Author Topic: New/Old Bob Jackson World Tour  (Read 2991 times)

Re: New/Old Bob Jackson World Tour
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:05:38 pm »
I am 182cm with c.90cm legs.  My Bob Jackson was supposed to be custom but my Roberts that really was custom has a shorter top tube.  I replaced the stem on the BJ, I never had to change a thing on the Roberts.

"you'd have to get very lucky with a used custom frame made for someone equally freaky."

My 1987 British Eagle would never have been custom yet it fits me perfectly, having a 62cm frame with a relatively short top tube.  It was made by a small workshop (Eagle Cycle Works, Mochdre, Newtown, Powys SY16 4LD) employing Welsh ex-coal miners and Barry Hoban was their design consultant.

In the mid-80s a quite a number of UK frame makers operated and could offer a variety of sizings.  I bought my first good bike(531 frame) in 1985.  I went to the shop in The Strand, they measured me up and told me to come back in a couple of hours!  When I returned, there was my bike, ready to go and I rode it to Chelmsford station where my car was parked.  I guess they had a stack of ready-made frames, all sizes, and just needed to stick the components on.   When it got nicked I bought the British Eagle Touristique off ebay for £30 (and spent loads more doing it up).

That’s the most romantic version of the enterprise in Newtown I’ve seen. :-)

You're welcome! :thumbsup:
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 04:00:50 pm »
Definitely too small, I'm identical I  measurements to you and it wasn't until bike fit+custom frame that I started to be able to interpret geometry charts to know what would fit (stack and reach helped a great deal). 

I'd guess at least 3/4 of road style bikes in the market wouldn't fit us without a huge stack of headset spacers, and that shouldn't be done with anything other than a steel fork steerer.  The 1/4 that would work are in the 'relaxed/sportive' type geometry that's a fairly recent thing so it rules out the vast majority of otp steel frames of old on the second hand market,  you'd have to get very lucky with a used custom frame made for someone equally freaky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So I was thinking of just getting a world tour (or possibly end to end) from Bob Jackson (I'm based in Leeds). I asked them what size they thought I should go for based on my legs and Donald reckoned 23.5. That sounds massive since I've always ridden a 56 (although I appreciate that has probably been too small). I asked what the top tube would be and he said 22.75 on both. Do you think that will be okay? I'm guessing my discomfort comes from the saddle being so much higher than the bars rather than the reach, right?

Other option is going to Woodrup and splashing more cash.

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 11:40:22 pm »
The Bob Jackson has a horizontal top tube, so it’s probably not as tall as you expect compared to a 56cm sloping tube frame.

You might also like to try a Spa Wayfarer - 56 or 58 short? - but you’d have to wait till they get some more in I think. The Elan is an Audax with taller head tube iirc. They’re all disc brakes - don’t know if that matters.

I’m 185cm (born in the 60s Roger and my Dad was 191cm with best friend at 201) with 88cm inside leg. I’ve various frames from

Kinesis Aithein 59cm with a 90mm -17 degree stem cause the head tube is long and so is the reach
Spa Steel Audax 58cm with 100mm -7 stem and no spacers
Genesis Volare 56cm with 110mm -7 stem and 5 or 10mm spacer

These are all aggressive

Also a Chinese carbon frame in 56/7 with about 20mm more stack, 10mm less reach by stem and wider bars. That’s more relaxed.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 08:28:39 am »
Definitely too small, I'm identical I  measurements to you and it wasn't until bike fit+custom frame that I started to be able to interpret geometry charts to know what would fit (stack and reach helped a great deal). 

I'd guess at least 3/4 of road style bikes in the market wouldn't fit us without a huge stack of headset spacers, and that shouldn't be done with anything other than a steel fork steerer.  The 1/4 that would work are in the 'relaxed/sportive' type geometry that's a fairly recent thing so it rules out the vast majority of otp steel frames of old on the second hand market,  you'd have to get very lucky with a used custom frame made for someone equally freaky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So I was thinking of just getting a world tour (or possibly end to end) from Bob Jackson (I'm based in Leeds). I asked them what size they thought I should go for based on my legs and Donald reckoned 23.5. That sounds massive since I've always ridden a 56 (although I appreciate that has probably been too small). I asked what the top tube would be and he said 22.75 on both. Do you think that will be okay? I'm guessing my discomfort comes from the saddle being so much higher than the bars rather than the reach, right?

Other option is going to Woodrup and splashing more cash.

There seem to be reports that Bob Jackson are closing down.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 08:39:51 am »
 :'( if they do.

Modern frame sizing is madness, compared to the days of that original bike. You've no idea what it means, because sloping top tubes make sizing almost random. Whereas, with a horizontal top tube, you at least know how tall the thing is, even if length can vary.

So is the original bike getting used? It deserves to be.

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 03:46:26 pm »
If you still want one, you’d better be quick

Quote from BJ website:

After 85 years of frame building & restorations Bob Jackson Cycles will be closing it’s doors for the very last time on the 18th December 2020, We are very much an ageing work force and over the years have not been able to find younger members of staff to train up and move forwards. After what has been a very crazy year for all of us we have  decided it’s time to hang up our welding torches and spray guns for the last time and enjoy some retirement while we can.

All current orders and work  with us will be finished as promised, Any customers who still need our services ( No Chrome Plating) will need to have their frames with us by the 7th November, Frames after this time will not be accepted .

On a personal note all at Bob Jackson Cycles now and in the past would like to thank all our customers for their business over the last 85 years, We are sorry it has come to this but nobody can stop the passing of time and everyone is entitled to enjoy a few years of retirement.

Thank You,

All At Bob Jackson Cycles
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo