Author Topic: Potential life saving app.  (Read 1262 times)

Re: Potential life saving app.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 11:02:54 am »
Any modern smartphone can automatically send your location, when you phone up the emergency services. No need for any extra apps or services. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Location
That is interesting, and has one very important feature:

AML automatically turns on Wi-Fi and location services on the handset, collects and computes location data, then sends an SMS to the emergency services containing the caller's location, before turning location services and Wi-Fi off again.[13]
So the user doesn't need to have activated location services, plus the system minimises battery-draining functions once it has sent the signal. Very good. Knocks the socks off w3w.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »
Well that's interesting; founder of Open Street Map now works for What3Words.
He also referred me to an essay by Steve Coast, a What3Words employee and the founder of OpenStreetMap (which is essentially a worldwide Wikipedia-like map). The essay, “Why I Like What3Words,” praises the company for finding a way to identify locations beyond the street level.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/06/the-most-interesting-story-about-postal-addresses-you-have-ever-read/487160/
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 06:12:37 pm »
I used w3w in anger yesterday. We’ve rented a cottage for the week (whose postcode covers a large area) and my wife and so went on ahead and texted me the 3 words. Used the “navigate to” function in the app which opened Apple Maps and took me straight here.

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 09:55:23 am »
She could easily have texted you a maps link?

(Me and my friends send locations via the built in functions in FB messenger and WhatsApp all the time)

W3W currently plastering everywhere I visit online with ads. Big publicity blitz.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 10:10:37 am »
We use Find Friends, an Apple App included with phones and iPads.

w3w is simply trying to make money, and in the process is buggering up simplicity.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 11:12:46 am »
I have a free app called Latitude Longditude.  Well proven and interpretable by all emergency services and many other people besides.  I also understand that you can use lat long in google maps too.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 11:21:49 am »
Anyone who has watched Hunted will know just how trifling it easy it is find anyone with an active mobile phone.

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 11:36:17 am »
Previous thread:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111508.0

I have two objections to what.3.words:

One) it is proprietary, private enterprise
Two) resolving information from an address is utterly reliant on a working app

The second is the more fundamental flaw. Given a postcode and local knowledge, you can get close to a location. Given lat/long, you can work out (in your head) roughly where that is. With a bit of knowledge, you can probably work out the distance from current location. The same applies to multiple other grid systems.

That's it really.

With map grids, there are ways to find locations. The company is obviously working hard to get enough people to use for it to become the standard. Once it has become the accepted method, there's no going back.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »
The company is obviously working hard to get enough people to use for it to become the standard. Once it has become the accepted method, there's no going back.

It's a proven business model.

Helped by having an idea that looks cool to the lay-person, and the likes of the BBC regurgitating press releases without mention of the existence of AML.

This is a product for selling to $shite_courier, so their customers can easily give locations that are more useful than postal addresses.  It's not a way to save lives, any more than, say, Instagram is.  (At least until it gains sufficient traction that it becomes a de-facto standard that the emergency services *have* to support, like postcodes have.)
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 02:03:34 pm »
From OP's link:

Mercedes Benz has also included its system in its cars

Well that's quite a big prestigious brand name and it rubs off but guess what, Mercedes Benz has bought %10 of What3words.