Author Topic: B&M IQX  (Read 3102 times)

Re: B&M IQX
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
My original Edelux died, after 4.5 years, due to water ingress.  It was repaired or replaced with a refurb unit under warranty. The replacement unit has been fine and is now five years old.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 04:50:16 pm »
The Edelux, like the Cyo, seems to be free of obvious design flaws.  It takes the keep-the-water-out approach to waterproofing, where the Cyo lets the water out.  They're both valid approaches which seem to work most of the time, though you do hear of occasional failures.

The waterproofing issue of the Luxos U got worked around in later production runs, didn't it?  IIRC they removed a connector in favour of a captive lead.  The other problem with that one is that it's inherently life-limited by the presence of a battery.  (Never mind DRLs, I reckon it's batteries that denote B&M products that are best avoided: The Ixon was a nightmare, and my B&M battery rears have needed irregular dosing with switch lube.)

Disappointing that they don't seem to have sorted out whatever's wrong with the IQ-X.  It's an excellent light when it works.  There doesn't seem to be any sign of a new high-end model in the pipeline.

I reckon at this point, the best choices are the Cyo Premium and the Edelux 2.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 05:03:18 pm »
The waterproofing issue of the Luxos U got worked around in later production runs, didn't it?  IIRC they removed a connector in favour of a captive lead.

Removing the connector did nothing to make the circuit board less likely to water damage, or the flimsy spade connectors less likely to snap off.

The switch to the captive lead adds the extra joy that if the cable is damaged or water gets into the remote control dongle, the light starts malfunctioning and there's nothing you can do that doesn't involve landfill.

There's a third revision that adds a second captive cable dangling off the remote control for the USB port that is even flimsier than first one.

In many ways the first revision is the one to have.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 06:58:21 pm »

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 02:27:39 pm »
Rose have finally agreed to take the light back 'to have a look at it'

I'm not expecting a replacement at this late stage. 

That combined with the fact I've just bought a new bike with disc brakes so my dynamo is no longer compatible means i'm looking for a new light anyway, probably battery powered, and definitely not B&M
@CorbieLinnRider

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 01:25:19 am »
I reckon at this point, the best choices are the Cyo Premium and the Edelux 2.

I have bought a Supernova Mini 2. It runs off anything from USB to 21v DC. It's the same basic internals as their pure 3.

I got it when I was having a crisis of confidence over using the edelux II on the TCR this year. I've yet to use it properly in anger, I'm thinking of fitting it to the brompton, if I can work out a suitable place to stick a battery pack.

Supernova a certainly marketing themselves to compete with the Edelux II et al at the top end, I need to test a bit more to be sure tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

fd3

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2019, 11:44:19 pm »
Just need to heat shrink my connections on the CYO Premium (hiding my shoddy soldering) and I should be good to go with my IQX replacement.
Didn't feel the need to spend twice the money for the Edelux II, maybe in 3-5 year's time.
ROSE have been very good about the fact that I have returned two lights now, which does make you wonder how often it happens.
[/I could be wrong]

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2019, 08:34:44 pm »
I have the Cyo premium on my new recumbent build. No complaints so far but make sure you set the alignment for approx 10 metres ahead of you.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:04 pm »
The Edelux uses an internal li-ion so if you're a frequent rider in the dark 5 years is pushing the life-span. Supernova use small super-capacitors so should last a life-time but the capacitor size they use limits how much light is available during the 4 minute standby period.

Large super-capacitors increase performance but also unit size and electronic complexity. None of the current breed of dynamo lights are actually that good, for the money they command they should have maximum power point tracking and variable reactance tuning but neither are applicable for battery powered lights which these manufacturers are basing their designs on.

Apparently there'll be a new kid on the block sometime in 2020 which will give the dynamo light market a proper shake-up.  ;)

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2019, 09:47:28 am »
Rose have finally agreed to take the light back 'to have a look at it'

I'm not expecting a replacement at this late stage. 

I returned an edelux tail light and a B&M Luxos U, separately, both over four and a half years old. Rose said the edelux had gone to SON for repair, but what I got back looked very much like it was brand new. For the Luxos I didn't bother contacting them first, just used the return label from the site. They refunded fairly quickly, no quibble, no offer of repair or replacement. I guess the difference is that SON clearly offer a five year guarantee, B&M don't, it's a Rose guarantee.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2019, 10:40:58 am »
I’m interested in finding out how this ‘new entrant’ will find a niche in a fairly crowded market. I guess it’ll be something high-end because the low- and middle-market is pretty crowded. It’ll need to be something good to tempt me to spend more than Cyo-worth.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 10:56:04 am »
Apparently there'll be a new kid on the block sometime in 2020 which will give the dynamo light market a proper shake-up.  ;)
Where's the evidence of this?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2019, 11:23:24 am »
i'm not convinced it's possible (or, commercially viable?) to make an excellent dynamo light, otherwise it would have been made. there are several "good enough" lights to choose from, that's as good as it gets.

