Author Topic: Carradice Audax LIGHT saddlebag  (Read 1579 times)

fd3

Carradice Audax LIGHT saddlebag
« on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:31 pm »
A super C Audax bag, but made out of Cordura, not Cotton Duck, so lighter.
Anyone have any experience of these?
https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/lightweight-audax-saddlebag-black-cordura
[/I could be wrong]

T42

• Tea tank
Re: Carradice Audax LIGHT saddlebag
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 02:10:20 pm »
Not of that but I had a Cordura rack pack that needed a rain cover.

I like the idea of a bright lining, though.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »
I'm also considering this as well - though I did assume it was waterproof (at least like the duck version perhaps?)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 08:20:32 pm »
It'd be worth checking, Cordura comes in lots of types, some waterproof and others not.  The waterproof versions I've come across are either PU backed, which should last as long as the fabric and coated which might wear off and need redoing. 

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:27:23 pm »
Clicking around, you can also get it in hi-viz yellow, camo or sky blue, all of them awful.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »
It's only in black on the Carradice site and doesn't seem to have any weight advantages over cotton duck (except when wet, perhaps). Not my first choice on the whole.

DaT

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:06:58 pm »
I have one, they swapped out the leather for a vegan alternatives. It is a few hundred grams lighter than the regular. Worked well for me don't know what to say but if anyone wants I can take some pictures.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:16:03 pm »
It does say "weighs only 440g compared with 660g for the cotton duck version."

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 10:52:17 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/carradicebikebags/posts/2375757142446879
Hiviz yellow and camo versions there. Grams is not being harsh.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 11:02:59 pm »
I did assume it was waterproof (at least like the duck version perhaps?)
Cordura itself is waterproof, but the holes all the stitching makes in it aren't, and the bags are consequently prone to seepage. The normal solution is to put the contents in poly bags if dampness will be a problem.

Cotton duck absorbs water, the material swells up, and any holes get squeezed closed, preventing water getting through. The downside is that cotton bags are heavier, and even heavier when damp.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:27:08 pm »
Cordura itself is waterproof, but the holes all the stitching makes in it aren't, and the bags are consequently prone to seepage. The normal solution is to put the contents in poly bags if dampness will be a problem.

Cotton duck absorbs water, the material swells up, and any holes get squeezed closed, preventing water getting through. The downside is that cotton bags are heavier, and even heavier when damp.

ta for that... so not much different to using my seat pack with dry sacks apart from teh Carradice gives the added bonus of not having to rummage through a sack to get to the bag I need...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 11:48:41 pm »
Am I right in thinking the duck cotton ones are waterproof (as much as can be expected) when waxed? I assumed my stuff in there was pretty safe.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 12:19:22 am »
AUIU cotton duck works fine until you leave it in a pool of water.

Unsealed cordura is fine until it's been out in the rain too long.

PVC (and similar materials) is fine until you seal your wet clothing inside it.

(On this basis there's no simple answer to the Ortlieb vs Carradice debate.  Which is best depends on what you're doing.)
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:15 am »
And as you'll probably be doing a variety of things, the answer is an aesthetic choice. Which means everyone is right, unless you like to think they're wrong.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:13 pm »
And as you'll probably be doing a variety of things, the answer is an aesthetic choice n+1.

FTFY

I have all three materials in my stable, and variations on zips, flaps and roll-closures.  It's possible that I may have a luggage problem.

I can authoritatively state that the only waterproofing method without merit is the not bothering and supplying a hi-vis shower cap approach.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »
Right I've gone for a light super C audax  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

bairn again

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 02:46:54 pm »
Ive got one of these and there are two things I don't like about it (v the regular version) -

1.  The lid/cover isn't as large and making sure its properly in place is akin to fitting a tight tyre on a bike wheel - I cant escape the conclusion that there is just a fraction too little material on it.  The regular version just folds over with ease. 

2.  The inside pocket is unnecessary.     

Its much lighter mind which is its USP. 

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 02:52:21 pm »
Cordura itself is waterproof,
As I said earlier, not without a backing or a coating it isn't.  It's made to many specifications by different manufacturers under license, I have some Cordura work trousers that make no claims about water resistance, though they're slightly better than some due to the tight weave.
I'd expect Carradice to be using a waterproof variant, if it's a coating it may at some point need reapplying, if it's PU backed it'll last the lifetime but is unlikely to be that much lighter than cotton.

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 08:16:26 am »
I bought one of these in black in April and have used it for 2 x 200, 3 x 300 and 1 x 400 so it has seen some use. I have not used it in serious rain though so cannot comment authoritively on waterproofness. The cordura does not seem to be sealed. I do use small dry bags to organise things inside it.

I bought the SQR mounting system which well and (in my opinion) is a better option than a Bagman as it holds the bag securely and the spare mounting blocks are cheaper at £15.

The size seems ideal for audaxes up to 400km (minimalists would probably be fine with it for longer rides). The side pockets are really useful - I use them for food and a lock. There are two small pockets on the inside which I, unlike the previous poster, do find useful for smaller items. I can understand the point he made about the lid - it does feel a little small when the bag is really stuffed but otherwise it is ok.

Overall I am pleased with the bag and would buy it again.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 12:08:42 pm »
Worked ok for PBP, kept the water out so stuff not soaked but things were damp so half I used some dry bags to assist organisation. 

I still was 50:50 on to take this or my bike packing style bag, the latter being lighter by some margin when the mounting bracket is included. Overall I'm still on the fence.  Having used the side pockets it was quite good however I didn't go into the main section as often as I was expecting to so the bikepacking bag would have one out there because of its lightness.

On shorter rides, the Carradice probably edges past on its accessibility.

Regards,

Joergen