Author Topic: Aluminium doors  (Read 1502 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Aluminium doors
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 10:41:06 pm »
Sigh, what to do... why do all the composite doors look cheap and nasty? That fake woodgrain texture is barely better than UPVC.

We have a landlord-quality composite door, courtesy of the landlord.  I consider it a win, because it doesn't have any gaps around the edges (Arctic gusts, for the admission of) and the fake woodgrain looks much better than genuine peeling paint it replaced.  It also came as part of a set with windows that keep the weather out and open properly, which is a massive point in its favour.  FWIW, I reckon the outside (black[1]) looks nicer than the inside (white) - especially when you consider what white's going to look like after a couple of years accumulating grime.

TBH, I'm in the camp of avoiding such skeuomorphism.  It's clearly a composite door, I'd rather accept that and have an inoffensively synthetic texture (preferably not shiny smooth, as it will inevitably get scratched), rather than an unconvincing attempt to look like wood.

[1] Since it catches the afternoon sun and heats up to the point you can feel the re-radiated heat when standing in front of it, but not when touching the inside, I'm suitably impressed by its thermal performance.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2020, 10:25:34 am »
Thoroughly agree about the fake woodgrain!  Why, oh why do they do that?  Probably is to avoid a glossy finish that shows scratches, but as said above, why not a gentle synthetic texture.

UPVC doors are not in the same league (says the person who bought a house with 2 UPVC doors, one of them only installed a year beforehand)....  They are typically bendy things, and easily marked or scratched, and, of course, they are (almost) always white (yuk!).
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2020, 03:24:12 pm »
Just been to a showroom where they had Solidors.
Looked up Google reviews and they are pretty poor. Lots of complaints about warping doors, cracking panels, leaking glass & corroding ironmongery.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 03:45:27 pm »
I am not quite sure why people are so anti uPVC. 

With very little maintenance it lasts for decades, is relatively light yet strong, fully recyclable (yes, I know that builders tend to just skip them), easy to clean, and, you can if you wish vinyl wrap them for colour.

Also, they are easy to make even more thermally efficient by simply squirting expanding foam into the extrusions.

Wood is lovely but high maintenance: any metal conducts heat and therefore cold so extra work is always required to deal with thermal bridging.  Unless you are in a conservation area or listed building then uPVC is a practical and cost effective solution.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »
^^ This for me

Can't say I've ever gone past a house and gone Tsssk, horrid doors!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 05:23:04 pm »
uPVC looks horrid and cheap, but it works (except for the window, which Ciara is proving isn't fixed). That said, if I were getting them redone I'd get wood, but then The Asbestos Palace is clad in wood, so it needs periodical repainting anyway. But anyway, we have uPVC and I'm not bothering with replacing stuff that works. Plus it's doors and windows and I can't get too excited about them. But I do want the leaky one fixed.

I will however, once I'm leader, be making stone cladding and other similar home dis-improvement atrocities retrospective criminal offences.
!nataS pihsroW

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 11:06:40 pm »
When we moved in we had a single glazed wooden door which was a) cold b) draughty and c) fugly. This we replaced with a decorative glazed harwood door which when new was bootiful. After a few years, despite regular repainting it was a) cold, b) draughty c) sticking due to swelling ad d) fugly. We replaced with a composite door with decorative double glazed insets. This has lasted with no maintnance beyond the odd hinge oiling/ adjusment and looks almost as good as the day it was installed.
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2020, 11:19:14 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2020, 06:51:21 pm »
When we moved in we had a single glazed wooden door which was a) cold b) draughty and c) fugly. This we replaced with a decorative glazed harwood door which when new was bootiful. After a few years, despite regular repainting it was a) cold, b) draughty c) sticking due to swelling ad d) fugly. We replaced with a composite door with decorative double glazed insets. This has lasted with no maintnance beyond the odd hinge oiling/ adjusment and looks almost as good as the day it was installed.

Interesting (just as I was resigning myself to just getting the frame repaired and sucking up to doing more painting).
What sort of composite, foam filled?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »
Thoroughly agree about the fake woodgrain!  Why, oh why do they do that?  Probably is to avoid a glossy finish that shows scratches, but as said above, why not a gentle synthetic texture.

Why do they do that? Because as everyone knows, it was better before, and in before-ish times, all doors were made of real solid wood ;D ;D

A

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2020, 11:03:31 pm »

Interesting (just as I was resigning myself to just getting the frame repaired and sucking up to doing more painting).
One of these-
https://www.academywindows.co.uk/composite-doors/
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 01:07:38 pm »
One of these-

They have "a huge range of brand new sytles" too!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 01:53:50 pm »
One of these-

They have "a huge range of brand new sytles" too!

Well style is so blasé and yesterday
It's a reverse Elvis thing.