Author Topic: Alpkit Trinity 190 - lamp  (Read 388 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Alpkit Trinity 190 - lamp
« on: August 07, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »
used in anger for the first time last week.  Worked perfectly well in terms of light output and ability to turn up/down.  Used dangling from one of the attachment loops on the bivvy.

Only problem is it leaked - first night next to Loch Lomond was wet, but the lamp was not in direct raien adn never dropped on the floor. looked like a bit of condensation inside, but on dismantluing now there is (presumably galvanic) corrosion around the battery holder, connections and battery. There is also soem odd discolouration on the base.  I'll give Alpkit a call as this is not what I'd expect considering the price
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Alpkit Trinity 190 - lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:48:21 pm »
I've got one of those that's served well on several car-camping trips, as well as general torch duty around the house.  Not sure  if I've ever exposed it to much in the way of wet stuff, though.

Its main failing - which is hardly unique - is the low PWM frequency, which means it has to be on 100% brightness to not give barakta migraine.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »
the spec gives it IPX5 rating, so it did not live up to the promise.

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:58:19 pm »
their very excellent response was "that doesn't sound right, send it back to us and we'll have a look", they even found the original order number for me to put on the returns label as I couldn't find it

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
I'm very pleased with mine. It hung in the tent every evening for ten days of Welsh weather (where even when it didn't rain the tent roof had high levels of condensation on the inside) over the past two weeks and there's no evidence of water ingress so hopefully you will have better luck with the replacement.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:11:14 am »
A new one has just arrived in the post  :thumbsup: