Linked Events

• Friday Night Ride to the Goths (from York): October 25, 2019

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to the Goths - Friday 25/10/2019  (Read 1739 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to the Goths - Friday 25/10/2019
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »
Excellent, Andy.

And you'd be most welcome, Mark (and anyone else). It's a social ride. At worst, we'll regroup occasionally, and I'll get someone to play Tail End Charlie.

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 09:14:15 pm »
Taken the plunge and bought a Scarbs-York rail ticket (£8), with bike reservn...
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 08:26:32 am »

[/quote]

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]

The GPS route says about 800m of elevation, which isn't super hilly. Knowing the area though, there's probably a couple of steep climbs.

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 08:56:55 am »

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]

The GPS route says about 800m of elevation, which isn't super hilly. Knowing the area though, there's probably a couple of steep climbs.
[/quote]
There is one short steepish climb.
The rest are long gradual drags, best done in a low gear (with warm clothes, it is always much, much colder than you expect). The stops are exposed and you definitely need a couple of extra layers to pop on at those.

Downhills are steep because North York moors are weird that way (the northern slopes are steep and the southern slopes are gentle). Two of the downhills can't really be run full no-brakes; a turn with a humpback bridge right at the bottom of one and a very tight right-hander halfway down the other (although tadpole recumbents can get down this at over 50mph).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 05:00:10 pm »

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]
There is one short steepish climb.
The rest are long gradual drags, best done in a low gear (with warm clothes, it is always much, much colder than you expect). The stops are exposed and you definitely need a couple of extra layers to pop on at those.

Downhills are steep because North York moors are weird that way (the northern slopes are steep and the southern slopes are gentle). Two of the downhills can't really be run full no-brakes; a turn with a humpback bridge right at the bottom of one and a very tight right-hander halfway down the other (although tadpole recumbents can get down this at over 50mph).
[/quote]Well.

I clearly don't know the area as well as I thought I did.

My autumn jacket is currently half unsewn, had best get that done.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk