Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 312266 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3600 on: July 11, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
Hmm, I used that word in an email on Monday.
You are our original sauce AICMFP 😛
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #3601 on: July 11, 2019, 11:01:24 pm »
I do wonder if I imagined the entire internet.

This happened with bears. One night as I dozed off I thought up an animal, kind of like a big dog that really liked going to the loo in the woods, and would do anything for honey. The next day I was reading the paper, and there it was, a story about an animal called a bear. So basically I invented bears. I'm not even asking for a royalty.
!nataS pihsroW

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3602 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:07 pm »
I do wonder if I imagined the entire internet.

I think that was Al Gore.  You may have imagined him.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #3603 on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:38 pm »
It's quite possible. A lot of things pass through my mind as I fall asleep, who knows which ones get actioned.

We've just hired a Jess at work. As you might remember, Jess is my favourite vampire ex-librarian and occasional saver of the world. That's an entirely different Jess though. My brain however confuses them. This is eventually going to result in a more generalized confusion and possible logical decoherence. I am wondering now if the undead Jess would actually like a job in a corporate mothership. Things can only get better*.

*Oh boy, now that song is in my head. Awesome.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #3604 on: July 11, 2019, 11:48:13 pm »
Now this is getting surreal because Dr Beardy (Mrs) has a colleague called Jess who has just quit to take up another role at a different institution.
I’m now going to go to bed before any more weird shit happens.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3605 on: July 12, 2019, 08:01:23 am »
My Inlaw Maw was called Jessie.  De mortuis nil nisi bonum so nuff said.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3606 on: July 12, 2019, 08:15:05 am »
Jess stop it.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #3607 on: July 12, 2019, 09:13:18 am »
Yesterday I learned a new word: otiose.
I didn't know it had meanings 2 and 3. Not sure I've ever used it.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

« Reply #3608 on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:43 am »
I have learned (well, yesterday) that:

1) I am an utter and thoroughgoing div. Well, not learned, just reinforced
2) The steel that bottom bearings are made from means that it is not practical, faced with a seized drive side bearing, to grind off the face and then hacksaw through to remove. Trying to do so leaves a conundrum that will need a chunk of metal welded on to the stub of the bearing, and has potentially trashed the frame. See item (1). I may try a diamond blade on a reciprocating saw, hacksaw just slides over.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3609 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »
Thought the standard technique for a siezed fixed cup was to put the largest nut and bolt that will fit through the bearing and then tighten it with the biggest spanner you can find.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #3610 on: July 12, 2019, 03:40:54 pm »
Yesterday I learned a new word: otiose.
I didn't know it had meanings 2 and 3. Not sure I've ever used it.

Did you notice the 2nd US pronunciation? "Odious".
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3611 on: July 13, 2019, 12:20:23 pm »
That there are things called Key Locked Thread Inserts. They do the same job as Helicoil inserts (repair banjaxed threads) but are installed using regular drills and taps.

Abom79, one of the cake decorating machinist YouTube channels I watch shows the installation.
Big Brother is watching us! This very video has just popped up in my feed, and it is a contributor I have not watched before, although I have watched the output of other cake decorators machinists.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CAMRAMan

• Formerly A Warwickshire Lad
« Reply #3612 on: July 13, 2019, 12:36:17 pm »
I discovered that some people with spinal injuries are unable to sweat and to properly maintain body temperature in cold weather.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3613 on: July 13, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
That there are things called Key Locked Thread Inserts. They do the same job as Helicoil inserts (repair banjaxed threads) but are installed using regular drills and taps.

Abom79, one of the cake decorating machinist YouTube channels I watch shows the installation.
I am liking these very much.
I have always considered Helicoil inserts to be off the scale on the bodge-o-meter.
Who thought that replacing a thread in a solid material with a spring was a good idea?

« Reply #3614 on: July 14, 2019, 07:18:15 am »

Big Brother is watching us! This very video has just popped up in my feed, and it is a contributor I have not watched before, although I have watched the output of other cake decorators machinists.

The same thing happened to me. I suspect it is an overlap with the followers of project binky.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #3615 on: July 14, 2019, 12:04:43 pm »
I discovered that some people with spinal injuries are unable to sweat and to properly maintain body temperature in cold weather.

I damaged some nerves on my scalp so when I so much as sniff vinegar, water pours off my scalp in a Niagaran cascade. It's my party trick (admittedly my bookings as a children's entertainer are down). On the downside, I can only eat buffalo wings alone and with the towel. Which, now I've written it, sounds very wrong. But I love buffalo wings, so.
!nataS pihsroW

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3616 on: July 14, 2019, 03:13:32 pm »

I damaged some nerves on my scalp so when I so much as sniff vinegar, water pours off my scalp in a Niagaran cascade. It's my party trick (admittedly my bookings as a children's entertainer are down). On the downside, I can only eat buffalo wings alone and with the towel. Which, now I've written it, sounds very wrong. But I love buffalo wings, so.

Of all you've written, it's only this that seems very wrong?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #3617 on: Yesterday at 09:34:12 am »
I neglected to mention the swimming trunks. No sense soaking a clean shirt. Plus the sauce gets everywhere.
!nataS pihsroW