Author Topic: B&M IQX  (Read 3767 times)

fd3

B&M IQX
« on: November 15, 2019, 11:54:45 pm »
Bought from Rose, I am about to contact them for a return of the second model they sent me.  The first one stopped working after 3 weeks, the second thinks that it should run on daylight mode on unlit cyclepaths in the dead of night (I can resolve this problem by cycling for a few minutes with the light turned off ... ).

The beam pattern is better than the U (IMO) and it is very bright.  Unlike the U it is not fully automatic, you need to turn it on (though my current model will turn itself on automatically ... sometimes), but you can't set it to day/night mode - so it is very much the worst of both worlds.  For 20lux I think the Cyo Premium must be inordinately a better choice (that is if B&M haven't forgotten how to make lights in the last 5 years).

Having had two lights of the same model fail when cycling in the dark (once 30 mins from home having to mix it with traffic) I wouldn't trust this light further than I can fart it (as I reckon I could spit it too far).

Oh, it comes with an optional under-mounted reflector, which is nice, also a bracket which works better on my recumbent.  Shame about the actual light.
[/I could be wrong]

Re: B&M IQX
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »
I'm having an issue with a return.
I bought a B+M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso plus front headlamp from Rose Bikes in November 2015.
This failed and was replaced in August 2016
This than failed in Jaunuary 2017 was was replaced with a B+M IQ-X LED
The IQ-X has now also failed

The response from Rose today was;
"Because the article has already been changed 3 times and the original order was too long ago. There is no longer any warranty claim."

As far as I can recall, these lights have a 5 year guarentee, but the link i was provided with for the returns T&Cs no longer works.

Anyone got any advice on this?
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:53:23 pm »
Try the wayback machine (https://web.archive.org) and see if you can find an archived page showing the 5 year bit?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 10:29:17 pm »
The 5 year guarantee image on the rose website says it's a manufacturers guarantee, so it's not from the retailer who will be bound to whatever the German sale of goods rules provides for.
Could try their service contact: https://www.bumm.de/en/service.html

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 04:15:41 pm »
No response from Rose Bikes for 48hrs, so I contacted B+M directly.

I stated my issue, and that there was an image on Rose Bikes web page stating 5 years Manufacturers guarantee.

The response I got was "we do not have manufactures guarantee, this is wrong."

So it looks like i've been shafted.

The problem with online shops is, you can't call round and shout at folk :(

Neither B&M nor Rose Bikes will be getting my business again.

Poor quality of product from B&M, poor service from Rose Bike
@CorbieLinnRider

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:39 pm »
Err, isn't this false advertising by Rose?  When you contacted B+M, did you also include a hyperlink to the Rose Bikes web page containing the image?  The manufacturer should surely be concerned that their product is being advertised in a way which implies they have a warranty responsibility.  Maybe now contact Rose and bring the lack of manufacturer's guarantee to their attention?  It might be worth doing this.  Also, hold your nose and butter the feckers up about how you expect better quality and service from German manufacturers and suppliers.

However, the problem with online shops' websites is they aren't generally under source control which can be scrutinised by the public.  This means that the offending web page could be changed quite easily.  So you may well still be screwed; it all depends on how slippery they are.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:49 pm »
Write to Trading Standards.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 06:50:11 pm »
Rose Bikes have physical stores in Germany if you fancy a road trip. They also sometimes attend UK bike shows.

I’d write back to BUMM asking them to take to Rose about the guarantee logo on their site. Although that won’t help you get your light fixed.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 07:37:04 pm »
Err, isn't this false advertising by Rose?  When you contacted B+M, did you also include a hyperlink to the Rose Bikes web page containing the image?  The manufacturer should surely be concerned that their product is being advertised in a way which implies they have a warranty responsibility.  Maybe now contact Rose and bring the lack of manufacturer's guarantee to their attention?  It might be worth doing this.  Also, hold your nose and butter the feckers up about how you expect better quality and service from German manufacturers and suppliers.

However, the problem with online shops' websites is they aren't generally under source control which can be scrutinised by the public.  This means that the offending web page could be changed quite easily.  So you may well still be screwed; it all depends on how slippery they are.

A screenshot of the website with ideally the date and time should be evidence enough though it would need to be from the time of purchase.
They usually try and get out of it with E&OE clauses
Looking at the terms and conditions they currently say 2 years from sale, 1 year if second hand, anything over and above that if advertised is a manufacturers guarantee.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 12:45:20 pm »
B+M have been most helpful, but have said my guarantee is with Rose Bikes, not them.

They have contacted each other to try and resolve this, so all is not lost... yet
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:38 pm »
Two weeks have passed since my initial email, and i'm no further forward.

I've told both Rose and B&M to stick it

@CorbieLinnRider

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:35 pm »
I've been in a similar position.
I've also purchased expensive / overpriced / unreliable (IMHO) B&M Lights from ROSE.
I've had no problems sorting replacement lights or warranty related issues, but sadly the replacement lights have themselves failed me within 12 months. 
I didn't consider contacting ROSE again, but I have vowed never to purchase B&M lights ever again.

I know plenty of riders who enjoy good reliability with B&M stuff, that's why I spent my hard earned money on em' myself , but B&M quality really is an issue for me recently.
I consider myself lucky that lights failed when close to home & not on a overnighter.

My advice is keep mythering ROSE as they've always been OK with me.
Just steer clear of overpriced German lights in future  -  perhaps.
T.H
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 08:52:54 pm »
T.H
Edelux has a pretty sound reputation.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 12:26:12 am »
B&M quality really is an issue for me recently
I blame the "T" daylight running lights, myself.

B+M lights used to be reliable when they were just regular lights with a standlight (up to the earlier Cyo Premium), but all the lights with daylight running lights (Luxos U onwards) have had a fairly high failure rate, going by forum report (not just here). A step too far in added complications?

I use Edelux lights, since they came out in 2008 or whenever.
The only "problem" I've had was a small amount of condensation inside the lens after a particularly wet ride using the first. Leaving the light switched on for a week cleared it, and it hadn't reoccurred before I sold it when upgrading to an Edelux II 3 or 4 years later.
Possibly significantly, Edeluxes don't have a daylight mode (though the senso does consider a large part of the winter as being dim enough to require the main light to be on).

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:04 pm »
I don't recall hearing about the Cyo T having problems, and the only issue I've had with my Cyo T Premium is that I crashed it into the back of a Range Rover and snapped the switch ring.

The Luxos's issue was waterproofing.

I'd suggest that correlation is not equal to causation, and the rise of daylight running lights coincides with some unrelated dubious engineering decisions and quality control problems.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 01:56:04 pm »
T.H

Mine misted up, the problem was I never kept the invoice and never got the e-mail from SJS it's not even in my account.
However... look at the reflector and see whose name is on it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 05:12:04 pm »
B&M quality really is an issue for me recently
I blame the "T" daylight running lights, myself.

B+M lights used to be reliable when they were just regular lights with a standlight (up to the earlier Cyo Premium), but all the lights with daylight running lights (Luxos U onwards) have had a fairly high failure rate, going by forum report (not just here). A step too far in added complications?
The IQ-X does have a daylight mode but it's not separately selectable. There is no T mode you can select. You turn the light on or off manually and when it's on, it decides for itself whether to use daylight or nighttime mode; if it's at all dark, it selects night mode. While I'd agree that this is basically pointless (if you want to use daylight lamps, just turn them on) it doesn't seem to be connected to the most common problem, which is dodgy capacitors.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 01:13:28 am »
I'd suggest that correlation is not equal to causation, and the rise of daylight running lights coincides with some unrelated dubious engineering decisions and quality control problems.
Very likely.
I wasn't entirely serious; I just don't like daylight running lights.
Apart from anything else, they suck enough power to put a fair dent in your device charging rates if you forget to turn the light off properly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 09:04:45 am »
I think there's at least one (hopefully only one, but I can't remember which) model where you can't turn the DRL off. You either have "Headlight on", "DRL on" or "Switching automatically between headlight and DRL". The only way to turn it off is to disconnect from the dynamo. I hope I've misremembered that cos it seems silly.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 11:27:07 am »
Apart from anything else, they suck enough power to put a fair dent in your device charging rates if you forget to turn the light off properly.

The Cyo T draws more power in daylight mode than night mode.

(Haven't tried this with an IQ-X, they aren't rated for DC.)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 11:41:18 am »
I think there's at least one (hopefully only one, but I can't remember which) model where you can't turn the DRL off. You either have "Headlight on", "DRL on" or "Switching automatically between headlight and DRL". The only way to turn it off is to disconnect from the dynamo. I hope I've misremembered that cos it seems silly.

The Axa Pico 30 "Auto" has a switch with two positions, for "on" and "on". In theory one of them is a sensor mode, but it only controls one of the two sets of LEDs, and fucked if I can tell the difference.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 11:50:45 am »
T.H

Mine misted up, the problem was I never kept the invoice and never got the e-mail from SJS it's not even in my account.
However... look at the reflector and see whose name is on it.
I didn't need to look at the reflector, it's clear in everything I read that it's from B&M (Patented?) Are you implying it's therefore a B&M light?
There's also a difference between sound reputation and infallible, the five year warranty covers that, you only need some form of proof of purchase.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 02:49:43 pm »
T.H

I like my Edelux II. Works very well.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 02:57:50 pm »
The Edelux has a reputation for actually working, no warranty required. You don’t hear of them constantly being sent back like you do some B&M products.