Author Topic: Cafe/lightweight lock reviews...  (Read 845 times)

Cafe/lightweight lock reviews...
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:42:29 pm »
Quick review of my current lock...

Following the failure of my little Oxford Combi lock (150cm) and nearly being stuck with bike locked to a cafe's wooden fence, I now use this...

Kryptonite loop cable Krypto Flex 76 cm, ⌀5mm, grey  ~£8
ABUS 145/40 Combination Padlock - Orange  ~£10

Weight ~175g

IMG_20190803_171722825 by ao, on Flickr

Cable is a tad shorter than I was used to, but is OK, and one can get extra reach, by 'looping through'...

IMG_20190908_1 by ao, on Flickr  *

Combi lock numbers are black on shiney, so will be easy to read in dim light, unlike my previous dark red numbers on black metal.

* top marks if you recognise the cafe from the picture...   ;)
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Re: Cafe/lightweight lock reviews...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »
Quick review of my current lock...

Following the failure of my little Oxford Combi lock (150cm) and nearly being stuck with bike locked to a cafe's wooden fence, I now use this...

Kryptonite loop cable Krypto Flex 76 cm, ⌀5mm, grey  ~£8
ABUS 145/40 Combination Padlock - Orange  ~£10

Weight ~175g

IMG_20190803_171722825 by ao, on Flickr

Cable is a tad shorter than I was used to, but is OK, and one can get extra reach, by 'looping through'...

IMG_20190908_1 by ao, on Flickr  *

Combi lock numbers are black on shiney, so will be easy to read in dim light, unlike my previous dark red numbers on black metal.

* top marks if you recognise the cafe from the picture...   ;)
Tutti Pole, Hungerford.
Where do I collect my prize?

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:58:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Receive top marks...  ;D

IMG_TuttiPole by ao, on Flickr
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:43 pm »
The only thing about that, that is surprising, is the fact that I've only ever been there once.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:34:28 pm »
I've used the same Kryptonite cable with a keyed Abus - small or medium, depending on where I'm going. Being brass bodied, they're a bit chunky at 75g and 141g respectively, and the cable is 65g, but I'll take that if it means I keep my bike.

IMG_2859 by ela-ted, on Flickr

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:42:41 pm »
I got this in a sale for £0.05 (!), for the price it's terrific. I don't know if I'd pay £7 for it but keep an eye out for sales.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLJOIMRELO/jobsworth-ristretto-retractable-cafe-lock
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:04:24 pm »
I have a Knog Milkman (no longer made) that weights 120g and is designed to fit in a jersey pocket (the case is curved!). OK if you can see your bike, but whenever I've had to, say, go into a big supermarket in a busy area, I've always imagined someone seeing the comedy 2mm cable and finding some pliers or even decent scissors and cutting it before I'm back. It's also designed so you lock up your bike without finding your keys, which is great if you're 100% you still have them, but I never am.

I also have a £2.99 Decathlon 100. Mine weighs 178g. It's the minimum thickness (7.5mm, including plastic) that I think would deter anyone not already tooled up. The key mechanism seems reasonable too*. Not at all jersey pocket friendly, but you could happily dangle it from a rack or saddle or handlebar. I'd rather it was half the length and half the weight though.

(* I was looking at the little cable locks in Poundland and wanted to check how they respond to the wrong key being inserted from another lock. They don't unlock, but if you keep trying to force it the entire lock barrel disintegrates...)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:10:40 pm »
I definitely wouldn't rely on mine for leaving outside a supermarket. It's more for leaving the group's bikes secured together outside the cafe window while we hide from the cold sort of thing. Also supplemented by cross chaining the bikes in small-small and then shifting the levers into the biggest gears without turning the cranks, hopefully even if Burglar bill does cut the lock and tries to nick a bike the drivetrain will lock up and he'll panic and run away.

For actual unattended-outside-shop duties I borrow my parents' bordo 5700 which is a bit more robust.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 08:24:01 pm »
For actual unattended-outside-shop duties I borrow my parents' bordo 5700 which is a bit more robust.

This seems as good a time as any to mention the Bordo Lite:  In security terms, it's marginally better than a decent cable (I think the weak point is the lock mechanism itself), but it has two distinct advantages:

1) To the untrained eye, it looks the same as a proper Bordo.
2) It's *much* lighter.

I reckon it's more a touring lock than a cafe lock.  Sort of thing you'd be happy with using on a campsite, or when popping into a shop for 20 minutes.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »
I'm another with one of those Kryptonite cables, which IIRC came with a proper D-lock and is intended for locking accessories. I use mine with a little brass padlock rather than a combination lock. I wouldn't normally rely on it for supermarket duty, it's a cafe/audax style lock, but yesterday I used it while I popped in Sainsbury's in the middle of Gloucester. Not ideal for central Gloucester at gone 9pm on a Saturday night, so I locked the bike to the outside of the bars surrounding the trolley stands (I'm sure these are identical to Sheffield stands, they look it at least) rather than the official (and plentiful) bike parking, which is – of course – in a dark corner. Bike was still there (and Sainsbury's "mac and cheese style pasta meal" is every bit as disgusting as it sounds, but all calories are good calories at that time with a couple of hours till home!).
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 09:07:54 pm »
I fairly often end up in big supermarkets on audaxes due to my self-inflicted combination of fussy eating / cheapskatery / never-having-time-for-a-sit-down-meal, hence my quest for something resembling a proper lock that doesn't weigh more than my bike.

The Bordo Lite is pretty interesting as a touring lock, but I'm still down Abus after the time the key snapped in my very expensive full-size Bordo and when I emailed to complain their response was "no it didn't".

(they might have used a few more words)