Author Topic: SpedDial aftermarket Brompton hinge clamps  (Read 1215 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
SpedDial aftermarket Brompton hinge clamps
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:44 pm »
Brompton hinge clamp plates have a habit of rotating out of alignment when folding, which means a couple of seconds more time to realign the clamp plates when unfolding. If the clamp bolts are left loose when a Brompton is in a car boot or when flying, the bolts can rattle out of hinges, which can be awkward afterwards.

Many aftermarket clamp plates are asymmetric to maintain alignment and are often spring-loaded to push the clamp plates off the hinges (no need to flick stuck plates off the hinges when folding) but they don’t solve all problems. Some designs risk springs getting munched due to tight clearances. As paint comes off the hinges, the aluminium clamp plates wear and the hinge pins wear, the plates can bottom out on the hinges, resulting in wobbly hinges. Not ideal, particularly in the handlebar stem hinge.

In addition, virtually all aftermarket clamp plates are parallel-sided shapes, unlike the original Brompton plates. The originals are subtly barrel-shaped which clamps the hinges at the corners only, which tends to stabilise the hinges as wear occurs. Most aftermarket plates will clamp tightly in the middle of their contact length but allow movement of the corners. Again, not ideal.

Some aftermarket hinge bolts have circlips or securing bolts or nuts to prevent the bolts from rattling out or, even better, restrict the hinge bolt from being undone too far. Just unwind the bolt to the stop and the hinge clamp is in the perfect position to allow folding without the asymmetric clamp rotating.

The only aftermarket hinge clamp set I’ve found that combines all of these desirable traits is the SpedDial clamp kit (Mk 2). Expensive but does exactly what it says on the tin and there is more clearance to the end of the hinges. That means that they don’t bottom out on worn hinges (like my bike does with the original clamps). The only niggle is that I had to trim a couple of millimetres off the main frame hinge bolt to allow the Brompton tool kit to clear. The long bolt (intended for the older SWB hinges) was a shade too long to clear and the (LWB) short bolt didn’t reach the nut’s Nyloc. I suspect the worn hinges on my bike are the reason.

EDIT - ditto for the stem bolt, the long bolt was perhaps 0.5mm too long.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: SpedDial aftermarket Brompton hinge clamps
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 11:24:14 am »
Where did you pick up your set from? I've pondered replacing the clamps on my Brompton, but am enough of a bike tart to want black ano clamps to match the existing ones...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:30:24 am »
https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/SpedDial.html which is fine to order from, until the Brexit quantum superposition collapses. My clamps are black, though I thought I'd ordered silver.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »
Hmmm, thanks - that's tempting. I've also got the toolkit, so might have to trim the bolts as well - how did you do this?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:20:02 pm »
Hacksaw plus ‘guide nut’ and file.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:47:09 pm »
Thanks - I reckon that's within my level competence (famous last words...)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:01:25 pm »
Those look rather nice, though not nice enough to replace my bit-of-plastic-tub-and-appropriately-sized-spring...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:56:11 am »
With other aftermarket clamp plates and added springs, I’d previously munched a couple of springs and developed play in the hinges. Swapping to this arrangement solved those problems and I gained the unscrewing limit nut, which was nice. When HK’s Brompton develops play in the hinges and the current asymmetric clamp plates bottom out, I’ll get another SpedDial set.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 01:54:27 pm »
I fitted my set today (along with the front mudguard bumper I'd ordered at the same time, because why not?). I don't know if they've changed the bolts at all - the shorter ones were fine for both hinges, even with the toolkit fitted. They do seem to have replaced the nyloc stop nuts with thin normal nuts. So far so happy - I've not used them in anger yet, but they seem to do away with one of the stock Brompton's minor niggles nicely.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 02:00:42 pm »
Be careful that the adjustment on the thin nuts doesn’t change over time.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 02:19:12 pm »
Yes, it looks like there should be enough clearance to fit another one as a locknut if necessary, so may well do that.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 06:42:43 pm »
Yes, it looks like there should be enough clearance to fit another one as a locknut if necessary, so may well do that.

Or use some loctite (blue)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:23:11 pm »
Those look rather nice, though not nice enough to replace my bit-of-plastic-tub-and-appropriately-sized-spring...

I guess I've done something similar to you. After seeing how good the Speedial is on LWaB's bike I looked to buying, until I realised it would be 48Euros  :hand:

My prototype has cost me:

2 matches
A little impact adhesive
4 small pieces of packaging foam (recycled)

This seems to be working reliably after a few weeks. I currently count the required ~3.5 turns to undo, I may look at a nut and locktite in the future.

So total cost around 1p?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 12:32:37 pm »
I probably paid a quid for the springs, but the plastic tub was free.

It's a standard Brompton bodge:  Edge of plastic tub (with a 90degree bend in in) cut to form a liner for the existing hinge clamp, that sticks out on one side, preventing the clamp from rotating.  Hole drilled right up against the bend to be a relatively tight fit on the bolt, so it can act as a washer.  Compression spring inside that to push the plastic (and therefore the clamp) outwards as the bolt unscrews.  Voila: one-fingered operation.  Since you've got the other hand free for pre-loading the hinge, you stop twiddling when the fold happens, and don't over-loosen the bolt.

Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 07:27:31 pm »
A couple of weeks' regular use in, and I'm still very happy with mine - the finger dimple on the clamps is a minor but useful ergonomic upgrade, and the lock nut likewise. Yes, they're a luxury purchase, but a useful one.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 07:48:49 pm »
I managed to mush up a couple of springs over a few years of sporadic use when I had a ghetto version of the SpedDial. No such problem with the real thing, though early days yet. I'm just happy that the SpedDial clamps can cope with more hinge wear than any other clamps I've used and they are worth the money for that alone; the other stuff is just a bonus.