Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 69272 times)

Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #200 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:52:24 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^  Lightweight!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #201 on: 05 May, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »
Nice! I'd thought about riding one of them next PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #202 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:55:37 pm »
Love that sea tube angle - looking just soooo relaxed!!   8)

« Reply #203 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:29:41 pm »
It's strange. Photos don't do the Guv'nor justice; the wheelbase is sooo long.

I've only ridden it about 200 metres so far. The desperation's building!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #204 on: 06 May, 2017, 05:30:14 am »
Does this one come with a mounting clip for the lump hammerfine adjuster?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #205 on: 06 May, 2017, 11:56:53 am »
It's strange. Photos don't do the Guv'nor justice; the wheelbase is sooo long.

I've only ridden it about 200 metres so far.
Did you make the time limit?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #206 on: 06 May, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »
I shall not dignify either MattC or jsabines comments with a reply.

You're both clearly very, very jealous.

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #207 on: 07 May, 2017, 10:25:01 am »
1. I got this Ibex Merino wool base layer . I'm planning to use it from Brampton-Brampton.(300 Km)

https://www.amazon.com/Ibex-Merino-Woolies-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B00YSGUZMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1488032854&sr=1-1&keywords=ibex%2Bwoolies%2B1&th=1&psc=1

Can anyone let me know if this can withstand the cold ? ( Combined with a  jersey and gillet)

Loughton- Brampton and back, I'm planning to use my normal btwin base layer. I have used it in few winter brevets ,where temperature  was around 10 C. Should I get another merino base layer for riding in nights till Brampton or will the btwin base layer be sufficient ?

2. Riding with Crocs - I know many don't prefer it. But I'm worried about riding with wet shoes if it rains. I got pissed off in my first ever 400 BRM, where it rained for nearly 24 hours. Since then, I started riding with Sandals in rainy season. I did a 1000 too, with Sandals. So my idea is to use woollen socks if it is dry and cold and waterproof socks, if it rains and gets cold. Will this work ? or does people usually prefer riding with wet shoes even if it is very uncomfortable ? Please suggest.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #208 on: 07 May, 2017, 07:51:42 pm »
Sandals provoke mixed reactions. I use them - albeit Exustar  SPD sandals, not Crocs - a lot and have ridden a few long brevets with them, and some very experienced riders also swear by them.

Others - probably far more, if I'm honest - either don't understand the attraction, or just think it's a very eccentric choice.

As for clothing choices, layers are your friend. I'd rather carry an extra one and not use it, than need one more than I have - but I run fairly cold. A few days ago, I was too hot with two layers, while friends wearing four were too cold.

« Reply #209 on: 19 May, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »
1. I got this Ibex Merino wool base layer . I'm planning to use it from Brampton-Brampton.(300 Km)

https://www.amazon.com/Ibex-Merino-Woolies-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B00YSGUZMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1488032854&sr=1-1&keywords=ibex%2Bwoolies%2B1&th=1&psc=1

Can anyone let me know if this can withstand the cold ? ( Combined with a  jersey and gillet)

Loughton- Brampton and back, I'm planning to use my normal btwin base layer. I have used it in few winter brevets ,where temperature  was around 10 C. Should I get another merino base layer for riding in nights till Brampton or will the btwin base layer be sufficient ?

2. Riding with Crocs - I know many don't prefer it. But I'm worried about riding with wet shoes if it rains. I got pissed off in my first ever 400 BRM, where it rained for nearly 24 hours. Since then, I started riding with Sandals in rainy season. I did a 1000 too, with Sandals. So my idea is to use woollen socks if it is dry and cold and waterproof socks, if it rains and gets cold. Will this work ? or does people usually prefer riding with wet shoes even if it is very uncomfortable ? Please suggest.

Youll be fine with those base layers. Almost exactly my approach, which base layer goes in the bagdrop and which I start with will depend on the weather forecast (not that they can be relied on) but at any point in time I'll have base layer, jersey, gillet, waterproof, reflective vest. I've no experience of riding with sandals, but crocs would seem a bit soft, although they're very light and comfortable off the bike!

« Reply #210 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:46:07 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senz-Dutch-Bicycle-Umbrella-With-Fitting-Bracket-Kit-Fits-to-your-Handlebars-/201943664746?category=0&buyerid=FpRekKD1aqDv5WwHo9CtOw==&emailtemplateid=131397735&sellerid=eJGfcJBwsRIaIamN3L6UOA==&refid=store&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:UK:SHOWI

"You don't need to arrive in head-to-toe Goretex with bad hair, you can arrive in your dapper everyday clothes and stylish wig when you use the Senz bicycle umbrella!"

And in the event of a tailwind, raise the spinnaker accessory

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #211 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:23:17 am »
Riding with Crocs
is utter madness for 1,400k. Cycling sandals, and specifically the very excellent Shimano ones, are great because they have a sole thick enough to protect your poor feet from the pressure of the pedals. Crocs just won't do it. And sandals allow your feet to expand a bit but cycling shoes don't. (Wearing socks with sandals is poo-pooed in the UK as being thoroughly uncool. Which is why the combination is so popular in audax circles. Socksd with union jacks on them are for numpties and UKIP supports thobut.

And riding in wet feet? Normal for UK. But those Sealskinz waterproof socks keep my feet warm in the coldest rain.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #212 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:31:20 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senz-Dutch-Bicycle-Umbrella-With-Fitting-Bracket-Kit-Fits-to-your-Handlebars-/201943664746?category=0&buyerid=FpRekKD1aqDv5WwHo9CtOw==&emailtemplateid=131397735&sellerid=eJGfcJBwsRIaIamN3L6UOA==&refid=store&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:UK:SHOWI

"You don't need to arrive in head-to-toe Goretex with bad hair, you can arrive in your dapper everyday clothes and stylish wig when you use the Senz bicycle umbrella!"

And in the event of a tailwind, raise the spinnaker accessory

Do I really need to post my LEL 2013 I-took-a-golf-umbrella-to-Edinburgh-and-back picture again?

;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #213 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:24:35 am »

merino tends to be too hot and doesn't wick well.  I sometimes wear two in the middle of winter when it's  less than -10 degrees.  Clearly you have a very different tolerance of heat/cold to UK riders

2. Riding with Crocs - I know many don't prefer it. ..or does people usually prefer riding with wet shoes even if it is very uncomfortable ? Please suggest.
Crocs seem very unsuitable to me.  Agree that wet shoes are bad but this isn't the answer.  I'll be taking overshoes to keep the worst of the rain out and lots of spare socks

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #214 on: 06 June, 2017, 01:11:02 pm »
Merino comes in a range of thicknesses.

The 100g is rare (anyone seen a good cycle-specific base-layer recently? let me know!), 150-200g seems to be most common for stuff sold as "base-layer". I've certainly seen 250g, and maybe makers of very warm stuff just stop quoting that figure, not sure. (it's probably irrelevant for a "jumper")

Anyways .. I've worn my paper-thin base layer in stinky heat, and indeed that is one of the marketed applications. And I've worn 2 layers in sub-zero!

(I think it probably wicks pretty well - the thing is, it is very slow to completely dry. Of course it stays very warm even when soaked, that's one of its 2 USPs.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #215 on: 06 June, 2017, 05:06:27 pm »
I'm with Vorsprung regarding Merino. The thin versions work very nicely even in the hottest of summer (35 degrees plus).

As for Milecruncher's baselayer question: I think general advise is really difficult to give, as it hinges on your personal ability to cope with low temperatures as well as the actual weather during the event, and of course the rest of the clothing you are wearing. It may be too much, it may be ok, it may be too little. As others have said, layers will be your friend.

I'd be skeptical about any advice Brits give you about temperatures. Everything above 25 degrees is quickly considered a "heat wave" in this country, and even in December you can see posties delivering mail in shorts (seriously!). For whatever reasons, British people tend to have a much higher tolerance for cold temperatures than continental Europeans.

I am a continental European and think I have a moderate tolerance for low temperatures. As a reference point, here's what I wore on a 400 Audax in East Anglia over the last weekend:

- base layer: Icebreaker Meriono tank top (150 g fabric weight)
- short sleeved lycra cycling jersey
- short bib shorts

That worked fine during the day. At around 8pm, I put on merino armwarmers, and a windstopper gilet. After sunset, I added my PBP reflective vest and legwarmers. After midnight, I also  added a long-sleeved merino jersey (probably similar to your merino baselayer), my waterproof rain jacket, long windstopper gloves, waterproof Gore socks on top of my merino socks (against the cold) and a merino buff. Temperatures at night dropped to around 9 degrees, and the kit was just enough. Had it been less, I would have wished for another layer, especially if you think of having to fix a mechanical in the dark. Or if it had rained. I'll most probably carry all this kit plus one more layer (a short sleeved merino jersey) on my bike on LEL.

Cycling in crocs? Just don't even think about it. It's unlikely that it will rain 12 or 24 hours non-stop. Your feet might get soaked, but if you carry spare socks, and maybe waterproof socks (which won't keep the rain out if it chucks down heavily, but will still keep your feet warm), you should be fine. Top tip for dealing with wet shoes: stuff them with newspapers while at a control - they will dry out much quicker.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #216 on: 06 June, 2017, 05:22:37 pm »
Last time I was helping at a control on LEL we did not have newspaper so best bring your own!

« Reply #217 on: 07 June, 2017, 01:37:51 am »
Cycling in crocs? Just don't even think about it.

Don't forget that Mile Cruncher has already ridden at least one 1000km brevet (and probably several more shorter ones) with sandals, so s/he's used to them. I'll certainly be in sandals - SPD rather than regular, admittedly - and unashamedly wearing socks with them if needed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #218 on: 07 June, 2017, 01:57:45 pm »
Cycling in Crocs is best done by onesie-clad children at the Mildenhall rally.

Chris N

« Reply #219 on: 07 June, 2017, 03:06:55 pm »
I recall a rider (Bob Bialek, maybe?) on Yr Elenydd a few years ago using red crocs with flat pedals, so it's obviously possible to ride long distances in them.

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #220 on: 10 June, 2017, 05:45:10 am »
Thanks a lot Redfalo for sharing your experience and suggestions about base layers. I will plan something similar.

Regarding, shoes or sandals,I'm awaiting a delivery of waterproof socks. If I get them, shoes. Else sandals. No more confusion.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #221 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:21:45 pm »
Control list: carrier bag for water bottles, valuables cycling shoes* clothing that you want to take off/put on in the warm and light inside.
Top tip. Shoes off at every opportunity.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #222 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:24:38 am »
Control list: carrier bag for water bottles, valuables cycling shoes* clothing that you want to take off/put on in the warm and light inside.
Top tip. Shoes off at every opportunity.

:thumbsup: to carrier bags. Also good for sitting on damp ground, tyre boots...and shopping! Carry, or acquire, a spare en-route - they can get a bit manky with leaks from bidons, mud off shoes etc. I have a very compact rucksack that I take on tour [crushes to about the size of an orange] - I may find room for that to sling stuff in to keeps hands free in controls, but still use carrier bags for the potentially messy stuff that will go in. I used to take my bar bag in, but it's rather a lump.

« Reply #223 on: 13 June, 2017, 09:59:25 am »
This might be a daft question but do I need to bring a towel? I know there are many controls with showers.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #224 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:54:49 am »

This might be a daft question  .. yes....  I agree with you

We are aiming to provide some towels at every control .. BUT ..if you can tell us how to predict the towel demand at each control both northbound and southbound .. then you are  a better man than I am Gunga Din.

If it is important to you .. then either shower at the controls where you have a drop bag .. which has a towel in .. or carry a small travel towel with you.

Common sense would tell you that this is impossible for us to get 100% accurate .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!