Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 88689 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #550 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:24:11 pm »
I'm having trouble understading the live tracker.

Frank is shown as 136th having covered 769km

quixoticgeek is shown as 62nd with 294km

Is it just gremlins in the works?  I quioxoticgeek is OK.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #551 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:32:59 pm »

Different classifications, men and women?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #552 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:39:58 pm »
I think it's just their cap number, no relation to speed / distance or position.

« Reply #553 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:42:08 pm »
Up until the first Checkpoint they are in cap number order.

You can click on the distance tab to reorder them in terms of distance ridden for a rough gauge of positions at present. Although as its free routing you can be further ahead with less distance and vice versa.

« Reply #554 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:44:38 pm »

Nope.  Definitely not.

The positions are impossible to calculate until people reach CP1 as it is not a fixed course.  The quoted positions for the people who are yet to reach a CP are merely in order of cap number (ignoring any DNS and DNF).

At the moment seven people have reached CP1 and they have positions 1 to 7 based on arrival time.  Fiona is 8th as she is cap001, Ben is 9th as he is cap002 etc.

« Reply #555 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:57:30 pm »
Will be interesting to see how things play out down the line with the next likely three through the Checkpoint being Cristoph Stasser, Fiona Kolbinger and Michael Broadwith (24hourmaths). They seeming took slightly longer rest than those ahead and are maintaining a higher speed. Two nights of sleep debt will obviously impact the front runners and perhaps blunt progress.

24hourmaths seemed to take a more decent rest stop and was still holding a 30km/h moving average which is pretty solid for 32 hours of riding.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #556 on: 26 July, 2022, 03:30:27 pm »
There are some good photos of past TCRs in the Guardian today from James Robertson's book (warning, contains ARSE)

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2022/jul/26/bike-transcontinental-cycle-race-tcr-in-pictures
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #557 on: 27 July, 2022, 06:48:34 am »
Despite taking different routes after the CP1 parcours and stopping at different times last night, the leading group of 4 almost look to be riding together at the moment. Bartholmes, To, Gemperle, Bialek. All with similar stop times (ie - not much).

« Reply #558 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:29:24 am »
Fiona had her tracker and wallet stolen whilst sleeping. Wallet recovered and cards stopped, tracker not recovered. She’s still riding.

« Reply #559 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:40:02 am »
Fiona had her tracker and wallet stolen whilst sleeping. Wallet recovered and cards stopped, tracker not recovered. She’s still riding.

That explains why her dot was not where I expected it to be. Not a nice experience I am sure.

Hopefully the theft was just a chance occurrence, and not somebody using her tracked position, which is a risk that has been highlighted by James Hayden.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #560 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:25:48 am »
That's a real shame and a potential hazard for all.
I love her attitude that she is going to crack on regardless.
She's in stealth mode now like the invisible power up on zwift racing.
I wouldn't put it past her to pop up somewhere along CP2 parcour at the head of the race.

One of the guys racing in this one had his bike pinched on V2V while dozing. He did manage to get it back a few hours later though.

Its early days yet but so far  Im getting the distinct feeling that this race is far and away the fastest and strongest pretty much throughout  the entire field.
Looking at some of the previous mid packing and up contenders, they are down the field relatively to prior editions.
Lots of data to crunch there for a more accurate summary. Im looking to see Chris Whites (ride far) report once he has dug in to it.

With regards to that early split from the Rhine and East I feel vindicated in my choice when route planning to take the hillier Southern route rather than the  metropolis to the North. A good few reports on SM about painstaking compulsory bike paths and traffic lights while weaving through all the sprawl.
often lost.

« Reply #561 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:41:47 am »
Angus Young who is solo TT'ing the Europe Divide is already in Hamburg.
 Its a shame he didn't start a few days earlier as he would have been intersecting the stream of TCR riders around the Rhine valley.
He will be crossing their wakes between Cologne and Bonn.
often lost.

« Reply #562 on: 27 July, 2022, 12:50:04 pm »

That explains why her dot was not where I expected it to be. Not a nice experience I am sure.

Hopefully the theft was just a chance occurrence, and not somebody using her tracked position, which is a risk that has been highlighted by James Hayden.

Kristof used to turn his tracker off a little while before he slept.  Why is why people watching thought he never slept when winning, but on his blog he explains he used to sleep about 4 hours most nights of TCR.

« Reply #563 on: 27 July, 2022, 12:58:30 pm »
As to where Fiona currently is, I’d guess somewhere between Michael Broadwith and Christoph Strasser.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #564 on: 27 July, 2022, 01:17:46 pm »
 Its a shame he didn't start a few days earlier as he would have been intersecting the stream of TCR riders around the Rhine valley.

Is he riding in a schoolboy uniform?  ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #565 on: 27 July, 2022, 01:48:24 pm »

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #566 on: 27 July, 2022, 02:52:00 pm »

More importantly, is he riding all night long?

« Reply #567 on: 27 July, 2022, 03:49:12 pm »

If he is I hope he has tucked his tie into his bibs!
 He could lean over on those aero Bars a Touch Too Much  and  catch it in the front wheel. Yup stow it away safe  If you (don't) Want Blood, Get Shot Down In Flames, bounce off The Highway To hell and end up Beating around The Bush.
often lost.

« Reply #568 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:00:35 pm »

If you tap on Distance it reorders into something you can understand.

« Reply #569 on: 27 July, 2022, 05:01:57 pm »
Up front Ulrich has taken the more easterly Segway into the Inn valley via Mittenwald. I had that down as more elevation than the other way..
I also had a crappy experience on TCR05 thereabouts.  After leaving Reutte I took a trail across lake Plansee that was beautiful but unrideable. Through Garmish and down the way that Ulrich is headed. It was a pretty minor road but it was jammers with weekend traffic. Caravans, campers etc giving me no room. I bottled out and found a trail running along a stream parallel to the road and followed that instead, ultimately having to scale fences etc to crack on. Urgh!
  I dropped down to Zwirl to get to Innsbruck and the Brenner. A real steep ramp down to the valley. I bumped into Peter Wohler trudging up the other way walking his bike up the 16% .He was doing North Cape 4000.

There is another route further east via Bad Tolz we did a few years back on the Munich to Venice bike path that's lovely and would be a good option to land up east of Innsbruck but is probably a bit agricultural for the racing snakes up front.
often lost.

« Reply #570 on: 27 July, 2022, 05:15:07 pm »
Yay Fiona has a new tracker and now showing again.

« Reply #571 on: 27 July, 2022, 05:16:30 pm »
Quixotic approaching Warburg

Edd

« Reply #572 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:18:51 pm »
Just seen 165 didn't stamp his brevet card on CP1  :facepalm:
Having ridden the parcours already does he have to ride the whole thing again and get the stamp along the way, or can he go get his stamp and exit on the easiest route?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #573 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:04:21 pm »
Just seen 165 didn't stamp his brevet card on CP1  :facepalm:
Having ridden the parcours already does he have to ride the whole thing again and get the stamp along the way, or can he go get his stamp and exit on the easiest route?
He has to backtrack to CP1, not the beginning of the parcours, whether he can then detour, pass. I'd guess not though.

« Reply #574 on: 28 July, 2022, 08:11:41 am »
Frank9755 going pretty well - 95th, daily average 377km. Gulp.

James Houston going well on his Brompton, nearly 1000km done, despite needing to get a new rear triangle after finding a crack in what I think was a ti triangle.