Author Topic: Cycle surgery - nice staff but an odd place  (Read 1191 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Cycle surgery - nice staff but an odd place
« on: December 10, 2019, 12:09:23 am »
Popped in the other day as the cartridge BB had given out after about 9000 km on the fixed gear. I decided to just go with the nearest bike shop to my given location (Waterloo) and try my luck. Sadly the Evans on The Cut has closed else I'd have gone there.

In I walk, bike on its rear wheel, and to be fair someone immediately springs up and says hello how can they help. 'Hi, do you have any 68 by 110 cartridge bottom brackets?' sez I. I am immediately referred to some other poor victim who will be my translator.

Up next we play bike charades. I point to the BB and add some more detail - square taper BBs please... I am then led into the workshop and the chap starts rummaging around the parts bins. We get round to one marked BBs (result!). Then it's left to me to ransack around more until I find a Shimano one with the relevant figures. I am charged £20 which does sting a bit (and that's with a London Cycling Campaign discount...) but a cartridge BB in hand is worth ten coming by post. The chap who supervised my search did a nice job of running me through which discounts I was eligible for which was good of him.

On the whole I had a fun fifteen minutes in Cycle Surgery but I wouldn't go in expecting the most expert mechanics in the world! It was pretty decent of them to put some effort in to help me and let me rummage in their stores instead of trying to act superior.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Re: Cycle surgery - nice staff but an odd place
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 09:41:02 am »
The one just off Victoria Street is my go to lunchtime for spares place.   The staff are a bit hit and miss but if know what you're looking for it's fine.

Last time round I bought a park tools BB spanner for my external BB cups.  Guy behind the till made absolutely sure I had the right spanner and talked through which side was clockwise/anti clockwise so there was a decent amount of mechanical knowledge there.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 03:31:23 pm »
I bought a smart trainer from them last year, literally only because I had recently found some CUK (CTC) literature that reminded me that my membership entitles me to a discount.

I've never seen a store in the flesh and they never really made it into my online bike stuff shopping sphere (rarely get further than Wiggle/CRC & Sigma). Hard times to be in high street retail.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:18:14 pm »
I've got a pair of shoes in a sale from the Filton branch (Bristol) and a bargain orange gilet from Broadmead branch when it was closing down (both branches ran simultaneously for a while, the Filton one is still going).
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 10:22:20 pm »
I had to spell out "Campagnolo" recently in a branch of another chain...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 10:51:05 pm »
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...