit of gorilla tape over the button. 

Daylight flashing test - intermitent slow pulse
12+hrs very good...

Full power main beam (2nd unit; not tested on a proper dark ride yet)
~ 2hrs - sat on table.  Probably good for my winter commute - with second as backup.