Author Topic: Hunt heavy aero wheels  (Read 811 times)

Hunt heavy aero wheels
« on: November 25, 2019, 05:26:59 pm »
I wanted to speed up my crosscheck a little so invested in some of these: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-race-aero-superdura-road-wheelset-1595g-31deep-24wide   (I'm not *quite* that heavy  ;D, but will be using the bike for touring and gravel rides too, so wanted to err on the side of safety!).  They turned up very quickly and looked beautifully made. Came with a spoke key, spare spokes and nipples and some (weak looking) skewers.

I changed tyres too, have gone from paselas to 32mm GP5000s for the road, will try something knobblier for gravel.

They feel amazing....  the bike is much quicker (probably more than 2 or 3 mph?) with no loss of ride quality. I've had them a month and done about 300miles and nothing has gone wrong, love the wheels and will be getting some more for my faster bike. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Hunt heavy aero wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
HK uses the dynamo version of those wheels (somewhat shallower rims though) on her Tripstar AT. I've not had to touch them in over 10,000 miles and 14 months.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »
I really think that SOMEONE should point out that HK is nowhere near 130kg either.

Actually, neither am I. Just bought the ones with the most spokes (and 32 happens to be my favourite number).
Arrived on Tuesday, with v knobbly tubeless prefitted; first cross race yesterday. Ridiculous to comment on their performance- considering all the other variables- but nothing has broken and I'm impressed with their customer service and attention to detail.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 12:45:47 am »
I took the plunge recently and bought a pair of Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels, my first ever pair of spendy premium hoops which have completely restored my faith in road tubeless! Paired with 35mm Schwalbe G-One tyres they are a sheer delight to ride :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Baron Brymbo von Pickelhaube

• Adel auf dem Radel
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:23:55 am »
I really think that SOMEONE should point out that HK is nowhere near 130kg either.

Actually, neither am I. Just bought the ones with the most spokes (and 32 happens to be my favourite number).
The shouty uppercase blurb on the Hunt webpage indicates their suitability for you, Matt - "THE GO-TO FOR POWERFUL RIDERS"  :P
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:36:19 am »
I've got Hunts on my good bike (these: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/products/aero-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide) and so far no problems with them.

I do like the look of the pretty carbon ones with the oil slick spokes, though...

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:56:40 pm »
I've put nearly 6k miles on my Mason X Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels and they've been excellent. Although mostly road use, I have unavoidably dropped them in some of the many potholes that make up our roads and done some gnarly gravel tracks around mid-Wales as well and they’re still perfectly true and tight. The only thing I disliked intensely was the noisy freewheel and I tried various different grease/oils to quieten it down. None worked for very long, until I tried some Exus E-G01 semi-synthetic (unexpectedly came with an Exus grease gun from Spa, but they do sell it separately) - brilliant! Complete silence for several thousand miles now. I wouldn't look anywhere else for wheels in future.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »
conversely I love the clicky freewheel and was very excited by it. I'll make a note to avoid the Exus grease :)

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:54 pm »
conversely I love the clicky freewheel and was very excited by it. I'll make a note to avoid the Exus grease :)

I like it too! Though the higher-end models seem to have a louder freehub - I thought mine was loud until I heard the sound of the 50mm carbon versions!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 08:03:44 pm »
I prefer near-silence, hence Shimano freehubs.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 11:16:39 pm »

I like it too! Though the higher-end models seem to have a louder freehub - I thought mine was loud until I heard the sound of the 50mm carbon versions!
Interesting... my 4 Seasons freehub of less than 4 weeks old is not loud... more of a quiet whine than a rachety clack, though I do feel the need to continue to pedal slowly when overtaking horses.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 06:59:07 am »
HK broke a front spoke at the hub yesterday. Hunt’s warrantee of course doesn't include spokes. I can’t find the spare Pillar spokes that came with the wheels, so I’ll be fitting a Sapim replacement

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:41:15 pm »
I knocked my front one out of true yesterday  :( Still very rideable mind.

I've only done a few hours on it ... but about 2 of those were in CX races. So it's not very surprising, but I'm sulking a bit - I've never spent this much money on ANYTHING for a bike. Not even on a bike! <tiny violins gif>

Meanwhile: The stupid freehub is proving an advantage in races - it reminds me when I'm not pedalling!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 10:22:23 am »
I'll have to say with their pricing I'm quite tempted.   The new Dolan will need some nicer/lighter wheels in the Spring.