Author Topic: Guitar tabs for fun songs?  (Read 369 times)

Guitar tabs for fun songs?
« on: February 21, 2020, 10:40:57 am »
Grandson (17 months) currently enjoys (hah!) my guitar playing. Only, I'm not very good. I was never that good and I've had a hiatus of twenty years or more without playing. And, as I can't sing I've never really learned fun songs. And yes, I don't read music at all well.

Looking around, I found sites like https://blackspotguitars.com/nursery-rhymes-guitar-chords/ but (as I haven't found my capo and the mail order one hasn't arrived and I don't feel like manually transposing) they don't really work.

Any suggestions, as per the title?

Edd

Re: Guitar tabs for fun songs?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:25:01 pm »
There are quite a lot of tabs on https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ it might be worth having a look there

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »
What key do you want them in?

This should help you transpose

For example Baa Baa Black Sheep (E - A - B7) is probably in E (but they've used B7 instead of B) so in C it would be C - F - G7

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:56:13 pm »
Ham, if you want any transposing done, just ask, it's as easy as breathing.

Old MacDonald Had A Farm on ultimate-guitar, as per Edd's suggestion, looks good.

The title says you are looking TAB. Is that right? Or just chords and lyrics? Or a lead sheet (melody line, chords and lyrics)?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:13:19 pm »
Chords and lyrics for fun sing alongs, really  (eg wheels onna bus stuff) and thanks for the table - at the moment I'm looking to pull stuff on screen and play from there, which is one reason I was avoiding transposition. I like that Ultimate Guitar stuff

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 01:27:11 pm »
If you know the tune you can work out the chords by ear and the kids won't know the difference.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 01:41:02 pm »
... you can work out the chords by ear

Can I? there are numerous members of the audience along with next door's cat who might disagree.

Curiously, playing random chords actually makes it more difficult to "sing" (or whatever approximates to that in the general area of my vocal resonating system)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 02:21:38 pm »
Your Favorite Nursery Rhymes - Only 8 songs (all on one page) but very nicely done.

Childrens' Songs & Rhymes with Easy Chords - I can't say I am impressed with the layout of songs but they are there, lyrics and chords and you can download a PDF if you like.

Children's favourite nursery rhymes - I wonder whether a good old fashioned printed songbook might suffice. At least they have been designed and laid out properly.

As far as singing goes, one thing I have noticed is that a key that is good for performing the song (eg. in front of a class, at school assembly) is usually too high when sat quietly at home with the audience just an arm's length away. I normally drop a song by a minor 3rd (3 frets, 3 semitones). Old MacDonald in G (ultimate guitar) is perfect for my voice on stage but the version in D (top link in this post) is much lower and may be easier at home. I guess you don't want to be doing your Robert Plant impersonation sat right in front of a toddler.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 03:13:52 pm »
The Usborne Children's Songbook has got some good, simple, well known stuff in, if you can find a copy.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
... you can work out the chords by ear

Can I? there are numerous members of the audience along with next door's cat who might disagree.

Curiously, playing random chords actually makes it more difficult to "sing" (or whatever approximates to that in the general area of my vocal resonating system)

Nah, you work them out in advance & go over them a couple of times. Easy.

Oh aye, have a go at Johnny McEldoo. My kids used to love it.

https://youtu.be/XjrwPAVylX4
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.