Author Topic: How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?  (Read 702 times)

How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
Sorry for this slightly prosaic question. Most of the folders I'm looking at have the fitting points for a water bottle cage. However since it is dead horizontal I don't see how you could leave a bottle in there without it falling out?

Apologies if i'm missing something dead obvious :D

Kim

• Timelord
Re: How do you fit a water bottle to a folder?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
Vertically on the stem seems to be the usual approach for Bromptons, if only for ease of access.  I've got a Monkii Clip on mine, which takes a bottle (not necessarily a cycling bidon) in a Monkii Cage.  This ends up with the bottle upside-down at a 45 degree angle if you fold the bike, and is solid enough to carry onto a train like that (though the bottle may leak a bit, so I tend to flip it the other way round).  Similar fixings exist from other manufacturers eg. Rixen & Kaul Klickfix.

But more generally, bottle cages do work horizontally.  It's pretty standard to mount cages on the boom of recumbents, though they're less of a getting-kicked risk than above the main tube of a folder, and normally a few degrees off the horizontal.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 07:01:11 pm »

I have the Bottle Klik from klikfix. It's on the handlebar upright of my Brompton.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:40:58 pm »
Which folders are you looking at?  Those I've had - Tern, Airnimal, Dahon and back to Airnimal, have all had a slightly sloping main tube and the bottle has happily sat there over many miles.  Just choose a grippy cage and a well fitting bottle, I use Ciussi Elite cages and Camelback Podium bottles, though I'm sure there'll be plenty of others.
Gratuitous link
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg2430152#msg2430152

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 09:44:34 pm »
You can get Velcro mounted bottle cages but depends on shape of tubes. Rectangular tubes would perhaps be not so secure.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »
I’ve lost a bottle out of a (loose fitting) vertical bottle cage on my Brompton, which I think is an important data point in our analysis.

Those cheapo plastic clamp on ones work quite well, but there’s limited space for one on the handlebars so I have it on the back of the seat post for a second bottle.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 10:28:42 pm »
I did have problems with a bottle bouncing out on my Tern Verge X18. I've now gone for a cage that gives a much tighter grip. There are one or two with "locks" of various kinds to hold the bottle in place.

But yes, on the Brompton, I've got a Klickfix one mounted vertically on the stem. It's carefully positioned to avoid fouling a bag or the fold.