Author Topic: Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo  (Read 587 times)

Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:21:01 am »
My B&M Lumotec IQ-X has failed due what looks like water ingress (an all-too-common problem?), so I'm looking for a more reliable dynamo light + USB dynamo charger replacement.

I'm leaning towards a B&M USB-Werk at the moment (light TBC), but I have no idea how it works with a dynamo light. Is some cable splicing required to have the dynamo connected to both the light and the USB charger, and if so, how is switching between the two handled..? Or it it just a case of disconnecting and connecting the appropriate cable, as required..?

T42

• Tea tank
Re: Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 03:19:45 pm »
If you're running off a Shimano dynamo you shove both USB-Werk & light cables into the plug. If you're running off a SON you need special piggyback spade clips like this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/schmidt-cable-connector-noninsulated-48-mm-female-with-piggyback-connector-pack-of-20/

My USB-Werk & battery have had a couple of good drenchings - no problems.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
Or you can do something neater with a connector of choice so that you can connect and disconnect the charger without interfering with the lighting wiring.

Either way, they just run in parallel.  If the lights are on at the same time as the charger's working, you get slightly less light and a lot less charge.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 11:43:12 am »
Ah, I see... Presumably the cable from the hub can be split any any point (piggy back clips at the light, for instance)? I'd rather not have that level of clip and cable  complication at the SON hub itself.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:35:05 pm »
Ah, I see... Presumably the cable from the hub can be split any any point (piggy back clips at the light, for instance)? I'd rather not have that level of clip and cable  complication at the SON hub itself.

Yeah, absolutely.  On my tourer, I have the cable run from the hub, splitting at a female Tamiya connector at the lowrider rack, up to a switch at the handlebars (because the IQ-X switch fault isn't funny on a recumbent), and then along the boom to the front light.  My E-Werk lives safely in one of the front panniers with whatever it's charging, with the input cable terminating in a male Tamiya emerging from the pannier.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
You kind of have to live with joining them at the hub if you go for a light with a captive cable (like the otherwise excellent Edelux 2).

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
You kind of have to live with joining them at the hub if you go for a light with a captive cable (like the otherwise excellent Edelux 2).

Only if you run the full length of that captive cable to the hub.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:08:18 pm »
For an conventional upright, put the joint up inside the steerer above the mudguard bolt with a plastic wine cork and a few cable ties or helicopter tape to hold cables in place.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
Or do something like this:

The joint is in the back of the female Tamiya connector.  Charger plugs in with a male Tamiya when needed.  Tamiya connectors are non-shorting when wet, and dry out quickly - I've done thousands of miles (mostly without anything plugged in) on two bikes with this sort of arrangement without any problems.  Everything's nicely secured to the bracket for strain relief.  The inline spade connectors to the right are the cable to the rear light.

Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:14:10 pm »
While piggyback spade connectors do the trick, I’m not crazy about this arrangement. I can rewire to tidy things up and move this lump of plugs out of sight, but it still strikes me as a bodge.

Is there some compact junction box-type component that would provide a more elegant solution for a permanent three-way connection (dynamo, front light and USB adapter)..? I’m fairly clueless about options here and am not sure what to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 05:26:56 pm »
Personally I'd solder and heatshrink.  But a Wago connector might do the trick.  Not sure how they handle getting wet.

« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:18:26 am »
SON have recently, or it's recently come to me attention, started doing a range of connectors that are not of the spade type.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/
My recent Edelux light came fitted with one and it's a lot nicer to connect than the traditional fitting.  I think it's probably the neatest way to split a cable and possibly the most expensive.  Though whatever you do it still looks like a lot wiring.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:51:52 am »
SON have recently, or it's recently come to me attention, started doing a range of connectors that are not of the spade type.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/
My recent Edelux light came fitted with one and it's a lot nicer to connect than the traditional fitting.  I think it's probably the neatest way to split a cable and possibly the most expensive.  Though whatever you do it still looks like a lot wiring.

My USB-Werk came with those screw connectors. It also came with a cable with screw connector on one end, and bare wires on the other. I shoved that into the lego block connector of the Shimano Dynamo. It's currently not mounted on the bike and the screw connector is just cable tied to the Di2 ratsnest on the handlebars. It's had several good soakings and hasn't seemed to effect the performance of the Dynamo or the hub. Wish they may an inline switch tho, there's no mechanism to turn off the usb-werk. If you're charging and want your lights on at the same time, both are slightly hindered.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:58:44 am »
This thread reminded me that I haven't used my B&M buffer battery since PBP 2015.  Visions of totally dead pricey Li-ion triggered adrenalin flow and crushing shame until I got the thing out and read NiMH on the destructions. Still developing 5.12v after 4 years on the shelf.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.