General Category > The Knowledge

Converting a triple 9spd crankset to a single for SRAM NX 12

(1/2) > >>

GusGF:
I'm trying to source a chainring for my crankset, a Shimano Hollowtech 2 XT FC-M771 triple. I want to completely remove the existing chainrings (replace the existing 48 Tooth 9-Speed Chainring 104 BCD) and fit a chainring which is 12spd compatible, have heard an 11spd chainring would also suffice. It seems that the manufacturers concentrate on the smaller sizes for the MTB market. The only place I've found which seems to have a big selection is SJS cycles.

But the problem is I've no idea if any of these will fit ???  How on earth do you nail down what is compatible? Is it a case of matching the BCD from the same manufacturer?

rafletcher:
The internal width of 9/10/11/12 speed chains is the same so the my widen your choice.

GusGF:

--- Quote from: rafletcher on February 18, 2020, 07:12:06 pm ---The internal width of 9/10/11/12 speed chains is the same so the my widen your choice.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, also had a look here and it's beginning to make sense. Since I'm only going to have a single up front it looks like I'll get away with it. The only other spanner in the works would be the length of the links but they look to be the same  :thumbsup:

sojournermike:
The 12 speed chain will be fine on any 3/32 chainring. Search on eBay for a 104bcd narrow wide ring.

Mike

Brucey:
'any 3/32" chainring' includes ones which were meant originally for 5/6s systems.  A 9-12s chain (which is referred to by the manufacturers as 11/128" chain not 3/32" chain) will be snug on those teeth; the slightest bit of mud, or burring of the teeth and chainsuck is quite likely.

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version