Author Topic: Why was it so cold?  (Read 9256 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Why was it so cold?
« Reply #25 on: 18 January, 2023, 10:51:19 am »

The largest diurnal range I think I have encountered on an Audax is in the Kernow and South West, I think it was at the tail end of May but might have been early June, where it was 4C in the North Devon valleys and 26C later that day on the hilly last stage to Exeter.
Last day of LEL;  9C in the early morning mist in the fens, and 37C in Essex approaching the finish, 10 hours later

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2023, 02:32:45 pm »

The largest diurnal range I think I have encountered on an Audax is in the Kernow and South West, I think it was at the tail end of May but might have been early June, where it was 4C in the North Devon valleys and 26C later that day on the hilly last stage to Exeter.
Last day of LEL;  9C in the early morning mist in the fens, and 37C in Essex approaching the finish, 10 hours later

I didn't ride the last LEL as it clashed with my 30th wedding anniversary - but remember soaking in the Buckinghamshire heat and being glad that I wasn't riding
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2023, 01:37:29 pm »
I've ridden PBP three times.  The only time I think the temperature did not drop below 10C at night was in 2007, where it stayed around 13C night and day whilst raining for about half the time.  Having said that, I will probably jinx this event to be a heatwave, but I have packed bib tights and used them each time.

I think the 2009 LEL would have trumped that...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #28 on: 24 January, 2023, 05:43:06 pm »
If I recall correctly I had 27 hours of riding in the rain in PBP 2007 and 31 hours of riding in the rain on LEL 2009.  I missed the worst of the storm on the way back from Edinburgh but remember 11 hours of solid headwind back to Alston and drying out in a cold bed in Middleton Tyas only for the next day to have several hours of stair-rod rain through the Yorkshire flatlands and pondering where all the water went.  I stopped at about 8pm in the control south of Lincoln (can't remember its name for the moment) as I had time in hand and riding through a wet night seemed silly.  It was fine the next day and the controllers had turned a big area into a sort of drying room. 
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #29 on: 24 January, 2023, 05:59:45 pm »
If I recall correctly I had 27 hours of riding in the rain in PBP 2007 and 31 hours of riding in the rain on LEL 2009.  I missed the worst of the storm on the way back from Edinburgh but remember 11 hours of solid headwind back to Alston and drying out in a cold bed in Middleton Tyas only for the next day to have several hours of stair-rod rain through the Yorkshire flatlands and pondering where all the water went.  I stopped at about 8pm in the control south of Lincoln (can't remember its name for the moment) as I had time in hand and riding through a wet night seemed silly.  It was fine the next day and the controllers had turned a big area into a sort of drying room. 

Washingborough would have been the control south of Lincoln IIRC.

I on the other hand, shivered into the Alston control and went into the drying room fully clothed in an attempt to rescue my sodden GPS... I had to literally crawl out as my body slowly shut down in the insane warmth  :facepalm:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2023, 09:24:03 am »
I'm so glad both PBP 2019 and LEL 2022 were dry.

I'll take the crazy temperature ranges over that much rain any time.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2023, 04:57:24 pm »
LEL 2009 had both biblical rain and crazy temperature ranges.

These climatic conditions are not mutually exclusive for a long-distance, multi-day event...

« Reply #32 on: 25 January, 2023, 06:01:38 pm »
I’d rather have the rain. Rain I can handle.