Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 30098 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #700 on: July 29, 2020, 09:31:00 pm »
I bodge the British mains plug into a US adaptor for the shaver socket (Euro prongs are too wobbly).

It's like 2020 or something, I'm pretty sure we can put electricity in bathrooms without immediate death.

That's what the shaver socket's for.  It's got a fairly wimpy isolating transformer molished into it, so you won't get a shock between the appliance and ground, and it'll magnetically saturate and/or trip some sort of thermal cutout and/or catch fire if you try to power a toaster from it.  (A centre tap for dispensing feeble leftpondian anbarism is a handy bonus feature.)

I think the regs would permit a Ceeform socket or fused spur (and all the lightswitches etc you like) outside the Safe Area, if you wanted to install a washing machine in the bathroom like they do in ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from.

(I've sneaked a modest amount of anbarism into our bathroom using Power-over-Ethernet-under-the-lino-and-up-behind-the-bog.)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #701 on: July 29, 2020, 09:42:10 pm »
I think the regs would permit a Ceeform socket or fused spur (and all the lightswitches etc you like) outside the Safe Area, if you wanted to install a washing machine in the bathroom like they do in ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from.

Rewiring the flat here, it still confuse me that we can run mains into the bathroom, and not just mains, but 3 phase!!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #702 on: July 29, 2020, 10:42:06 pm »
Brits are a bit backwards in matters relating to electricity. They figure a system that worked in Edison’s time is sufficient and anything better is excessive.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2020, 12:02:56 am »
TBH, like most things in middle-England, our electrical standards are harking back to the post-war period when safety was new and exciting, and copper was in short supply.  Hence the abomination that is ring mains.

There's a weird paranoia about electricity in bathrooms, given that you're allowed to have sockets powering kettles and things within splash range of a kitchen sink.  Okay, you could argue a connection to ground through soggy bare feet is more likely in a bathroom, but have they never seen what drunk or caffeine-deficient people get up to in the kitchen?

Seriously, mandate an RCD and proper equipotential bonding, put it out of reach of the bath and get on with it.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #704 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:52 am »
That's what I never got, there's sockets in my kitchen. I'm not going to fill up the bathroom with water (and we all know that actual wet room only main function is destroying the ceiling below). All bathrooms are leaky. They're not the sort of room that fills up with water while our victim frantically tries to stay above the water, the clock ticking on any rescue.

So I have to plug stuff into the shaver socket via a USAian adaptor and an extension. I did ask the bathroom guy about electricity when we had it done and he pulled a face and muttered something about The Regulations. As far as I could tell, it wasn't even possible to have a multiple shaver sockets.

Anyway, you can power a couple of lamps, a Sonos speaker, and Wahl hair clippers using a shaver socket.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #705 on: July 30, 2020, 10:02:01 am »
I replaced our bathroom ceiling extractor fan despite dire YOU WILL DIE warnings, and seem to have survived the experience.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #706 on: July 30, 2020, 03:22:49 pm »
There's long hair everywhere from my gradually yetifying wife. I'd forgotten what that was like (previous ex- had long hair right down her back and a fluffy chinchilla). She really should get it tamed. The chinchilla too.

I've never heard it called a chinchilla before, but I have encountered some fluffy ones.
Our son does know who Boz Scaggs is, we've done ok as parents.

citoyen

« Reply #707 on: July 30, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »
I've never heard it called a chinchilla before, but I have encountered some fluffy ones.

You're only saying what we're all thinking.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #708 on: July 30, 2020, 05:25:20 pm »
I replaced our bathroom ceiling extractor fan despite dire YOU WILL DIE warnings, and seem to have survived the experience.

Like for like replacement.  That was never an issue under Part P.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #709 on: August 03, 2020, 02:15:19 pm »

Trying to do a grocery delivery, seems that Yeast is so out of stock they have removed it from the website, it used to just say out of stock.

Also seems that chopped tomatoes can only be bought in store...

I wonder if others are also prepping for a second wave?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #710 on: August 07, 2020, 01:20:53 pm »
My son's girlfriend is starting a job in Eindhoven soon. He was planning to accompany her over there to help her move in to her new flat. Living in east Kent, it should be very easy to get there using the tunnel - after the crossing, it's a 3hr drive to Eindhoven.

Unfortunately, with Belgium now being on the quarantine list, that complicates matters somewhat. Driving round the outside of Belgium would turn it into an 8hr journey.

« Reply #711 on: August 07, 2020, 01:49:01 pm »
My son's girlfriend is starting a job in Eindhoven soon. He was planning to accompany her over there to help her move in to her new flat. Living in east Kent, it should be very easy to get there using the tunnel - after the crossing, it's a 3hr drive to Eindhoven.

Unfortunately, with Belgium now being on the quarantine list, that complicates matters somewhat. Driving round the outside of Belgium would turn it into an 8hr journey.
Ferry to the Hook?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #712 on: August 07, 2020, 02:00:06 pm »

Ferry to the Hook?

Not much better as it's East Kent round to Harwich for the ferry - and a toll at Dartford (and I think the ferry would be more expensive than a short trip deal in the tunnel)

citoyen

« Reply #713 on: August 07, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
Ferry to the Hook?

From east Kent, driving to somewhere you can get a ferry to the Hook would make the journey even longer than driving round Belgium. Plus the crossing itself is considerably longer. (ETA: and a lot more expensive, as Rob says!)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #714 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:14 pm »
I understood that if you’re just driving through and don’t stop then it’s ok.

I hope so as I am currently passenger in a car on a Belgian motorway and we will pass through Luxemburg on our way to Saarland in Germany for the weekend. And next week we are travelling to the UK.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #715 on: August 07, 2020, 03:31:33 pm »

I wondered about that but it seems far from clear going by what I heard on the radio earlier. There was a chap who was doing the same thing - travelling from the Netherlands to the UK, via Belgium, and he said he had been told he would have to self-isolate when he got home even if he didn't leave his car while crossing Belgium.

Which is just silly, really.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #716 on: August 07, 2020, 05:11:58 pm »

I wondered about that but it seems far from clear going by what I heard on the radio earlier. There was a chap who was doing the same thing - travelling from the Netherlands to the UK, via Belgium, and he said he had been told he would have to self-isolate when he got home even if he didn't leave his car while crossing Belgium.

Which is just silly, really.

If you drive through Belgium how is anyone going to know? - there are no border controls for us (yet :demon:) ... surely it's only if you arrive in the UK by plane, train or ferry from Belgium that anyone would know?

« Reply #717 on: August 07, 2020, 08:49:34 pm »
What's the position on the Amsterdam to London Eurostar?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #718 on: Yesterday at 06:22:46 am »
Found this on the government page:

Private vehicles
You don’t need to self-isolate if you travel through a non-exempt country and you don’t stop in the country.

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:

no new people get into the vehicle
no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again
You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

new people get into the vehicle, or
someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#transit-stops
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #719 on: Yesterday at 06:56:04 am »
Thanks, Auntie H, that does seem pretty clear! The chap on the radio was probably talking shite. I’ll pass the info on to the boy - he’s away on holiday right now so I don’t know if he has been giving the matter much thought but I’m sure he’ll find that useful.

citoyen

« Reply #720 on: Yesterday at 06:59:25 am »
If you drive through Belgium how is anyone going to know?

Same thought crossed my mind but I’d still be paranoid about getting caught if it were me doing it!

Anyway, I’m not Dominic Cummings - I take these kind of restrictions at face value, rather than choose to think they’re open to interpretation if it suits me to do otherwise.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #721 on: Yesterday at 07:11:47 am »
What's the position on the Amsterdam to London Eurostar?
The Man in Seat 61 twitter feed was trying to unravel this yesterday with no firm conclusion.
It may depend on whether Belgian traveller's are isolated from Dutch passengers, but in any case there's a stop at Lille (in France)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #722 on: Yesterday at 09:55:40 am »

Anyway, I’m not Dominic Cummings - I take these kind of restrictions at face value, rather than choose to think they’re open to interpretation if it suits me to do otherwise.
This. Many times this.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)