Author Topic: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020  (Read 4898 times)

Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 05:08:18 pm »
I'm pleased to say that the event has been accepted by the Randonneurs Mondiaux for an LRM event . . .
This means the event must use a mandatory route
http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/files/Rules_2019.pdf
(LRM EVENT REGULATIONS (adopted 2019)
"3.15 . . . each rider will receive a brevet card specifying the location of and time limits for the checkpoints, and route information by GPS tracks or similar and/or traditional cue sheet indicating the route. Riders must stay on the route. If a rider leaves the route, they must return to the route at the same point prior to continuing, i.e., no shortcuts or detours from the route, unless specified by the organiser."

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
As the event is now mandatory route. How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille pennines, knock ventoyx etc)

I can see the first stage is routing over dartmoor which seems to me like it will not be the flattest route.
   Eddington  87 miles

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille pennines, knock ventoyx etc)
I can see the first stage is routing over dartmoor which seems to me like it will not be the flattest route.
I think that assessment is likely. I've had a stab at recreating the Googlemaps walking route for the first day/300k section Andy's published: https://lejog1400audax.com/event-route/.
Land's End to Weston-super-Mare (A30/Dartmoor/A38 route): Marazion, Lanner, Bodmin, Minions, Horsebridge, Tavistock, across Dartmoor, thru' Exeter, old A38 via Taunton
(Note: Very difficult to completely avoid the A30 dual carriageway on that line, and this will struggle with "LRM Rule 1.5 The distance of the course will be determined by the shortest distance between controls capable of being cycled safely on road" unless the A30 where dualled is deemed to be 'unsafe'.)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31360459?beta=false
305km + 3595m
An attractive route based on long (175k and 59k) sections of @Ian H's proven Kernow and SW 600 to Weston is 302km + 2998m. About the same distance but 600m less climb, that would go via Hayle, Newquay (control), Bude (control), Winkleigh, Bampton, and Taunton:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31360440?beta=false

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 03:29:01 pm »
"(LRM EVENT REGULATIONS (adopted 2019)
"3.15 . . . each rider will receive a brevet card specifying the location of and time limits for the checkpoints, and route information by GPS tracks or similar and/or traditional cue sheet indicating the route. Riders must stay on the route. If a rider leaves the route, they must return to the route at the same point prior to continuing, i.e., no shortcuts or detours from the route, unless specified by the organiser."
"

Thanks for that clarification Ajax Bay.

"As the event is now mandatory route. How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille Pennines, knock Ventoux etc)"

The event is being designed as nothing more than a special case of the End to End matching AUK rules (1400 km - 1470 km). As it's LRM the distance can't be under 1400 km, nor above 1470 km. I don't intend to have it anywhere near 1470 km (1435 km max)! The shortest "reasonable" route comes to about 1340 km so there has to be some dog-legs somewhere. However, I don't intend to throw in any needless hills (Hardknott; Great Dun Fell; Yorkshire Dales etc). I'll be down in Cornwall in a couple of weeks time finalising the first stage to Weston-Super-Mare.

I've made a note of the GPS tracks that have been created so far.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG Audax 2020

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 01:12:46 pm »
oops it seems i have registered for this

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »
"oops it seems i have registered for this"

I have your entry. I'll be emailing all the entrants giving an update on current progress sometime later this week.

Andy Corless