Author Topic: Newbie dunce head "Smart" TV question/problem?  (Read 1007 times)

slope

• Ride Fettle Ride
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Newbie dunce head "Smart" TV question/problem?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
Thank you all for most valuable information :) :thumbsup:

Just back from taking new tele downstairs and connecting it to their cable wot comes from same Sky dish and 4 port LNB, which also feeds my gaff upstairs. It took less than a minute to tune. So as suggested upthread, the likelier culprit is in the old external wiring/and/or LNB port connection.

Will borrow a ladder tomorrow and investigate/wiggle/undo/redo connections and if necessary replace old cable and NOT run it in the guttering again (thank you surly Sky man who I admit to taking a dislike to all that time ago), where after many years, it might simply gave up the will to live/work?

The ladder thing could be interesting - perhaps I should wear loadsa PPE and take sedatives (less likely to do bodily damage in the event of a fall?). I don'ts like ladders and this will require a huge bodily stretch around Snowdon Towers' corner from top rung to fiddle with said apparatus.

Wasn't there someone famous who died Rod Hull? in similar circumstances.

Fingers crossed

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 04:27:24 pm »
Just back from taking new tele downstairs and connecting it to their cable wot comes from same Sky dish and 4 port LNB, which also feeds my gaff upstairs. It took less than a minute to tune. So as suggested upthread, the likelier culprit is in the old external wiring/and/or LNB port connection.

:thumbsup:

Will borrow a ladder tomorrow and investigate/wiggle/undo/redo connections and if necessary replace old cable and NOT run it in the guttering again (thank you surly Sky man who I admit to taking a dislike to all that time ago), where after many years, it might simply gave up the will to live/work?

Certainly underwater is a bad place for a coaxial cable with any kind of damage to the outer jacket to be.

By way of example, this cable from the BHPC race timing system was rendered unusable by (presumed - it had been lying in a puddle) water ingress through a small nick:

(The cable tested fine at DC, but was almost[1] completely useless at ~900MHz - that's the bottom end of the satellite IF band.)

Though with permanently installed aerials where the cable isn't subject to being ridden over by high-speed cyclists, the usual point of ingress is the connection at the top.  Lashings and lashings of self-amalgamating tape are the order of the day, and that can still fail eventually.

It was indeed.  Tragically, he was attempting to watch the sportsball on Channel 5.  (I'm from the 1990s and consider good Channel 5 reception to be an exercise in futility.)

[1] It would read a tag if you got up close and personal with the antenna, just to mislead us into thinking it was working.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 06:12:46 pm »
....this will require a huge bodily stretch around Snowdon Towers' corner from top rung to fiddle with said apparatus.

Fingers crossed

That's really not a good combination: lack of familiarity on ladders with a poor location. Maybe time to pay a third party?

At the very least, get someone to hold the bottom and lash the top, if you can lay your hands on it, using a stand off.

Failing that, can I have your bikes?  ;D ;D

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 06:25:58 pm »
Do your neighbours use both outputs atm? Could you “borrow” one of them until you GAMI?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)