Author Topic: SPD sandals  (Read 2698 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
SPD sandals
« on: June 08, 2019, 08:15:41 am »
Few favour cycling sandals, it occurs to me !
However - I fancy giving them a go this roaring hot summer...

I can only find https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-sd5-spd-sandle-EV366911
these out there (and you have to mis-spell 'sandal' to find 'em !)

None of their stores offer 'try-before-you-buy' - you have to order them in (£89.99p - synthetic uppers)
Any fans like to offer a recommendation ?

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: SPD sandals
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 08:52:04 am »
Unless you take one of the sizes given they're uncomfortable.  I take a 43: with a 42 my toes stuck out so I took a 44, and found out after a few rides that the shaped soles hurt my feet at bit too much and in any case they flopped about. Maybe it's a large 44.

I sold mine to El Prez, who loves them.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 09:05:02 am »
Spa sells some which are a bit cheaper. I am tempted to give then a go particularly on the grounds that you can wear them day after day even if it's rained heavily.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 09:14:43 am »
I use them for most of the year, in winter with Sealskinz socks. The ones in the picture are the most common I have a pair of them but I prefer the brown version with the smoother foot surface. I also have a pair of Lake ones which some like because they have a slightly higher front ridge to protect toes. Although I have never had a need for that feature. My uses the Exustar that Spa sell and she likes those.

If you lived nearer you would be welcome to try out mine.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:53:25 pm »
I like the Shimano (old three-strap design), barakta prefers the Exustar ones.  Your feet may vary.

They're certainly nice when it's scorchio, but they really come into their own an hour or so after the rain stops, when they're dry and normal cycling shoes ...aren't.  The advantage for touring is obvious.

Go up a size, so you've got room for thick/waterproof socks.

Once you've been using for a bit, they'll stink mercilessly whenever you get them wet.  You can't really stop that (though I don't have access to gamma sources, so I must admit haven't tried everything).
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:50:00 pm »
I use them for most of the year, in winter with Sealskinz socks.
I certainly did that before I had proper winter boots, and I still use them in really wet conditions when it is above about 7 degrees. The benefit of sandal straps is that they are very adjustable so you can put two pairs of socks (one thin thermal and then thick Sealskinz) without compressing the socks and losing all the insulation benefits. At one point they were my go to footwear in hot and cold weather, but I sometimes used more conventional shoes in between times.

Once you've been using for a bit, they'll stink mercilessly whenever you get them wet.  You can't really stop that (though I don't have access to gamma sources, so I must admit haven't tried everything).
I found that the enzyme stuff you can get for wetsuits works quite well - dunk sandals in a bucket of solution for a while and then dry in the sun. Definitely improves things. A smallish bottle lasted me a very long time - pretty sure it came from a surfing shop on line.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 06:28:27 pm »
I found that the enzyme stuff you can get for wetsuits works quite well - dunk sandals in a bucket of solution for a while and then dry in the sun. Definitely improves things. A smallish bottle lasted me a very long time - pretty sure it came from a surfing shop on line.

I'll look out for that.

Leaving them to dry in the sun after a ride certainly helps reduce the immediate pong, but if you get on a train after a wet ride, you're doomed to be unpopular.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:40 pm »
Funnily enough, IanN and I were discussing these yesterday. Wearing them with socks is for serious audaxers. I haven't worn sandals of any description since I lived in the official tropics and even then I very rarely rode in them. Some people's feet are sandal shaped, mine are not, regardless of manufacture (though I did spend my smallhood summers in Clarks Playdecks and don't recall blisters but that was the seventies, the air was different. Or something.)
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:56:44 pm »
I like the old 2-strap Exustar sandals (SS502, still available from Yankland).

I started using them for a tour that involved off-road ford bashing, and liked them enough that I just carried on using them, and extended the use to all non-winter riding.
I don't use socks so long as it's over about 5°
I deal with stinkiness by giving the sole a good scrub in the washbasin every month or two (using shower gel).
The textured sole on a new pair is a bit uncomfortable for walking about in, but is OK for riding in, and OK after a couple of months use.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:45:03 am »

I put them through a machine wash, wrapped in old pillowcases, so they don't clang about so much. I daresay a soak in bleach would de-pong them too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:50 am »
Since my previous post I have bought a pair of non-SPD sandals and worn them fairly extensively both on and off the bike. Even rode an audax in them, though it was only a 100!
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:40:30 am »

I put them through a machine wash, wrapped in old pillowcases, so they don't clang about so much. I daresay a soak in bleach would de-pong them too.

That was the first thing I tried.  They smelled of bleachy feet for a bit, before going back to just smelling of feet.

The best approach seems to be to leave them drying in the sun after you've been riding in them.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 10:40:53 am »
I’ve had a pair of the 3 strap Shimano sandals since about 2015 and love them. Wearing them with socks is both cozy and marks you out as a fashion icon.  If you wear them with multicoloured knee socks that have individual toes people will stop you in the street to shake your hand warmly. Drinks will be bought for you in pubs and you’ll be invited into schools to share your life lessons with the kiddies.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »
When I get round to organising audaxes I am strongly tempted to get permission from the board to outlaw triathlon socks. Literally anything else is fine including even short sleeve jerseys, but knee-or-longer socks are just a crime against cycling.

The most bizarre combo I've seen on an audax so far was full length black above-knee socks with a short sleeve jersey. I am a pretty free and easy chap when it comes to clothes but this was really just too much  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Has anyone had success with using overshoes on SPD sandals? I really like the idea of using them in soggy cold tours on the basis that you can dry them out easily but wouldn't want cold feet in the daytime.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »
Surely the whole point in sandals is that you don't have to use overshoes?  If it's really cold, use waterproof socks.

My preference in really cold conditions is waterproof boots, the sandals only come out in the sort of weather where wooly socks are sufficient for cycling in.  Though I will use SealSkinz for extra warmth/dryness in the evening/morning on campsites.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
Overshoes are needed when it is really cold (e.g. below -5), but grit on the road has produced potholes full of sub-zero water. Two layers of wool socks plus neoprene overshoes and your feet will be fine.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »
I’ve had a pair of the 3 strap Shimano sandals since about 2015 and love them. Wearing them with socks is both cozy and marks you out as a fashion icon.  If you wear them with multicoloured knee socks that have individual toes people will stop you in the street to shake your hand warmly. Drinks will be bought for you in pubs and you’ll be invited into schools to share your life lessons with the kiddies.
We need to know more about these socks. Well, I do. Do they have individually coloured toes? If so, where can I get them, NOW? :D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 05:31:22 pm »
I hope this link works...

https://flic.kr/p/2h7RRw2

I’ve noticed I only have 2 straps not 3. I don’t care really, I still love ‘em.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 05:41:17 pm »
I did an RRTY in sandals. Sometimes with socks, and sometimes with overshoes.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 05:52:40 pm »
I hope this link works...

https://flic.kr/p/2h7RRw2

I’ve noticed I only have 2 straps not 3. I don’t care really, I still love ‘em.
:D :D :D

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »
They clash with the carpet a bit.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 08:18:31 pm »
Everything clashes with that carpet.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 09:31:28 pm »
I'm probably not the person to comment about other peoples stripy socks....

Sadly Loakes are not SPD compatible.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark