Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 19893 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #500 on: May 16, 2020, 11:28:16 am »
We went to Lourdes once cos it was too wet for cycling. It was a ghastly crass shit hole. Every shop you walked past had piles of plastic jerrycans of water outside. Classy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #501 on: May 16, 2020, 12:19:47 pm »
I have a home test kit and need to swab the back of my throat with a long cotton bud and then insert it into my nose - quite a long way!  I have till 7am to do it.

The same swab? Eurghh!
Yes, and it was Eurghh!
Courier has just been to collect it, after shouting Covid test from the landing for all my neighbors to hear.  The process was supposed to be that they move 2 meters back, I place it outside the door and go back inside - the reality was I opened the door and he took it out of my hand, wearing gloves, but no mask and no distance.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:28 pm »
The Rector of Lourdes is appealing for a surge of pilgrims after two months of lockdown has put an 8-million-euro hole in takings.  To avoid any risk to their health, the faithful won't actually be allowed into the famous grotto with its healing waters, but will be able to stand on the far side of a river and peer in with binoculars.

Homeopathic miracles!  They're the future!  Free with every red mercury-powered 5G bat control module!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #503 on: May 16, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »
Lots of pictures online of stuff in That London.

There's quite a few road closures and pavement widenings, but the only bit of cycle infrastructure in London that exists is a half-arsed isolated bit of cycle lane down a short section of one side of Park Lane. Lots of noise about more, but reality is a disappointment.

(TfL put out a press release 10 days ago implying they'd already installed one on Euston Road. Not a single cone has been laid AFAIK)

There's a more substantial bit in Leicester that's doing the rounds.

Edd

« Reply #504 on: May 18, 2020, 04:30:35 pm »
"I try and keep my kid away from people but they just aren't giving us space" says the lady chatting to her friend and their husband (and kid) whilst standing in the middle of a cross isle between vegetables and bread in a large supermarket

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #505 on: May 18, 2020, 08:08:03 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #506 on: May 18, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »
Good thing that pandemic's over and it's now okay to greet your friend you haven't seen for a while with manly hugs in the supermarket...   :facepalm:

Most people seem to have given up on face covering, too.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #507 on: May 21, 2020, 04:18:06 pm »
I've given away a bicycle!
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2020, 04:22:33 pm »

One I Love Me Jacket™ to Wow's place, nurses in white suits, to Wow's place.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »
Good thing that pandemic's over ...

Kim, you reminded me - I like the new advert on CNN which says something like, "A virus needs a host in order to spread. So does misinformation. Listen to the experts and avoid both." It seems to be a warning about gossip, rumours and advice given by the president.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2020, 04:52:58 pm »
Some of my neighbours round the corner are well into the Thursday weekend session. Two guitars and a drum set (all acoustic, thankfully!) in the garden, playing what might be generally described as 60s stoner rock. Beer is in evidence, as is that scent of the stoner rock, and they're actually playing quite well. Plus, if I want to listen, I can hear them in the garden, if I go inside to work, I can't.  :thumbsup:
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #511 on: May 21, 2020, 04:55:33 pm »

One I Love Me Jacket™ to Wow's place, nurses in white suits, to Wow's place.

J

It's a bicycle with a history.

A nice little 24" wheel steel-framed Nottingham-built Raleigh that we bought for our daughter for her 10th birthday. She had been in possession of it for about an hour when she came off and lost her front teeth. I found her teeth but it took half an hour and by the time we got her to the hospital they had died. However, they shoved them back into the sockets and they stayed there for the best 17 years until one of them broke.

Cost of bicycle: £120 or thereabouts.

Cost of tooth implants when she was 27: £5000 or thereabouts.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #512 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:30 pm »
Good thing that pandemic's over and it's now okay to greet your friend you haven't seen for a while with manly hugs in the supermarket...   :facepalm:

I only wore mine for the first time today! I was the only customer in the Co-op who did, but then there were only about four in total.

I did see my neighbour in there, but she's definitely not someone I'd give manly hugs even at the best of times.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #513 on: May 21, 2020, 05:05:19 pm »

I only wore mine for the first time today! I was the only customer in the Co-op who did, but then there were only about four in total.

I did see my neighbour in there, but she's definitely not someone I'd give manly hugs even at the best of times.

Same here, didn't see anyone wearing a mask on my trip to the supermarket and back.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #514 on: May 21, 2020, 05:12:02 pm »

Same here, didn't see anyone wearing a mask on my trip to the supermarket and back.

J

Just about everyone we saw had them in Super U on Tuesday, ditto Aldi except one bloke who had his tucked under his chin.  In the pharmacy they've given up on them and switched to acetate visors because they were getting headaches.

BTW, you know how you're supposed to ram your face into the crook of your elbow when you sneeze or cough? Must be interesting with a visor on.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #515 on: May 21, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »
What sort of masks were the pharmacists using? Cos a few shops here (actually I can only think of two, the bakery and a greengrocers) have issued their staff with those visors and the bakery staff were complaining about how difficult they are in the heat.

« Reply #516 on: May 21, 2020, 06:51:24 pm »
I’ve given away two of late. Suzy’s Dolce went somewhere it’ll get used, and a passable 700c hybrid went to a single mum so she could go out cycling with her kids.

O:-)
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #517 on: May 22, 2020, 03:26:59 pm »
I’ve given away two of late. Suzy’s Dolce went somewhere it’ll get used, and a passable 700c hybrid went to a single mum so she could go out cycling with her kids.

O:-)

I used one in part-payment for some fence panels, fitted by a neighbour who is short of work, who also want to go out with his kids.

A courier called a short while ago, delivering 8 bottles of Fullers 1845 ale direct from their online shop, as a thank-you for the bicycle.

« Reply #518 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:27 pm »
I loaned a front brake and got a crap bike back with the front brake attached to in return about a month later when they got a new bike. Pedals off crap bike are on my fast road bike which is on loan with a mate who doesn't use clip less pedals and thr front brakes on my eldest monkeys bike as hers broke. Rest of the bike went in the metal skip

« Reply #519 on: May 22, 2020, 04:36:37 pm »
I went to the local health food / green shop today, for muesli ingredients.  I noted whilst waiting outside (only 2 inside at a time - minor grumble, it was a couple and she was just wandering about looking at things) that they had hand sanitizer with 70% grain alcohol content. I got my turn, and went to the wall dispensers for oats. A sign said to use hand sanitizer first.  I looked about but saw non of the gel, so asked, and was directed to a trigger spray bottle of “sanitizer - kills 99.9% of germs - contains no alcohol” stuff. I used it, but commented that “that won’t work”. “Read the label” said she (the owner).  I said, yes, it’ll (maybe) kill bacteria, but it probably won’t kill a virus.  I was not popular.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #520 on: May 22, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
From what I recall of The People Here Who Know saying, even 70% alcohol isn't enough, it needs to be about 80%. Or maybe I'm misremembering?

Ed: Surgical spirit is widely available. Presumably that should do it. Perhaps not too kind on your skin in regular use though.

« Reply #521 on: May 22, 2020, 05:02:50 pm »
Today, I used Tesco Click & Collect For the first time. It was brilliant. No queue whatsoever (the store had a 50+ person queue). Opened the boot and they loaded it in for me. Only 2 items out of stock. I’d asked for no substitutes and that was noted. However a picking error meant I did get my 3 tins of peach slices in juice - Del Monte instead of own brand. Now to try and secure another slot in 3-4 weeks time. Even if it’s a late evening one. Weekly fresh shop will still be M&S and farm shop. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #522 on: May 22, 2020, 05:51:18 pm »
From what I recall of The People Here Who Know saying, even 70% alcohol isn't enough, it needs to be about 80%. Or maybe I'm misremembering?

Ed: Surgical spirit is widely available. Presumably that should do it. Perhaps not too kind on your skin in regular use though.

The figure of 60% was doing the rounds some weeks ago as I recall commenting that Abelour A'Bunadh single malt would work. Better than swallowing bleach or taking a torch up your arse anyway.

« Reply #523 on: May 22, 2020, 07:14:59 pm »
Forgot to say yesterday:-

Fast action dried yeast! In Mr Sainsbury's Small Local House Of Toothy Comestibles!

I now have everything I need to do some baking. Cinnamon buns are going to be first up tomorrow (https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cinnamon_buns_10634)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #524 on: Today at 06:45:05 am »
Quick trip into Ely yesterday to Wilko's. Ely residents seem very conservative stood outside the shop, even when 2m spacings are taped on the pavement, not quite so good inside. I was wearing a mask myself, need to find a better fit though as it was really chafing behind one ear. Saw a total of thee other people wearing masks.

Maybe everyone in Ely simply suffers from exceptional circumstances.

Of all that I was trying to find, got everything g except 75mm screws.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens