Author Topic: Bikes on trains - call for evidence  (Read 734 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Bikes on trains - call for evidence
« on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:40 pm »
I'm in about-to-set-off-for-a-FNRttC mode, so don't have time to look at this in depth, but I'm sure forumites have plenty of 'experiences' to share:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/bad-train-trip-share-your-experiences-taking-bikes-trains
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Bikes on trains - call for evidence
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 07:18:48 pm »
I've shared this on Twitter.
One friend shared a dreadful experience from last weekend on Twitter.

He had trained for months for an event in the Lake District and made all relevant bookings in advance.

Arrived in good time at Euston.

Found booked bike space on train was occupied by unbooked partner of traveller with booking. Guard would not let him on that train no other bike spaces available on following trains.

Could therefore not travel.
Could not use booked accommodation.

Months of planning & preparation wasted because guard didn't stand ground with unbooked cyclist but didn't admit my friend.

Friend has just lost job and was furious and gutted!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:18 am »
I think I might have sat in a doorway and refused to move at that point, make it clear I had a bike booking and I wasn't moving till  I plus bike was on the train... They would be wanting to avoid delay...

There is no point in booking systems unless they're enforced.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:04:05 am »
If you did that an Euston the BTP would be along in no time to drag a disruptive passenger off the train. It’s only a good tactic at smaller stations.

My guess is the guard would have made some optimistic promises about being able to get on the next one, and the shiteness of the situation evolved slowly.

What they should do (I believe, obliged to do) is lay on a taxi to wherever you’re going, even if it’s the Lake District.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:12 am »
My friend is a big bloke of colour. Can't imagine he wanted trouble!

I've told him about this survey and I'm sure he'll recount his tale of woe as soon as he gets to a decent computer. He was on a phone or tablet when he initially replied to me.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »
Ah, not being white is a definite "don't do" on the protest tactics. Virgin should have refunded him his fares AND incidental costs. I'd be inclined to try and small claims court on them. Bastards!

Also when you're doing the protest for disabled access, the BTP will usually tell the train operating company to sort their shit out and won't intervene - if you're a white protester that is. I wouldn't want to guess what they'd do to a person of colour :(

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 01:32:40 pm »
Wheelchair users have a different status to the "if we can be arsed" carriage of bikes.  Legally, even if it's sometimes hard to tell the difference in practice...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...