Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 981 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Garlic
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:14:50 pm »
I have seen different recipes suggesting chopped or crushed. Today's was a new one on me: minced garlic.

Does anyone with a garlic crusher ever do anything to garlic other than crush it or bung the cloves in whole?

If so, what difference does it make?
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 08:26:48 pm »
I just bash them, then chop one way and the other. I presume that's minced. I don't own a garlic press (I probably do, but I'm sure they're a faff, and I got a big chopper and I know how to use it).
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:40:32 pm »

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:58:57 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You can kill me now.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 09:44:42 pm »
I've got a couple of garlic presses, but they are a pain to clean & stink the place out if you don't.  Bash it with the flat of the knife, get the peel off & chop finely .

A couple of jars of the "very lazy garlic" (and ginger) for emergencies. 

I _like_ garlic & have 2-3 cloves in a dish for a single person........     could the singleness be related  ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:37:18 pm »
Minced, I feel is easily done as you crush the garlic with a fork after chopping it up a bit.

I've got a couple of garlic presses, but they are a pain to clean & stink the place out if you don't.  Bash it with the flat of the knife, get the peel off & chop finely .

A couple of jars of the "very lazy garlic" (and ginger) for emergencies. 

I _like_ garlic & have 2-3 cloves in a dish for a single person........     could the singleness be related  ???

I like more garlic than that..

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:06 am »
Bash it with the flat of the knife, get the peel off & chop finely .

^This.

I'm of the school of thought that nearly all jobs in the kitchen can be achieved with a proper chef's knife. I don't need no stinkin' garlic press.

I find the biggest faff with garlic is getting the skins off, but blanching the cloves for a minute in boiling water makes this very easy. Also has the added bonus of taking the harsh edge off the flavour if you're using it raw.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 07:28:00 am »
(click to show/hide)

You can kill me now.

Nothing wrong with that - especially when you have legitimate reasons for not wanting the faff of chopping. Also minimises waste.

We have the same bags of frozen chopped garlic and ginger in our freezer, which my wife finds a godsend - she is a bit cackhanded when it comes to chopping stuff finely (more a proprioception thing than a motor control thing).

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 08:14:29 am »
(click to show/hide)

You can kill me now.

We slice, chop or press as needed, but we also have a jar of dried garlic with a grinder built into the cap.  Not as good as fresh but excellent for those "oh shit I forgot to do the garlic" moments.

I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 08:18:21 am »
Have a garlic press and it's a decent one, heavy and solid bought from the Russians (probably Belarussians) in the market, back when and where that used to be a thing. But I find I normally just chop it instead.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 08:23:43 am »

^This.

I'm of the school of thought that nearly all jobs in the kitchen can be achieved with a proper chef's knife. I don't need no stinkin' garlic press.

I find the biggest faff with garlic is getting the skins off, but blanching the cloves for a minute in boiling water makes this very easy. Also has the added bonus of taking the harsh edge off the flavour if you're using it raw.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiDnNqZkavoAhWDQEEAHd_sAxoQtwIwAHoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDc7w_PGSt9Y&usg=AOvVaw2zlmecTI0PuMRjvQJ6MUjS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:58:28 am »
Mostly. I just chop garlic
I hated my garlic press - difficult to clean, and not good with arthritic hands.
Now I have a garlic grater - a little porcelain saucer with spikes. It's very effficient and only needs a rinse under the tap, or chuck it in the dishwasher. Cheap to buy.
Works well for ginger too.
Ginger/garlic/tamari/olive oil marinade  Mmmmm

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:44 am »

^This.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiDnNqZkavoAhWDQEEAHd_sAxoQtwIwAHoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDc7w_PGSt9Y&usg=AOvVaw2zlmecTI0PuMRjvQJ6MUjS

Interesting. Might try that next time...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:12:38 am »

^This.

Interesting. Might try that next time...

Depends on how fresh the garlic is.  First time I tried it, it worked like a dream.  Second time, months later, bleh.

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »
I get the skin off then grate it. I have an old-fashioned box grater with different hole-sizes on different sides. I use the small holes for grating garlic.

Is quick, easy, effective and much easier to clean than a garlic press.

GC

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 04:58:39 pm »
I generally smash and slice or chop. Occasionally - for garlic bread or mash - I’ll then put some coarse salt on it and grind it with flat of a knife to a paste.

As all 50 of my cloves germinated I’ll e looking out for green garlic recipes soon! 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:30 am »
Microwave the garlic for 15 seconds, makes it super easy to peel and mash up.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 09:31:24 am »
Nattering with a neighbour up the back of the village yesterday. He's p'd off because the flics and the forestry bods have blocked off access to the forest so that he can't get up there to collect wild garlic - called ail doux here - to make omelettes.  I wish we had a gardenful.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 10:43:01 am »
Nattering with a neighbour up the back of the village yesterday. He's p'd off because the flics and the forestry bods have blocked off access to the forest so that he can't get up there to collect wild garlic - called ail doux here - to make omelettes.  I wish we had a gardenful.
That reminds me, must take tools to dig a bit up on our walk today...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 12:47:18 pm »
Tried the baked garlic with a knob of butter pushed in, as recommended by T42 I think, last week. It was good.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:35:53 pm »
Tried the baked garlic with a knob of butter pushed in, as recommended by T42 I think, last week. It was good.

:thumbsup:

Haven't done it for years myself. Must try it again.  I originally saw the idea in a US programme called "Garlic is worth 10 mothers".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 01:44:22 pm »

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:49 pm »
I think they meant when it comes to cooking.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 04:35:54 pm »
That reminds me, must take tools to dig a bit up on our walk today...

Mission accomplished. They were surprisingly difficult to dig up. The handle on my trowel is at a funny angle now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.