Author Topic: RATN 2020  (Read 2268 times)

Re: RATN 2020
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:32 pm »
The place I ate in Lauwersoog is not longer showing as a business on Google maps. I don't know if that's google being pants, or if they have since shut.

One of the restaurants in Lauwersoog burned down last summer. Maybe that explains it?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »
One of the restaurants in Lauwersoog burned down last summer. Maybe that explains it?

Is it the one by the harbour next to the traffic lights to the main road?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:20 pm »
On the livestock excrement issue: Is it possible to develop a resistancy against this? I live "up North" (in the Netherlands) and the roads here are typically covered in cow and sheep deposits. Riders around here don't have issues with contaminations, even when cycling on rainy days without mudguards.

Yes. There's nothing particularly untowards about animal excrement per-se, it's the bacteria in it, which, being ruminants, there's a lot of. If your gut biome reflects theirs, you wont be overwhelmed. You'll be vaccinated by low dose from childhood onwards.

So you could still have issues when you ride outside of familiar territory, where the bacteria are different. Was it mostly foreign participants who suffered at PBP '07 and RAtN '19?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2020, 08:09:36 pm »

So you could still have issues when you ride outside of familiar territory, where the bacteria are different. Was it mostly foreign participants who suffered at PBP '07 and RAtN '19?

Most notable victim on RatN is a Brit.

J
--

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2020, 08:12:10 pm »

Is it the one by the harbour next to the traffic lights to the main road?

J

If by traffic lights you mean the lights warning you that the bridge is open, then yes.

(That's enough posting from me in this topic for today...)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2020, 08:18:52 pm »
--

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2020, 10:48:36 pm »
I have no cycling qualifications for commenting on this thread, other than to say fboab is much more tolerant of drinking from a bespattered bidon than me.

My view is - having mudguards would have ZERO bearing on whether I finish (a) at all, or (b) in time, from an aerodynamic POV, but might just save me from gastric distress that would prevent (b) and quite possibly (a) from a bacterial POV.

Sure - horses, cows and sheep are all vegetarians, but if the road is covered in their shit - it's still shit, and I don't want it on my water bottles thank you very much.

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 06:28:55 am »

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:50 am »
On the livestock excrement issue: Is it possible to develop a resistancy against this? I live "up North" (in the Netherlands) and the roads here are typically covered in cow and sheep deposits. Riders around here don't have issues with contaminations, even when cycling on rainy days without mudguards.

Yes. There's nothing particularly untowards about animal excrement per-se, it's the bacteria in it, which, being ruminants, there's a lot of. If your gut biome reflects theirs, you wont be overwhelmed. You'll be vaccinated by low dose from childhood onwards.

Amazing what you learn on here.   This is something I haven't really thought about before, but gives me something else to ruminate on when unable to sleep in the run up to the event.