Author Topic: Gorilla Cages and Bags  (Read 2201 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
Gorilla Cages and Bags
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »
The Gorilla Cage carries various sorts of luggage on various parts of your bike using either the three-bolt mounting popularised by Salsa’s Anything Cage and now taken advantage of by many manufacturers or the conventional two-bolt water-bottle cage mounts. Using these it can carry luggage on your forks, down tube, seat tube, or just about anywhere you have enough space using the special clip that’s also available (not reviewed here because I don’t have one). 

What makes the Gorilla Cage slightly different from the Anything Cage, Everything Cage and various others is that it can be quickly and easily removed from the bike, reattached, repeat as often as you want, leaving nothing behind when detached other than two or three black plastic cleats which protrude from the bike no more than 1cm and are approximately 2cm in diameter. This makes it much more unobtrusive, both visually and in terms of weight or items to clash with other bikes when parked, etc, than most luggage carriers.
On to the cleats you clip the Gorilla Cage itself. The cage has a rigid plastic spine with a small foot and three velcro straps. It seems pretty strong, the velcro sticks well and is longer than you’re likely to need.

You could use the Gorilla Cage with any suitably sized dry bag but the Gorilla Bag, being made for the purpose, fits perfectly. In fact, it’s perhaps slightly narrower and taller than a non-specific dry bag of the same size, so if you want to carry something fatter than ~18cm diameter, you might be better off with an ordinary dry bag. But the Gorilla Bag has loops on each side through which you can thread the straps of the Cage, joining the bag and cage into one unit which comes off the bike in one movement for packing and unpacking. It’s made of tougher material than any other dry bag I’ve ever seen – it’s more like a pannier by, say, Ortlieb – which bodes well for durability. The bags are available in black, grey and orange, but the orange costs £1 more (per bag – they’re sold individually not in pairs, so you can mix and match). This is presumably because only the orange has a reflective logo. We all like shiny, but this one probably isn’t worth paying for; it’s a small logo and being high up on the bag, is likely to be folded over. The bags could hold anything but are probably best with things which are either soft, like clothes or a small sleeping bag, or roughly cylindrical.

I used the Gorilla Cages and Bags on the fork of my Specialized Sequoia adventure/gravel/all-road/fatter-tyred tourer (delete as takes your fancy), which has two mounts in standard bottle-cage spacing. It was rock solid over 4 days and 300+km of riding on tarmac, mud and gravel. The effect on handling was negligible, though presumably this is going to depend on your bike’s geometry. I had clothes in one bag and a sleeping mat and a couple of small items in the other.

One thing I did find was that if I packed the bag too tall, it could graze on my knee when starting off, but this wasn’t a big problem. Anecdotally, I noticed oncoming traffic in narrow lanes being more willing to give way – the bags are nowhere near as wide as the bars but they’re probably more of a noticeable, eye-catching width. I only had a few showers but the tough material and roll-top closure certainly look as if they’ll live up to their 100% waterproof claim. One oddity is that the bags have a washing label! I can’t see the point; the outside can easily be wiped down and the inside shouldn’t really get dirty, depending on what you put in it of course.

The Gorilla Cages and Bags probably aren’t as large as conventional front panniers and won’t carry such a variety of shapes, but they weigh less, have less effect on handling IME and can be removed in seconds leaving no rack or framework on the bike.

https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle-products/gorilla-cage-for-bike-packing/#.XYj9XH7QjIU
https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/accessories/gorilla-cage-dry-bag-5-5lts/#.XYj9k37QjIU
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Re: Gorilla Cages and Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:29:11 pm »
Nice review.

I tried mine out a few weeks back for the first time. And, whilst the stuff sacs I used worked, they were very annoying, so the statement 'any stuff-sac' should come with the rider 'subject to varying levels of grief'. Nothing fatal, but stiffer materialled bags are probably better - hence the Gorilla own-brand bags are now on my Christmas list.

But I'm more than happy to still use the Gorilla cages. They allow me to relocate my sleeping mat and the tent inner & outer onto a set of carbon forks without seriously affecting the handling of the bike and freeing up pannier bag space.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:22 pm »
I've only used them with the Gorilla Bags, so that's useful input.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:55:11 pm »
I've used a Gorilla Clip to provide a mounting point on the boom of my tourer.  Mostly for the purposes of carrying a fuel bottle in a Monkii Cage, though a Gorilla Cage will also fit if the load isn't too wide.  The Gorilla Clip is a bit of plastic with the three cleats that fixes in place with cable ties and rubber padding, so there's not much to say about it other than it works.

https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/accessories/gorilla-clip-for-gorilla-cage-and-monkii-system/
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »
A thing which would be worth saying about the Gorilla Clip (or its Monkii cousin) would be that it is or isn't secure when fastened to your seat post or more vitally forks. But as yours is horizontal, we'll have to leave that.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:16:33 pm »
Yeah, mounted horizontally on a suspended bike isn't particularly challenging for it.  The weak point in the system is tensioning of the velcro strap around the fuel bottle in varied weather conditions, as gravity isn't working to keep the bottle in the cage.  A bit of inner tube around the bottle seems to make the difference.

I do have a Monkii clip (two-cleat version that clamps to a tube) vertically on the stem of my Brompton, which over several hundred miles and various COR incidents has proven to be more secure than a Brompton's headset.  Make of that what you will.

I note they've come out with a new Brompton-specific variation on the Monkii Clip which looks less fugly, and is presumably easier to fit without breaking (the standard one requires a sensitive torque wrench and a degree of luck to avoid over-tightening).
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 10:23:21 pm »

I've used mine with Alpkit airlok Xtra 5L dry bags. My fork isn't drilled for mounting, so I've used the BRAD stuff[1][2] form Wolf tooth to mount a gorilla cage and a bottle cage to each fork. I only use a 500ml HDPE nalgene bottle in the cage, to limit weight. This is my winter bivving setup, Duvet jacket goes in left cage, exped winterlite downmat goes in the right hand cage.

J

[1]https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/b-rad-system/products/b-rad-bottle-relocation-and-accessory-device
[2]https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/b-rad-system/products/b-rad-double-bottle-cage-adapter
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 11:21:58 pm »
That looks like a Blackburn Outpost cage and something else more like a regular bottle cage. Neither of them appears to be a Gorilla Cage. Same function but different design, perhaps the most salient difference being that (as far as I can see) the Blackburn design stays on the bike permanently. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
That looks like a Blackburn Outpost cage and something else more like a regular bottle cage. Neither of them appears to be a Gorilla Cage. Same function but different design, perhaps the most salient difference being that (as far as I can see) the Blackburn design stays on the bike permanently.

My bad, I seem to have confused the 2.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:18:41 pm »

My bad, I seem to have confused the 2.

J
You just need to start a thread reviewing the Blackburn Outpost now.  :)