Author Topic: Maths question  (Read 668 times)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
Maths question
« on: September 18, 2019, 09:04:35 pm »
I have a formula but I cannot remember whether I multiply everything in the brackets by C then that answer to the power of 0.5 or the other way round, the brackets to the power of 0.5 and then multiply that by C. Help!

f0 = C [ (m1 + m2) / (m1 x m2 x d)]^0.5

Re: Maths question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:15:18 pm »
Powers are evaluated before multiplication, in the absence of controlling brackets

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:15:52 pm »
sqrt first, multiply later.

Think of it like the generic quadratic formula: ax2+bx+c

BODMAS:

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:41:46 am »
Funny: after >50 years mucking about with computers I have operator-precedence engraved on my heart, but when I saw that BODMAS thing in an FB post I couldn't work out where the O came from. Exponentiation & Power don't hack it.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:14:32 pm »
Funny: after >50 years mucking about with computers I have operator-precedence engraved on my heart, but when I saw that BODMAS thing in an FB post I couldn't work out where the O came from. Exponentiation & Power don't hack it.

When I was taught it as a scrawny second-year, the 'O' stood for "pOwers Of".  This appeared to be irritatingly memorable.

I expect kids today are singing it to the tune of Humpty Dumpty or something.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:18:01 pm »
I was taught BEDMAS with the E standing for Exponents, or was it Equations?
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:24:13 pm »
Exponents.

BEDMAS / BODMAS / PEDMAS / PODMAS are all the same.

Brackets / Parentheses
Orders / Exponents

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:50:01 pm »
BIDMAS (I=Indices)

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:59:10 pm »
I was taught it as "O=over", i.e. come before.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 05:15:30 pm »
Nuther one: take the expression  a(b+c)

In NI I we would say this as "a upon b+c", but when I went to Scotland they said it as "a into b+c".  For me, into meant divide, so that meant (b+c)/a, whereas for them "a upon b+c" meant a/(b+c); although more commonly we would both use "over" for divided by.

My first term in Edinburgh was a wee bit hairy at times.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 05:33:43 pm »

It's been an eternity since I did maths out loud, but if I had to pronounce it I'd either read out the brakcets, or say "a times b-plus-c", hoping to convey the precedence with speed and intonation[1].

In NI I we would say this as "a upon b+c", but when I went to Scotland they said it as "a into b+c".  For me, into meant divide, so that meant (b+c)/a, whereas for them "a upon b+c" meant a/(b+c); although more commonly we would both use "over" for divided by.

Driving lessons in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire were interesting.  "Stop in this lane here" he said...

[1] Inspired by a lecturer getting into a muddle about how to pronounce the serifs, I've also been known to say "class" and "clarse" to differentiate class and Class in OO programming.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 07:12:12 pm »

a open paren b plus c close paren

or

a times brackets b plus c

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 10:26:37 pm »
In school maths we were taught that these () are brackets and these [] are square brackets. 40 years after leaving school I learned that these () are parentheses and these [] are brackets.

It's one of those USAnian vs Commonwealth English distinctions.  I grew up with adults saying one thing and computer manuals saying another, and soon got the hang of it.  A bit like code switching expletives, really.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 10:57:22 pm »

Another vote for "into".  Yes, I'm Scottish, too, but I also recall that use on my engineering degree course at an English university.

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 11:19:10 pm »
Now you know why most maths gets written down :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 11:48:32 am »

For me, into and over would both mean divide but in opposite directions. "a into b" would mean b/a, whereas "a over b" would mean a/b. But I'm not a mathematician.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree