Author Topic: Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike  (Read 177 times)

Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:31:31 pm »
Thinking of replacing an old Garmin 810, with something newer.
Has been ok, but it's main purpose is following a .gpx on long audax rides or for extended touring. So I like a charging solution from SON dynamos. I use either Igaro or B&M light with USB port and charge during the day. BUT my 810 senses loss of USB power (when climbing) and turns itself off. Garmin always refused to remedy this - so instead I charge a cache battery and use that to power my Garmin.

Does anyone else use 530/830 in the same way , and do they still turn off if the external power is lost, because its really annoying?
Has someone found a better setup for Garmin plus dynamo?

Barry

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 04:27:24 pm »
Has someone found a better setup for Garmin plus dynamo?

AA-powered Garmin (eTrex or relatives) and not have to worry about it.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:26:57 pm »
Or the Garmin Charge power pack looks like a much better solution than USB cables. https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/571552
That plus the internal battery should be enough for most audaxes.

For longer tours, could put the battery pack in a bar bag while recharging it. Would help keep the USB connections away from water anyway.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 12:33:09 pm »
That Garmin Charge power pack is bloody expensive compared to "regular" USB packs. But you don't have to worry anymore about water ingress around the USB port of the 530/830 nor worry about the vibrations on the USB cable ruining that USB port and thus turning your expensive GPS into a paperweight (this killed my 820 midway the Rando Imperator >:()

Best thing: after riding 80 hours (PBP) the power pack was empty and the 830 still had 80% charge left. I've setup the 830 to switch off the backlight after 30s, am recording at 1s interval with a full set of sensors (speed, cadence, power, Di2 and HR). The only annoyance of the power pack is that when it's (nearly) empty it will flash a blue LED, without a way to turn that of (that I know of); of course, this is easily remedied by either removing the pack, or a piece of duct tape.