Author Topic: Brompton frame hinge pins  (Read 196 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Brompton frame hinge pins
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:35:20 pm »
As part of repainting my Brompton, it looks like I need to drill out and fit new hinge pins in the frame and handlebar stem.

Given that the hinges are well worn and have a lot of play already, I will probably need to fit oversized pins after reaming them out to suit. Getting Brompton hinge pins is not overly difficult but the question is:
Do I spend a silly amount on a Brompton hinge pin tool that looks like an overgrown chaintool and all three associated reamers?

I am thinking yes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Brompton frame hinge pins
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:18 am »
We'll want photos. You've already led me astray on main pivot tools.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 03:44:54 pm »
As you're in Lahndon, wouldn't it be cheaper to get the Brompton factory to do it?
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 03:51:25 pm »
I do not like Brompton’s approach of stopping owners from doing maintenance. I am prepared to spend money to get around that limitation. I have multiple hinge pins now and only need to get the necessary tools and actually do the work.

In any case, getting any bike maintenance done currently takes weeks. I would like to ride my repainted Brompton sometime this year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 05:48:07 pm »
+1

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
Fair enough.  They are utter bastards when it comes to end user parts supply too; parts availability used to be the best reason to buy one, along with the fold.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.