Author Topic: Electric cars won't save the planet article on BBC  (Read 3823 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Electric cars won't save the planet article on BBC
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »
I was wondering what the issue was because I think the Chademo is for rapid charging, and I thought the also Leaf has Type 2 - but if Wowbagger has an older Leaf then maybe it's Type 1? CCS is, as I understand it, a Type 2 compatible with additional pins below for DC rapid charging.

You're right about CCS being type 2, but with extra pins. So many terms, it gets damn confusing.

We have a Type 2 tethered cable and I would like to keep it that way if getting a TM3 and keeping the PHEV. It's much faster and simpler to connect to the car from a tethered cable than to get a cable out of the car every time.

"It is a global standard. Within the European Union, regulation requires all public DC charging stations to be equipped with a configuration FF connector. It is also used in USA, India..."

So looks like CCS is going to be everywhere PDQ.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2019, 12:19:10 pm »
Increasingly they are being replaced by biro:

They are electric, have the same limitations as the canta, but being electric don't stink, and are quiet...

Interesting quirk of Dutch law: they aren't allowed to be parked on the road (they aren't cars), so have to be parked on the pavement... Which is suboptimal...

J
But most often parked on a golf course...
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2019, 12:28:13 pm »

Mennekes type 2. I think thats the one the Tesla takes.

Type 1 to Type 2. That's the one the Leaf takes.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2019, 12:32:58 pm »
Thanks Wowbagger. That's a nuisance!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2019, 12:58:50 pm »
Because Dez is about to take delivery of a Tesla, and I have a Leaf, we had to change our 7kw charging point from a tethered to an untethered one. Annoyingly, the new unit doesn't lock the Mennekes plug into the socket when charging.

Possibly stupid question, but if you're replacing the EVSE, could you not simply keep the old one in place?
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2019, 01:31:22 pm »
Because Dez is about to take delivery of a Tesla, and I have a Leaf, we had to change our 7kw charging point from a tethered to an untethered one. Annoyingly, the new unit doesn't lock the Mennekes plug into the socket when charging.

Possibly stupid question, but if you're replacing the EVSE, could you not simply keep the old one in place?

I don’t think you necessarily need to replace the whole unit - I think you can swap the tethered connector for a socket. If adding another 7kW load then this might require a supply upgrade. This can be hugely expensive.

A colleague is getting a solar battery system installed. He had to limit the installation to a certain size. They will upgrade the connection for free to support this. To go over they would charge him the full cost of ~£24000!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2019, 01:33:45 pm »

I don’t think you necessarily need to replace the whole unit - I think you can swap the tethered connector for a socket. If adding another 7kW load then this might require a supply upgrade. This can be hugely expensive.

I thought of that, but if they're serving the same physical parking space, that's all the diversity you (if not the electrical regs) really need.

But anyway, it's shirley not beyond the wit of man to padlock a Mennekes cable to a wall in a way that doesn't impair its use.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:50 pm »

This is doing the rounds on twitter:

I wonder what offence this driver could be charged with, but what ever it is, they need to be made to stop. Pavement parking, and a trip hazard. Argh. The entitlement of some people. *sigh*

J
--

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:11 pm »
And it would appear that that guy has off-road parking. No need for that.

When I charge at my daughter's house, I have a heavy rubber cable protector which allows easy passage to pedestrians where the cable passes the pavement.

EV drivers are not the first to obstruct pavements with their junk. Window cleaners who have large tanks of water in vans, and builders with electric cement mixers, are also guilty of the same offence, if an offence it is.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
The difference is that inconsiderate EV drivers may be tempted to do it on a regular basis...

I don't see a one-off EV charging by a visitor as being any different from the examples above.  Or stringing a cable across the pavement to hoover a car, power a compressor or to charge an ICE start battery.  (Electric cement mixers have a special place in my heart, after having a two-stroke one parked outside my bedroom window for months.)

I think the pragmatic rule is not to take the piss, which is clearly what's going on in the photo above.  A rubber mat seems like a good approach for infrequent use, as does a person being present to ensure that people don't trip on the cable, as they would be for most short-term tool use.

Does anyone know what the pictured car is?  Even money says it's a plug-in hybrid.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:27 pm »
[…]
Or stringing a cable across the pavement to clean a car, power a fridge or to charge a ICE start battery.

