Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 4577 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2020, 07:42:31 pm »
There previous stance of no events until 1st August at earliest remains.

and Audax LEJOG has not been cancelled that finises in 31st July  :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »
Don't know if that's a co-incidence - the new, "self-sufficient" GBDURO is scheduled for August 1st:

https://www.theracingcollective.com/gbduro.html
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
BC have sent a mail out.

1. National level races suspended to 1st Sep
2. Sportives suspended to 1st Aug
3. Club rides and Breeze rides only suspended to 4th July as they could be reintroduced at short notice.

If AUK are following BC then 2 is the nearest fit for calendar events.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2020, 12:21:32 am »
There previous stance of no events until 1st August at earliest remains.

and Audax LEJOG has not been cancelled that finises in 31st July  :thumbsup:

I'll be amazed if hostel style accommodation is allowed at that time.

Don't know if that's a co-incidence - the new, "self-sufficient" GBDURO is scheduled for August 1st:

Their concept of self-sufficient prohibits the use of "Commercial services and buildings in general"
So erm like shops then? 2000km only scavenging... right...

Probably get lynched at Gretna if they try and run it this year anyway.

BC have sent a mail out.

3. Club rides and Breeze rides only suspended to 4th July as they could be reintroduced at short notice.

Aligning with 2 makes some sense, though not a legal requirement "Social Distancing"* is here for a significant period.
* Amazingly none of the 4 nations rule sets makes the one single major factor in transmission actually illegal, and it's the one contact tracing is based around.

Edit: And as I flicked over to Facebook what appears first, land access issues.
Who's got governmental traction for that? Ramblers, BMC, MCofS etc.

Don't underestimate the advantage of being seen as a "governing body" by government.

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:46 am »

Their concept of self-sufficient prohibits the use of "Commercial services and buildings in general"

Not scavenging. Setting off at the start carrying sufficient food for the entire event. This is quite feasible. For the marathon des sables running race you have to carry 6 days of food and that is running. When travelling to somewhere uninhabited back in the 80s I had 4 weeks worth of food on a bike. The only resource you would scavenge for is water as that is too heavy to carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2020, 07:22:27 am »
BC have sent a mail out.

Sportives of around 50 riders are a very good fit!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2020, 09:27:03 am »
BC have sent a mail out.

Sportives of around 50 riders are a very good fit!

1-9 participants       Social riding
10-99 participants  club runs and majority of audax
100-999 participants   A small number of more popular audaxes
1000-9999 participants   Most sportives
10000+    A small number of more popular sportives

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2020, 11:11:20 am »

My friend is entered for this and they have hotels booked for the start, finish *and* part way round. She was saying last week they'd almost rather it was cancelled then at least they'd know what to do- postponement won't really help them re-plan, as they don't know what will be open then, either.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2020, 08:13:10 am »
...hotels booked ... part way round.

Don't tell anyone - you might get her DQ'd!

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:18 am »
It's entirely possible I had misunderstood
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2020, 09:57:20 am »
BC have sent a mail out.

Conflicting advice from BC or different for Scotland?

The e-mail to the club states Sportives from 1st August but additional information from Scottish Cycling states Sportives from 1st September.

Suspension of British and Scottish Cycling Sanctioned Activity

All British Cycling sanctioned cycling activity is currently suspended until 30 June 2020.
While many of you have been enjoying the opportunity to ride recreationally, we appreciate
that the cycling community is looking for direction and certainty on when club, group and
competitive activity can resume.
The British Cycling position has been agreed with Scottish Cycling and Welsh Cycling, but we
recognise that devolved government guidance may dictate that adjustments are required,
including the dates we are working towards.
To support the Scottish Cycling clubs, event organisers and riders, the following guidance
will further explain the British Cycling extension to the suspension of activity, in Scotland.

International and British National level races, including British National Series, British
Championships and Sportives

British Cycling are extending the suspension of International and British National Series and
Championship races and all Sportives until 1 September 2020. This will include the British
National Series events which were due to take place in Scotland during that time.
British Cycling will review this on a fortnightly basis in line with UK Government advice and
will give six weeks’ public notice of any extension or curtailment of the suspension. British
Cycling, working with event organisers and stakeholders will lead on the process to
rearrange these events later in the calendar year if possible.
For Sportives in Scotland, these events must follow the Scottish Government advice, and
this will be communicated accordingly if there is any change to this suspension date.

Taking part in an Audax with 30 odd riders is one thing but the Dirty Reiver has been re-scheduled for a mid-September date. Don't think I want to congregate with 1000+ riders so soon. So probably a DNS from me if it goes ahead.

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »
All the dates being talked about are possible best guesses. They are entirely conditional on the R number and other factors.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2020, 02:26:37 pm »
The e-mail to the club states Sportives from 1st August but additional information from Scottish Cycling states Sportives from 1st September.

Since BC/SC have been in discussion with Scot gov, that suggests they have received the govs thinking on when we might get to phase 3.
We're still working to "end of September" as evidenced by the gov paying for the barriers to be lifted at the 3 PFI car parks.

I've heard detected cases are up locally, but likely due to a further availability of testing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »
There has been some discussion on the AUK Forum regarding AUK's next steps.

<SNIP>
It does look increasingly likely that we will be faced with parts of the UK releasing at different speeds (I realise that is happening already but none of them has yet reached the point where we could consider resuming there).  We are also looking at a gradual release with announcements followed sometimes several days later by guidelines that do not always seem to be quite what people were expecting.

On that basis, we will need to consider and decide on the fundamentals around those issues - ie are we willing (or indeed able in some cases) to validate some types or durations of events but not others and to validate rides in some parts of the UK but not others - and make the appropriate announcement (probably too late for this week so more likely next).

At the same time, we await the detail on the next phases of release in each part of the UK with interest.  We are somehow going to have to deal with four different release processes whatever we decide.
<SNIP>
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2020, 10:55:52 pm »
It's worth nothing that it has a reminder for  us that the points championships are null and void for the season.

Though nothing on how it affects awards that are time/season based.
Does it mean I have effe ticley half a season less to complete R/Bwotsit?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk