Author Topic: OT; Long Distance Walks  (Read 2138 times)

Re: OT; Long Distance Walks
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 09:47:59 pm »
Kit? I recall them talking about the new wonder that was Goretex.

Yeh, I did the Like Wake in my school shoss (don't think I had anything else bar some plimsolls, wellies and football boots, jeans and a cagoule circa 1978 or so.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Martin

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 09:49:04 pm »
I've done very little of the South Downs Way on foot but the whole thing on bike in a day (bloody hard, did my first 600 the week before this was harder)

Trying to explore all the others locally at the moment; the Mid Sussex Link looks good although that's likely to be a bivi weekend in the summer

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34:21 pm »
Kit? I recall them talking about the new wonder that was Goretex.

Goretex, been around 44 years this year. How time flies...

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 10:23:33 am »
There's a new right-of-way over the hill we can see from the front windows.  So we had a good, hilly, solitary, 13k circular walk from the front door on Saturday. 

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 01:42:58 pm »
This post has got me thinking about walking/ jogging again. In 1986 I walked the South Downs Way , then 80 miles, from Petersfield to Eastbourne, in 24 hours, 

On Saturday I was part of a small group doing a sponsored walk of 24 miles (socially-distanced, of course) along the Thames to Richmond, around Richmond Park, and back to Tolworth. Sadly lots of groups of friends walking and cycling not socially distancing... First long walk for many years, and legs stiff and stairs are still difficult to negotiate today!

I will buy probably proper walking and also jogging trainers once the crisis has passed.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 07:25:57 pm »
Belatedly checking in to YACF! I’ve walked the LDWA Hundred 7 times over the years, but none of them were anything like as hard to me as my only 600k Audax (3 coasts, completed in 39:55 about 15 years ago).
Mind you, I count myself as a walker who sometimes cycles. Doing either is tough at the moment, but the sun is shining so life could be worse - keep safe everyone.