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 03:04:00 pm »
I have just had my Edelux II returned after it developed a fault in the cable (according to SJS).
I asked for the cable to be reduced from 140 cm to 100. It was was out of warranty and only
cost £16 for the repair. :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2019, 06:54:46 pm »
i'm not convinced it's possible (or, commercially viable?) to make an excellent dynamo light, otherwise it would have been made. there are several "good enough" lights to choose from, that's as good as it gets.

Given we seem to have just had a new product announcement from Igaro; we'll find out at somepoint, hopefully not as far past planned launch date as the D2 was but...

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2019, 12:32:25 pm »

Everything is possible, it's just difficult and time-consuming. For an example, when using large super-capacitors (for life-span and efficiency over li-ion charge/discharging) they appear as a very low resistance for a greater amount of time, which in turn results in the light being off or low for a few minutes, which in turn is not safe (and doesn't meet the STVZO regulations). A resistor is one way but generates heat and isn't efficient at all. We made a solution a few month back, circa 92% efficiency - the picture in the link below shows a small super-capacitor charging up while near instantly making enough power available for devices (nominally lights, but USB at a user determined level). How power is initially shared between charge and devices will be user configurable over bluetooth.

https://www.facebook.com/igarouk/photos/a.267098526988194/987770191587687/?type=3&theater

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2019, 01:19:35 pm »
clever and reliable circuitry is only one piece of a puzzle. other very important features are water-/shock-proof assembly, robust and universal mounting bracket(s), wide and homogeneous beam with soft cut-off, side visibility, no flicker, can be turned on while the bike is stationary, decent standlight (say, 5min+), non-bulky and elegant design etc.

features like bluetooth compatibility, usb charging are nice-to-have extras; first and foremost a light needs to function flawlessly as a light.

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2019, 02:19:00 pm »
The Edelux uses an internal li-ion so if you're a frequent rider in the dark 5 years is pushing the life-span.
Looks like a super capacitor to me

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2019, 02:30:04 pm »
Everything is possible, it's just difficult and time-consuming. For an example, when using large super-capacitors (for life-span and efficiency over li-ion charge/discharging) they appear as a very low resistance for a greater amount of time, which in turn results in the light being off or low for a few minutes, which in turn is not safe (and doesn't meet the STVZO regulations). A resistor is one way but generates heat and isn't efficient at all. We made a solution a few month back, circa 92% efficiency

I think you may be overestimating the number of cyclists worried about the efficiency of initially charging their standlight capacitors, if I'm being honest.

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2019, 02:36:13 pm »
The Edelux uses an internal li-ion so if you're a frequent rider in the dark 5 years is pushing the life-span.
Looks like a super capacitor to me

1 Farad, haven't seen that unit since my A level physics.

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »
The one we have is an Edelux 2, it has some power after two weeks of no use which is unlikely with a super capacitor due to the high leakage. We haven't opened it up admittedly.

You can see 4x diodes (~ -12% efficiency drop), no reactance tuning (~ -25% less power) before the rest of the circuitry. Add in a lack of MPPT and it's a basic design at about 50% of the power we're aiming at. The one we're making will have 100F although this is primarily so users can do away with a USB cache battery for uninterrupted power at traffic-lights/junctions/roundabouts.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2019, 04:18:15 pm »
clever and reliable circuitry is only one piece of a puzzle. other very important features are water-/shock-proof assembly, robust and universal mounting bracket(s), wide and homogeneous beam with soft cut-off, side visibility, no flicker, can be turned on while the bike is stationary, decent standlight (say, 5min+), non-bulky and elegant design etc.

features like bluetooth compatibility, usb charging are nice-to-have extras; first and foremost a light needs to function flawlessly as a light.
The IQ-X fails on that, unfortunately.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2019, 05:43:03 am »

Do you mean this https://www.pedalcell.com/cadencex , would be great if power output and efficiency were achievable but its a big claim?

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2019, 09:57:23 am »
Not that - the clue is in the username.

That product page has plenty of technobabble, dubious claims and a couple of outright lies. And they can't spell "led".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2019, 07:28:33 pm »
That product page has plenty of technobabble, dubious claims and a couple of outright lies. And they can't spell "led".

They lost me at "extremally volatile and unsafe electrical current".

Anyhow, rim driven generators are a non-starter (literally, in the wet) in my experience.