General Category > The Knowledge

Rack packs / bags

(1/4) > >>

Sergeant Pluck:
I could do with a new rack pack. I have an Arkel on another bike but I’m thinking of something 1) quick release, unless you persuade me otherwise, and 2) biggerer.

Also: waterproof without the aid of a rain cover. Roll top perhaps? Compact when unloaded but capable of taking a bag of groceries, let’s say. Not particularly keen on the Topeak QR system but open to persuasion.

Advice appreciated. A pannier bag would fit the bill but I’d prefer something rack top this time.

I quite like this but a few reviews have pointed out shortcomings with the roll closure. And it’s more than I’d like to spend for work commute porpoises:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ortlieb-city-trunk-bag-rc-with-rack-lock-adapter-2652883

Bolt:
I think finding something to match all of your requirements may be tricky.  There's the huge LOMO 15L roll top rack pack which I have used and is great, but it's certainly not a neat option when empty.  Then there's the Carradice Super C, which I think looks neater but with no quick release.  Although it's not 100% waterproof without it's raincover I would highly recommend for the Topeak DXP MTX trunk bag, expandable up to a massive 23l.  I've never used it with a raincover having found it's adequately waterproof for commuting as it is. 

phil w:
The Carradice superC rack pack is quick release with a draw string closure under the lid. It is 15 litres.

Kim:

--- Quote from: phil w on February 17, 2020, 10:20:39 pm ---The Carradice superC rack pack is quick release with a draw string closure under the lid. It is 15 litres.

--- End quote ---

Mine's not.  It's got the usual four velcro straps arrangement.

Seems to keep the wet stuff out, though I don't think I've had it in heavy rain for more than an hour or so.

phil w:

--- Quote from: Kim on February 17, 2020, 10:24:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: phil w on February 17, 2020, 10:20:39 pm ---The Carradice superC rack pack is quick release with a draw string closure under the lid. It is 15 litres.

--- End quote ---

Mine's not.  It's got the usual four velcro straps arrangement.

Seems to keep the wet stuff out, though I don't think I've had it in heavy rain for more than an hour or so.

--- End quote ---

I meant the lid is quick release buckles but maybe they meant from the rack, it Isn’t clear. But the Velcro attachment is quick release from rack as far as I’m concerned. Can confirm it works in hours and hours of rain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version