Author Topic: Ottolock - 2 years on  (Read 1236 times)

Ottolock - 2 years on
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:26:50 am »
Just wondering how people are getting on with their Ottolocks?  The strap which holds it coiled has given up on mine.  Has anyone found a suitable replacement?  Getting them sent from the USA is ridiculously expensive!

Re: Ottolock - 2 years on
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:50 am »
The strap on mine failed a couple of weeks ago. I guess that some kind of generic velcro strap would work as a replacement.

A lot of the paint has been jiggled off the body while it has been rattling around in my bar bag but the mechanism still feels OK.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:07 am »
Is it really 2 years? Still happy with mine, I normally carry in a bag or pocket so haven't any comment on the strap. Somewhere I have a long one I bought and never used, which I suppose I should sell sometime.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:57:43 am »
Through a group buy on here I had a long one.  I only wanted it for touring purposes being light but more to point being compact.  I used it last year for a couple of weeks but was never confident with it.  Firstly there was the phobia that somebody might be attracted to give it a go since it seems flimsy, and in frustration could ruin the strap on the outside of the lock meaning I could not release it.  Secondly, I've never trusted combination locks.  Back to the cable lock I've been using since 1974.

I donated it to the York Rally to sell for their funds.  They had it priced at £8 but did not find a buyer.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:18:48 pm »
The strap on mine failed a couple of weeks ago. I guess that some kind of generic velcro strap would work as a replacement.

It would, but it would easily get lost or misplaced - by me anyway.  Wondering how something can be bodged that would stay on the lock.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 01:00:30 pm »
Mine's still fine.  Gets used once or twice a week, fits in jersey pocket, bike hasn't been nicked.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »
My very long version has kinked at the lock end from spending a couple of days tightly coiled up - not sure it is going to fix itself, it does cause some problems when pushing the ribbon through the lock.
My original group buy one (short version) the rubber keeper band gave up on so I bought a couple of spares when I bought the long one... trouble is - I have no idea where in the house these now are!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:44:28 pm »
Has anyone found a suitable replacement?  Getting them sent from the USA is ridiculously expensive!
https://www.bikester.co.uk/ottolock-otto-mount-black-786433.html

There's a new extra tough version now, the "hexband". Seems to be the same, but with 6 layers of steel/kevlar rather than 3. Weight up from 145g to 190g for the 18" version.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 02:39:58 pm »

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 02:46:32 pm »
Yes, that was posted here a few months ago. Not very reassuring. Hopefully most bike thieves don't have tin snips in their armoury.  The lock is only really usable as a deterrent and first line of defence - for that purpose it's fine.

Thanks for the links for the replacement strap and new lock, Andrew. Interesting.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 03:19:10 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D15QH72xfPA
Two hands required on the snips for the tough version, rather than one for the regular version.
Still, they are quite resistant to the wrong tools, relatively uncommon, and fairly light, so I think the Ottolock isn't any worse than a light to medium cable, which is also choppable in instants with the correct tool.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 06:30:44 pm »
You can can the full lock as well through bikester

https://www.bikester.co.uk/ottolock-cinch-lock-lock-75-cm-green-786418.html

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:10:11 am »
Has anyone found a suitable replacement?  Getting them sent from the USA is ridiculously expensive!
https://www.bikester.co.uk/ottolock-otto-mount-black-786433.html

By the look of things that's £8 per strap + postage (unless I'm missing something).  That's outrageous!  In the US they are $5 per pack of 3. 

The cost price is probably a few pence.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »
Yes, that was posted here a few months ago. Not very reassuring. Hopefully most bike thieves don't have tin snips in their armoury.  The lock is only really usable as a deterrent and first line of defence - for that purpose it's fine.

Thanks for the links for the replacement strap and new lock, Andrew. Interesting.

Portland police said "about half" of those arrested.

The LPL could probably open the thing in 30 seconds anyway.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 01:52:48 pm »

Portland police said "about half" of those arrested.

The LPL could probably open the thing in 30 seconds anyway.
I've only found videos of him using $10 tin snips, to great effect.

One comment made me grin:
better to tie a bra around the wheel. For most people they take longer time to open
Although I suspect it would be more accurate to say "For most blokes they take longer time to open".

ETA: Bosnianbill shims it in 5 of seconds at about 4:50 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbeBveRgms
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 02:54:28 pm »

ETA: Bosnianbill shims it in 5 of seconds at about 4:50 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbeBveRgms

That's a defective one, I think, as an operational one is proof against shimming