Author Topic: Igaro D2  (Read 644 times)

Igaro D2
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:37:01 am »
My Igaro D2 arrived this morning and I've just been taking a look – impressively compact, though those exposed power prongs are a concern... Time will tell, I guess.

This is my first USB C device and the connection doesn't seem very secure – the plug doesn't fully insert and, when connected, the plug wobbles from side to side quite a bit. The plug also pulls free with very little force. This is in marked contrast to, say, Lightning, which feels considerably more secure.

So is this just a 'feature' of USB C and/or are all D2s like this – or has this one missed the QC mark..?

Re: Igaro D2
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:51:45 am »
USB C should have a nice positive click when it’s fully in, just like lightning.

Maybe check the socket for debris?

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:58:52 am »
The socket and plug both appear to be clear. Definitely no positive click.

Update: Possible resin in the USB port, according to Igaro, so sending back for a warranty swap. Ho hum.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:30:59 pm »
The socket and plug both appear to be clear. Definitely no positive click.

Update: Possible resin in the USB port, according to Igaro, so sending back for a warranty swap. Ho hum.
thats annoying, but at least you aren’t being dismissed as an inconvenience to the manufactures.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:03:48 am »
On my second D2. The first had issues with the epoxy which leaked out into my top tube bag and heated up. Stopped charging and my headlight flickered regardless. I ended up taking it apart, mid-ride so I could see where I was going without having a seizure.

I now have the replacement which has an opaque epoxy which I assume is now the correct epoxy. Igaro have also changed the software so you can charge devices while running the light. Today will be my first ride testing it out. Seems fine on the work stand but only time will tell.

I REALLY don’t like the look of those little prongs. I’ll put a fiver on those not being up to the job.

I was disappointed that Igaro didn’t apologise about my top tube bag or offer any compensation when I paid full price and clearly the first device caused damage and wasn’t fit for purpose. Not great marketing or customer service in my opinion especially as they would be best off getting solid feedback on social media.

My confidence is really knocked back. It is an expensive purchase for someone on a low income and I really hope this second offering is up to the job.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 06:18:35 pm »
Just got back from a 100+km ride to try out the D2.

I think I either misunderstood the email from Igaro or it’s too ambiguous for the likes of me. I understood from it (or misconstrued) that the device, with its new software, will charge even with the headlights on. This is NOT the case. It doesn’t charge when running lights. Or at least mine doesn’t. At least it charges when they are off.

I will need to do a ride in true darkness to see if the headlight (Son Edelux II on a Son hub) runs at full brightness when the Igaro D2 is attached.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:22:51 pm »
Thanks for the picture JulesP, that's definitely resin in the USB port and we should have caught it before it made it out. We check all of them now but clearly missed one.

HeltorChasca, the SON Edelux 2 is a high power light and leaves nothing for USB charging. It leaves so little the D2 can't even initialise. If you blip the light on/off the D2 will initalise but even then there simply isn't the wattage from the dynamo to do both with this light. Please email us regarding your epoxy damage as we've been overloaded with the swap-out task and have missed it - we also pay warranty return postage (no messing about from Igaro on warranty or customer service).

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 08:10:05 am »
Update:

AFAIUI Second D2 has been recalled and I’m awaiting the next offering.

3rd time lucky I hope.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »
There isn't a current recall.

To clarify the email that was sent, we had a D2 Pro unit (which has three tuning networks) fail when used with a particular light (Supernova E3 Triple). We've not been able to replicate the issue and haven't had any further failures so it may have just been within acceptable tolerance for electrical failures. It was replaced and hasn't failed again. Another user has the same set-up and we're awaiting to here back but it is the slow season for touring which doesn't help. We've pro-actively redesigned the third tuning circuit so if it is proving an issue we can expedite manufacturing and replacements, however unless another failure occurs it'll be shelved. D2 Lite and Standard models don't have the third tuning circuit so can't have the potential problem.