I'm trying to imagine random fridges parked on the roadside.

I presume you mean in motorhomes parked up taking mains power for their sky TV?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:35 pm »
[…]
Or stringing a cable across the pavement to clean a car, power a fridge or to charge a ICE start battery.

I'm trying to imagine random fridges parked on the roadside.

Normal for Silly Oak.  Of course, the mains supply would be redundant, as most of them are lacking a compressor...  :)

I presume you mean in motorhomes parked up taking mains power for their sky TV?

I don't think I've actually seen a motorhome plugged in when parked on the street.  Private driveways, yes.  I assume caravan fridges can run happily on LPG, so they'd only trail a cable if the battery needed recharging.

I was thinking of a small business's refrigerated van that I infrequently see parked outside a terraced house on the way into town.  (I assume because they're making a run to a supplier in the morning, or something similar that means this is a desirable thing to do.) It's a quiet residential pavement, and they do the rubber mat thing.  It's not ideal, but it's not really any more of a problem than on-street parking generally.

I sincerely wish that ice-cream vans would make more of a habit of trailing cables, for the good of everyone's lungs.  The sooner they get replaced with EVs the better.

« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:34 pm »
I sincerely wish that ice-cream vans would make more of a habit of trailing cables, for the good of everyone's lungs.  The sooner they get replaced with EVs the better.
They are on their way!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2019, 08:44:52 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFt2qTGnfM
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:18 pm »
Does anyone know what the pictured car is?  Even money says it's a plug-in hybrid.

Fairly sure it's a BMW 530e PHEV. So doesn't *need* charging.

Camden Council's way of achieving this has been by banning ice cream vans completely.

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:57 pm »
Our window cleaner has a hose pipe that he trails down the street but I don't see what the problem with it is cos you can easily drive (or cycle, or walk, or wheelchair, or pram, or whatever) over it...
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »
Our window cleaner has a hose pipe that he trails down the street but I don't see what the problem with it is cos you can easily drive (or cycle, or walk, or wheelchair, or pram, or whatever) over it...

Hit one at a shallow angle, very easy to come off with anything trailing.

As a data point, the UK standard for the height of a dropped curb above the road surface, where the intended users are pedestrians or cyclists, is just 6mm.

J
--

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2019, 11:38:29 pm »
Sounds like a Renault Twizy
Someone ought to fiddle with the cabin-motorcycle format to make a light, narrow car which seats 2 people in tandem. Give it 4 wheels, like those leaning trikes but with 2 wheels and the leaning gubbins at both ends.

I think it was called a Messerschmidt, only that was a trike, ICE and very quick. But the idea has scope for development.

Round these parts there are quite a few canta brommobilen:

Limited to 40kph, they used to be allowed to use the cycle lanes, but got kicked out along with the mopeds/brommers. They stink, they are noisy, and I hate having to overtake them...

Increasingly they are being replaced by biro:

They are electric, have the same limitations as the canta, but being electric don't stink, and are quiet...

Interesting quirk of Dutch law: they aren't allowed to be parked on the road (they aren't cars), so have to be parked on the pavement... Which is suboptimal...

J

The top one looks just like a standard yoghurt pot. Some discerning and overrich parents are now buying these for their posh kids to go to their posh lycées instead of scooters and mopeds (parisian habit as far as I know; you need a certain disposable income 'cos they're not cheap, unlike the engineering that goes into them).
The bottom one would take the place of a Twizy but it is a better option (two real seats, proper doors). The fact that these things don't go over 50km/h is not an issue usually; they really don't have their place outside a  built-up area. Having said that, coming up behind a yoghurt pot tooling along on a derestricted dual-carriageway can get the heart beat up very nicely. Bit of an underwear change situation!!
The electric vehicles I really like are the quads (that is the only way to describe them) used by the posties. Single seat with a bin on the back. I'd love to have one for work but no-one will buy me one! I'd put up being limited to 50km/h for one of those!

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2019, 08:47:05 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFt2qTGnfM
Nice advert! But... "water in a box".  >:(

And surely every kid over the age of ten or so realizes that ice cream vans are stinky, it's just they're willing to put up with it for the sake of ice cream.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree