Author Topic: Learning the states of the USA just for fun  (Read 2329 times)

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
Learning the states of the USA just for fun
« on: November 01, 2019, 08:40:36 pm »
A few weeks ago one of my brothers asked me whether I could name at least 4 USA states. I did.

When I got home I found this online quiz: Can you name the US states? When the time is up or you (click) give up you get to see the ones you could not remember. It helped me learn the names of all 50 states and where each one is located.

Then I moved onto this quiz: Can you find the United States on a map?

Now I do this one every morning: Can you find the US states without any outlines?

The first time I did the top quiz I could name 39 states but only knew where 6 were, so the 2nd quiz was a dismal failure first time.

If you have a go, do tell how you got on.

I would now like to learn a few interesting facts about each state.

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Learning the states of the USA just for fun
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:03 pm »
My mum used to be able to recite them all in order.  As a child I considered this to be an even more tragic waste of neurons than learning multiplication tables, and I haven't really changed my mind...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:03:29 pm »
Wasn't this a Friends episode?

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:05:19 pm »
My state-ninja skills netted me 100% even without outlines. That's 99% more than Donald can do (and I know where Puerto Rico is). I can also (probably) name most state capitals. I've never been to Nebraska though. I think I might have driven through Indiana once, but I was lost. Chapter 29 of my Utterly Mundane Memoir will focus exclusively on West Virginia.
!nataS pihsroW

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
You are Olivia Newton-John (cos John Denver) and ICMFP.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 10:59:06 pm »

Oh what did del-a-ware boy, what did delaware
what did del-a-ware boy, what did delaware
she wore a brand new jersey,
that's what she did wear
One, two, three, four
oh, why did cali-fon-ia
why did cali-fon
why did cali-fon-ia
was she all alone
she called to say ha-wa-ya
that's why she did call
Uno, deis, tre, quatro
oh what did missi sip boy
what did missi sip
what did missi sip
through her pretty lips
she sipped a minne sota
she sipped a minne sota
she sipped a minne sota
that's what she did sip
where has oregon boy
where has oregon
if you wan al-ask-a
go ahead and ask her
she went to pay her texas
that's where she has gone
Well how did wis-con-sin boy
she stole a new-brass-key
too bad that arkan saw boy
and so did tenne-see
it made poor flori-di boy
it made poor flori-di, you see
she died in miss-our-i boy
she died in miss-our-i
oh what did del-a-ware boy, what did delaware
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 11:05:10 pm »
Basil, some of those are repeats...
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:29:24 pm »
Not my song.  Something I remember from my boyhood.  Seems it was Perry Como.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 11:49:22 pm »
As a child I considered this to be an even more tragic waste of neurons than learning multiplication tables, and I haven't really changed my mind...

I'm cool with that.

Wasn't this a Friends episode?

What a great memory you have! 4'20" YouTube video:
Friends - All the states in six minutes or Chandler's dumb states game

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 06:16:06 am »
after you get the states and state capitols down, then you can move on to counties, as this person did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_exvcplrFU

The first time I heard this on the air, he explained it as "I went to school here and we learned such things then"

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 08:27:51 am »
Humph.  I'm still trying to learn all the départements of France, and I've only been here since 1972. French schoolkids get them drummed in.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 10:12:55 am »
Next you've got to learn all the elements of the periodic table.  Have fun!

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:16:37 am »
Used to know a bloke who could 'pronounce' them - h'hellibobc'noffne & so forth.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:20:18 am »
It's fairly easy doing this quizzes, at least with a bit of practice (though forced order makes it harder – and minefield would be dismaying) but quite another just listing all 50 off your head, no prep.

Waste of neurons? Of course, but depends what else you want to do with them.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 11:10:10 am »
Waste of neurons? Of course, but depends what else you want to do with them.

Quite. I don't fancy learning county or city names but rather get a better general overview of the country where many friends live or other interesting things that crop up. For example, when American friends speak of home, now I can see (in my mind) where they are talking about.

No offence to Karla, but I will play my wasted neutrons card (thanks Kim and Cudzo) regarding the periodic table. I failed chemistry at school and have never managed to muster enough interest. However, I used to play squash with a chemist who said that at school she was totally fascinated by the table. She has made it her life's work and loves her work.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 11:43:48 am »
At least a list of states is definitive and simple enough not to contain mistakes, unlike a lot of Sporcle quizzes. The most entertaining one I found (to me) was one where you had to say if landmarks were in the USA or Canada. One of the photos showed a tower just like Cabot Tower in Bristol. Obviously it must be in Nova Scotia (or is it Newfoundland?) at the other end of his journey, but how curious that not only is the tower identical but they've landscaped the hill to look the same. Google shows Cabot Tower in St John's, Newfoundland, is a squat stone building, unlike the elegant brick structure ( :P) here. What's more, someone had even pointed this out in the comments a year ago, but the wrong photo is still there.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:43 pm »

Risk of that being useful, thobut.

In my defence, I once absolutely aced a pub quiz by being able to label most of the countries in Africa.  That was around the same time as the infamous University Challenge incident, so perhaps there were karmic forces at work.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 01:15:45 pm »
My state-ninja skills netted me 100% even without outlines. That's 99% more than Donald can do (and I know where Puerto Rico is). I can also (probably) name most state capitals. I've never been to Nebraska though. I think I might have driven through Indiana once, but I was lost. Chapter 29 of my Utterly Mundane Memoir will focus exclusively on West Virginia.

You haven't missed much in Nebraska unless you like Very Large Locomotives.  Or this:

Archway Monument, Kearney by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Edit: Got 49/50 without looking at the map coz it was hidden under the iPad's keyboard, then peeked to see I'd missed Michigan on the west-to-east mental pass.  One day I'll visit Hawaii and complete the bingo card :smug:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:12 pm »
At least a list of states is definitive and simple enough not to contain mistakes, unlike a lot of Sporcle quizzes. The most entertaining one I found (to me) was one where you had to say if landmarks were in the USA or Canada. One of the photos showed a tower just like Cabot Tower in Bristol. Obviously it must be in Nova Scotia (or is it Newfoundland?) at the other end of his journey, but how curious that not only is the tower identical but they've landscaped the hill to look the same. Google shows Cabot Tower in St John's, Newfoundland, is a squat stone building, unlike the elegant brick structure ( :P) here. What's more, someone had even pointed this out in the comments a year ago, but the wrong photo is still there.

Urgh, Sporcle has so much misinformation!  It's like doing one of those pub quizzes where the QM can't pronounce the question and you know they didn't even research it on Wikipedia, they just downloaded a readymade question list. 

spesh

• It's starting to look a lot like Cthulhumas!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 02:10:15 pm »

Risk of that being useful, thobut.

At this point it is obligatory to channel the Harvard Bard: "This may prove useful to somebody some day perhaps, in a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 03:49:05 pm »
48 out of 50; ran out of time. Missed Loiusi and Nebra.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 03:53:57 pm »
46 out of 50.  I didn't do myself any favours by not realising until some way in that I didn't actually have to identify which was which. I was busy clicking on the outlines and then back into the text box to type in the names, and wondering why it was so slow.  ::-)   I didn't notice Hawaii next to Alaska (who would?) and confess that I wasn't aware that there was a West Virginia.  There other two - Missouri and Arkansas - were just down to poor memory.

Somewhere on line there is something similar with the counties of England which, oddly, I recall finding much harder.
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 04:02:20 pm »
I can't do counties of England, for sure, but they're not very interesting. I can do the periodic table. I know the US states because I was always fascinated by America as a child, same for all the countries of Africa. I do a thing where I learn something new every day, usually by randomly skipping around Wikipedia or similar while my wife does whatever it is she does in the bathroom before bed. This level of pointless knowledge, of course, makes me much in demand on the party scene.
!nataS pihsroW

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »
The counties of England (and the rest of the U.K. ) are useful to know because a bike ride will often traverse boundaries. Boundaries often follow rivers and rivers, being in valleys, give a pretty good clue as to where the hills are.

This seems to be irrelevant to the US. It is almost as though some invading marauders came in and carved it up with no reference whatsoever to the indigenous people.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 09:49:12 am »