Author Topic: VeloBirmingham?  (Read 10061 times)

Re: VeloBirmingham?
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:15 am »
Velo Birmingham looks as though it may continue following divestment by CSM Sport and Entertainment to a new principal shareholder.   This follows a succession of heavy financial losses that exceeded a staggering one million pounds in 2017.  Whilst the losses have since reduced to £885k for 2018 (we will not yet know what they are for 2019), we can assume that they have decided it that is no longer a business model that is sustainable.  The renamed group, Active Sport and Entertainment, clearly see that a future does exist.  They have new staff and a new headquarters and presumably, a new business model with possible new backers.

CSM’s involvement was beleaguered from beginning to end.  The first Velo Birmingham was fraught with problems through lack of due process with the relevant local authorities;  Velo South in 2018 was cancelled due atrocious weather conditions; Velo North was cancelled due to lack of interest, and; Velo Birmingham 2019 was troubled by external factors beyond CSM’s immediate control such irresponsible drivers, a dead horse and a fatality.

Meanwhile the new organisers have been approaching venues, including the university, for a start and finish location for Velo Birmingham 2020.  Whether the new arrangements place these type of events on a more sustainable footing, only time will tell. 

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2020, 08:19:25 pm »
Whatever they re-name themselves, I hope to goodness they stay away from the North Pennines.  Closed roads are the last thing we need.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 04:36:44 pm »
Just spotted this change to the FAQ:

What type of bikes are not allowed?
The following are forbidden at Vélo Birmingham & Midlands for health and safety reasons: bikes with disc wheels, recumbent bicycles with full fairing or tricycle configuration, electronic bikes not compliant with current UK/EU legal requirements for ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs), unicycles, elliptical cycles, penny farthings, tricycles, quad cycles, BMX bikes, fixed gear bikes / singlespeeds / fixies (allowed with two independent brakes and a freehub) and handbikes / cycles. Any unconventional handlebars including triathlon bars, aero bars, clip-ons, prayer bars, Spinaci bars and cow bars, handlebar extensions bars without Bar end plugs fitted; and any other items which the Organiser considers may be a danger to the safety of other participants.

Can I ride my e-bike at Vélo Birmingham & Midlands?
For Vélo Birmingham & Midlands, e-bikes will be permitted on all distances. Only those cycles that comply with current UK/EU legal requirements for ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs) are permitted in the sportive. EAPCs still require the rider to pedal and the electric motor, with a maximum power of 250 watts, cannot provide assistance when travelling at more than 25 km/h (15.5mph). Participants using e-bikes must still meet the requirements for entering as per the Event T&Cs.

If you wish to participate in Vélo Birmingham & Midlands on an e-bike, you must inform us by emailing hello@velobirmingham.com (stating your full name) prior to purchasing your entry. These details are required so you can be placed in a suitable start wave for safety reasons.

Can I ride my recumbent bike at Vélo Birmingham & Midlands?
Recumbent Cycles (not full fairing or tricycle configuration) with a sufficient visible rear marker that is 2m in height will be permitted on all distances at Vélo Birmingham & Midlands. If you wish to participate on a recumbent, you must inform us by emailing hello@velobirmingham.com (stating your full name and image of recumbent) prior to purchasing your entry. These details are required so you can be placed in a suitable start wave for safety reasons.

So they're permitting part-faired or unfaired recumbent bicycles, as long as they've got a flag, but not - for some reason - tricycles or handcycles[1].

Sensible approach to electric assist.

Fixies are only permitted when fitted with brakes and a freehub  ???

And yes, magic hats still compulsory.

[1] Okay, handcyclists are going to be mostly excluded by the distance, anyway.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 04:42:55 pm »
In my new experience 'inside' cycling basically a lot of the 'events people' have no involvement with cycling whatsoever.

We were recently asked if anyone from our organisation would like to be a marshal at a big walking event, 'if we bring our own bikes and helmets.' I responded that we would probably not have any volunteers forthcoming on the basis of them being told a helmet is 'mandatory' and that many of us don't own one. They came back to me saying that they assumed (!) it was mandatory anyway....
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:38 pm »
So basically a safety recommendation for recumbents that is not evidence based. Quelle surprise.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »
Part of me would like to ask them if they've done a risk assessment for the use of flags.  I'm not sure what problem they think they're solving, but I reckon they're introducing an eye hazard by requiring them...

The rest of me can't be arsed.  I'm not entering.  I'll be at the York Rally instead.

Disappointing that they aren't permitting tricycles, though, given their popularity with disabled cyclists.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2020, 03:07:02 pm »
Cancelled! No refunds or transfers.
Of no personal interest as I don’t do this sort of event, but much wailing and gnashing from people I know who do.

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »
I think theyre linked to velo Essex which I was considering due to the idea of closed roads but being tight and having other priorities this year didnt

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2020, 03:53:14 pm »
I think theyre linked to velo Essex which I was considering due to the idea of closed roads but being tight and having other priorities this year didnt

They seem to be. They are now saying that Essex is closed for entries under the present circumstances, but if it does open up then Birmingham entrants can transfer.