Author Topic: Quechua Quick Hiker 3 Fresh & Black  (Read 1426 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Quechua Quick Hiker 3 Fresh & Black
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:08:32 pm »
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tent-quickhiker-3-freshblack-id_8386029.html

I've now had this for about a year, and used it in a variety of weather conditions, so a review:

First and foremost the 'Fresh & Black' stuff actually works:  The white and silver outer successfully reflects an impressive amount of the sun's heat and light, so the tent doesn't turn into a sauna within an hour of dawn.  For me this means an extra hour or two of quality sleep on a summer morning, and fewer worries about exploding inflatable mats, damaged electronics or melted chocolate.  The inner is a BLACK that any goth would be proud of, and the combined effect is that - while you'll never be disturbed at night by vehicle headlights or a well-illuminated wash block - it can take a while for your eyes to adjust from the midday sun when you duck inside to find something.  You do need to keep a torch handy.  An unexpected side-effect of this darkness is that it makes the tent unattractive to the usual flying insects.

The design combines a European-style full length fly that keeps the wind and precipitation out, with a generously-ventilated inner (a combination of porous drip-proof fabric and mesh) of the kind more often found in American tents.  This makes it ideal for British summer conditions, where the overnight temperature will probably stay in the double-figures Celsius, but anything else - from oppressive heat to wind and heavy rain - is possible.  In practice I found that the temperature inside the tent will stay close to the meteorological air temperature as long as there's a breeze to circulate the air, but it can warm up in completely still conditions.  Like most dome tents, it stands up well to strong wind (and stray footballs), and while the fly appears to be admirably waterproof, it's hard to avoid getting dripped on when you unzip the door.  Condensation doesn't seem to be a problem (no unfortunate drips like the Vango Banshee), although the heat-reflective properties of the outer mean it does take a little longer to dry out compared to some other materials.  The floor seems waterproof, but somewhat flimsy - a footprint would be prudent on rough or thistly ground.

This is a three-person tent, with enough room that you could fit three friendly people in it, if you crammed their gear into the two symmetrical porches.  It's generous for two, and positively luxurious for one.  I discovered the Exped Airmat 12LXW would fit, which bodes well for taller people, and that there's just enough headroom to sit on a Helinox Chair One inside.  The inner has a generous assortment of storage pockets and hanging loops, and a line is included for hanging clothing to dry.  The outer has a clever arrangement at each end where the bottom edge of the fly can slide up a guy line for extra ventilation.  The 4kg pack size is a bit much for a solo cycle tourist, but it's still transportable by bike if you're doing more camping than loaded touring.  I've used it to good effect at the York Rally, and at multi-day HPV racing events, travelling by bike, train and car.

The tent pitches outer-first (or both together), but additional attachment points are provided so the inner can be pitched on its own if desired.  I particularly like the way they've used a combination of colour-coding and incompatible fasteners to ensure that the inner can only be fitted to the outer the correct way round.  The aluminium poles (which break down into pannier/backpack-friendly lengths) are the weak point of this tent:  I managed to break a pole (and tear the fly) on its second outing, which on close examination appeared to be due to a manufacturing defect where the pole was crimped to the insert, rather than the usual break where the sections join.  As it was within 30 days of purchase, I was able to obtain a complete new replacement.  I've used the new one several times without incident, but found that (presumably due to some manufacturing tolerance problem) it required unreasonable force to seat the poles in the end caps.  Looking at the reviews on the Decathlon site, I'm not the only person to have experienced this.  As I'd kept a few sections from the broken tent as spares (they supply a repair sleeve, but no spare pole sections or pegs), I opted to shorten both the main poles by 20mm, which has resolved this issue.  The 12 anodised alloy pegs are a no-nonsense round design, so there's scope for a bit of weight-saving there, and I reckon they'd be improved by not being a hard-to-spot gold colour.

All in all, at £119 I reckon it's a good value warm-weather tent.  The 'Fresh & Black' concept is more than the gimmick I initially suspected it might be, and seems to be gaining traction with other tent manufacturers.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Re: Quechua Quick Hiker 3 Fresh & Black
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:13:21 am »

:thumbsup:
I looked long and hard at one of these (on the internet) recently, and had there been one at my local Decathlon that weekend, I would have had it. I ended up with a half-price Vango Halo thing and am very pleased with it also.

How effective is the lower zip-down vent/cubby hole? I liked that feature.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:18:13 pm »
I see they do a 2-person version, but it still weighs 3kg. A shame, perhaps, they don't do a 1-er.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:13 pm »
I see they do a 2-person version, but it still weighs 3kg. A shame, perhaps, they don't do a 1-er.

I have one of these, which is 2 kg:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html

Doesn't have the goth coating though. But you can open both sides to air it out pretty well.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »
How effective is the lower zip-down vent/cubby hole? I liked that feature.

Pretty effective.  When fully closed it keeps the breeze off you surprisingly well (as all the mesh is in the upper part of the inner).  When open it makes a huge difference in the amount of air circulation (especially if you open the top part of the inner doors too), and the mesh state is somewhere in between.  It's more a ventilation thing than a storage space, but you could probably fit a couple of shoes there.

The associated fly-sliding-up-a-guyrope-to-let-more-air-in arrangement is pretty clever, in a low-tech sort of way.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:39:43 pm »

Yeah, I considered that one, but decided that since I already have several smaller tents (and one massive one), something in the middle would be more useful, for low-faff car camping.