Author Topic: Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tyres  (Read 974 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tyres
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:49:46 pm »
HK has been using Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 700x38C (40-622) tyres on Hunt Superdura dynamo disc wheels on her Kinesis Tripster AT commuter bike since September 2018. The tyres are mounted tubeless and had covered over 10,000 miles in just over 12 months before the rear was replaced due to a large cut. It didn't seem worth the effort to try to plug the hole to eke out another 1000 miles or so. The front tyre is still in use, looking about half worn with no discernible flats so far. The Stans sealant gets replaced every 3-4 months and had stopped perhaps half a dozen rear flats previously. She rides this bike frequently enough that there is no opportunity for the sealant to collect into a permanent lump.

These tyres are phenomenally good. Virtually no flats, huge mileage, good traction on crappy surfaces and wonderfully fast rolling (basically matches the lightweight tyres on her Roberts road bike). They are heavy but otherwise great. HK doesn't want to use anything else on that bike (would like to use these tyres on other bikes too, if they fitted) and I understand why.

I purchased a replacement set of 40-622 Almotions from Germany (limited availability of that size in the UK currently) and the new rear tyre set up OK with little sealant leakage but I have to top up the pressure much more frequently than previously. I then noticed the new tyres don't say TLE on the sidewall, unlike the previous set. Originally Schwalbe made tubeless and standard versions but discontinued the standard Almotions very quickly. Only tubeless Almotions were available, for all sizes. It seems for 2020 that only a few Almotion sizes are tubeless = the only 700C tubeless versions are 50mm and 55mm wide.

I'm not particularly interested in running HK's Kinesis with tubes. Where can I find tubeless 40-622 Almotions and why the hell have Schwalbe ditched tubeless for the 1.5" wide 700C Almotion?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 03:45:53 pm »
Unless you want bigger (50c+) looks like they are only available in v-guard rather than TLE :(
Regards,

Joergen

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 04:07:57 pm »
That wasn't the case last year, every option was tubeless.

The Tripster supposedly maxes out at 700x45C clearance and I don't want to spend a lot of dosh on 50mm tyres that don't fit any bike in our fleet. It seems that none of the 559 or 584 Almotions are tubeless in 2020 either.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:10:15 pm »
Marathon supreme is available in 37 and 42 widths in tubeless if that is suitable for the surfaces she rides on. A road tyre in terms of grip.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 11:13:12 pm »
Yes, they are the fallback option but HK has enjoyed occasional roughstuff and green lanes on the Almotions with little penalty on the road.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 02:40:18 pm »
I am looking at these for ,y new CrossCheck pootling bike but the price is eye watering!  They would be just the job though for mainlynlanes and a bit of sustransy.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:07:56 pm »
I've got a pair of Panaracer Gravel Kings 700c × 38 on my Tripster, running tubeless.

They're good for mixed riding and there's barely any wear after 2000km, I'm probably 40 or 50kgs heavier than HK.

And they have blue tread, they match a Tripster nicely.

They might suit.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:01:06 pm »
Interesting, if the rolling resistance is low enough. The Almotions went past 10,000 miles and the rear would be good for a couple of thousand more except for the cut.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 08:52:13 am »
Schwalbe didn't explain why they swapped to non-tubeless for most Almotion sizes but they did suggest the 40-622 G-One Allround as an Almotion substitute. I suspect it has the same casing as the tubeless 40-622 Almotion with a different tread. I doubt it’ll cope with as much mileage as an Almotion but otherwise looks to be suitable.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel-reader/schwalbe-g-one-allround

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 10:35:43 am »
Those are what one of my mates runs on her gravel bike. They are good tyres but they're definitely more squarely triangulated between performance and weight than the traditional 'marathon' spec of long life and fairy proofing. They're about 60% the weight of an almotion.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:57 pm »
Yeah, I've used both and they're not the same class of tyre.  The Almotion is a hard-wearing touring tyre whereas the G One goes for grip and speed but sacrifices life.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 04:15:52 pm »
I'm using the G-Speed and they don't wear well

What a total pita!

Hopefully you can find some NoS somewhere
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on