Author Topic: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?  (Read 2057 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2019, 10:54:52 am »
So, I click and collected a pair of Shimano MW5 shoes on Tuesday, for £126, and have worn them on commutes for 3 days. They seem good. My feet are definitely substantially warmer than when I was wearing regular MTB shoes with overs. They are comfortable to ride and walk in. I will write up a review in the fullness of time after doing a couple of audaxes and so on.

Though frustratingly I just got an email... 

We are pleased to inform you that 45NRTH Ragnarok Winter Cycling Shoe - size : 45, is now back in stock and available for you to purchase. To view the product please click on the following link https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/45nrth-ragnarok-winter-cycling-shoe-14185-p.asp. If you have any questions, send an email to info@bikemonger.co.uk or simply reply to this message.

So if anyone fancies trying a pair out now might be the time!

Ah - I was going to call in to Ripon on my way past next Saturday but I see they are closed Sat/Sun :(
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:08 am »
Ah - I was going to call in to Ripon on my way past next Saturday but I see they are closed Sat/Sun :(

I went down the Shimano XM9 route, as they appeared to meet my walking and general warmness criteria the best. Assuming you are out tomorrow, you'll see my first ride with them ... it'll be a good test on how warm they are, for sure, with the temps forecast.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2019, 05:14:16 pm »
Back in 2003 when I moved to clip less.  I ummd and ahhhhd over the cost  of a pair of winter boots. But they've repaid the cost multiple times on winter commutes. They also allowed me to go out on the muddiest of mountain bike rides, but still have a clean pair (my summer ones) for the road. I don't mountain bike now (road bike on Bridleways / towpaths don't count) but still have a pair of winter boots. At the moment Shimano something or other (my second pair in 16 years), my first ones were Gaerne which I think were better but reached end of life a few years back. . They are a size larger than my summer ones so I can wear hiking socks under them on really cold days.

The other thing about winter boots is you can just hose them down to clean after a muddy ride. I usually do this whilst still wearing them. I wouldn't dare do that with my summer cycling shoes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »
So, I click and collected a pair of Shimano MW5 shoes on Tuesday, for £126, and have worn them on commutes for 3 days. They seem good. My feet are definitely substantially warmer than when I was wearing regular MTB shoes with overs. They are comfortable to ride and walk in. I will write up a review in the fullness of time after doing a couple of audaxes and so on.

Though frustratingly I just got an email... 

We are pleased to inform you that 45NRTH Ragnarok Winter Cycling Shoe - size : 45, is now back in stock and available for you to purchase. To view the product please click on the following link https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/45nrth-ragnarok-winter-cycling-shoe-14185-p.asp. If you have any questions, send an email to info@bikemonger.co.uk or simply reply to this message.

So if anyone fancies trying a pair out now might be the time!

Off topic, but is that the same Bikemonger as Charlie the Bikemonger who used to be down in Dorset?
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2019, 05:25:40 pm »
Off topic, but is that the same Bikemonger as Charlie the Bikemonger who used to be down in Dorset?
Charlie sold the shop, and new owners moved it to Ripon.
Seems Charlie is now in Hebden Bridge, working for Singletrack, and still selling Bum Butter.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2019, 06:29:53 pm »
Charlie sold the shop, and new owners moved it to Ripon.
Seems Charlie is now in Hebden Bridge, working for Singletrack, and still selling Bum Butter.

Ah that makes sense - I was wondering as well!  :thumbsup:

I might make a detour in there on a Monday if I can make it work :) (though looks like my size might be OOS anyhow :( )
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2019, 08:25:57 pm »
Thanks. Poor old Wareham (was it Wareham? somewhere thereabouts) left all mongerless!
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2019, 11:40:44 pm »
Just bought a pair of shimano MW701's.  The most expensive footwear I've ever bought, but am sick of trying to dry out my old trainers. Review in due course.