Author Topic: Pizza steel  (Read 1709 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Pizza steel
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 11:02:31 am »
Pointers to a good recipe?

I like Delia Smith's base. How To Cook, Book 1, page 94.

A man of impeccable taste, obviously.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 10:27:46 pm »
I use one from Valentina Harris:
250g plain flour
250g strong white
1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Water  325ml
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 11:21:01 pm »
I'm totally in love with Patrick Ryan (or his recipes, at least) and this one is awesome:
https://www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/patrick-ryans-no-fuss-sourdough-pizza/

I haven't tried his baguettes yet but they're on the to-do list. No fancy trays involved:
https://www.ilovecooking.ie/food-tv/baguettes-masterclass-with-patrick-ryan/

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 10:36:55 am »

I haven't tried his baguettes yet but they're on the to-do list. No fancy trays involved:

This recipe takes up to 3 days to make, which might seem a little bit crazy, but I promise you the results are worth it and in no time at all you will be producing baguettes that will rival those found in any French bakery.

As if French bakeries would spend 3 days baking baguettes.... well, maybe some would.

I'm trying to replicate the generic, good, baguette you get in France, not the random artisan bakings which are normally also good, but quite often as a curiosity and a contrast to standard fare. While this recipe might relate well to the "baguette d'antan/a la ancienne" (which is likely to be pain au levain, too) the current generic, good, baguette has as one of its key markers a high water content dough that in turn requires the baguette tray to bake. You'll note that typically a "baguette a la ancienne" will have the classic pointy at both ends indicating it hasn't needed a baguette tray. As a consequence, they also stay fresh (or at least, edible) for longer.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 11:02:18 am »
As if French bakeries would spend 3 days baking baguettes.... well, maybe some would.

Tbh, I'm in this more for the hipster points than trying to get a job in a French bakery.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 11:12:02 am »
Is there anything better than a proper standard-issue French baguette.

It's not a question, because there isn't.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 02:06:39 pm »

Tbh, I'm in this more for the hipster points than trying to get a job in a French bakery.

You could possibly grow the beginnings of a goatee in three days, too.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 07:38:51 pm »

You could possibly grow the beginnings of a goatee in three days, too.
Or make a cup of cold brew coffee in the drip tower.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 09:39:58 pm »
Is there anything better than a proper standard-issue French baguette.

It's not a question, because there isn't.

Still warm from the oven!  But the crustyness can cause problems to one mouth.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 09:43:20 pm »

This recipe takes up to 3 days to make, which might seem a little bit crazy, but I promise you the results are worth it and in no time at all you will be producing baguettes that will rival those found in any French bakery.

I'm trying to replicate the generic, good, baguette you get in France, not the random artisan bakings which are normally also good, but quite often as a curiosity and a contrast to standard fare. While this recipe might relate well to the "baguette d'antan/a la ancienne" (which is likely to be pain au levain, too) the current generic, good, baguette has as one of its key markers a high water content dough that in turn requires the baguette tray to bake. You'll note that typically a "baguette a la ancienne" will have the classic pointy at both ends indicating it hasn't needed a baguette tray. As a consequence, they also stay fresh (or at least, edible) for longer.

Thought that french bread flour is lower protein?  so takes less hydration (inserting hipster words) than the stronger uk/canadian wheat flour 9% for the french and 12% for uk seems to ring a bell.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »

Thought that french bread flour is lower protein?  so takes less hydration (inserting hipster words) than the stronger uk/canadian wheat flour 9% for the french and 12% for uk seems to ring a bell.

Yes, it is less strong, the Carrs I bought is 9.5%, and appears to have added enzymes, I made it up with just over 70% water, so what I would normally use for a strong wholemeal. The resulting dough is too sloppy to hold itself in a round shape,

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2020, 11:23:56 am »
Pizza experimentation awaits
2020-05-16_11-21-49 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:38 pm »
That all went rather well. Both the £15 ebay steel (h/t Ham!) and the new revised dough stretching technique. (I have always done it on a well oiled silicone sheet with loads of oil on my hands, tonight I used flour and a more proper technique).

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at all and the crusts were brill.

2020-05-16_08-46-07 by The Pingus, on Flickr

2020-05-16_08-45-50 by The Pingus, on Flickr

(Edited to make 2 different pizza photies!)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:51 pm »
Amazing to get them looking so similar!  ;D
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2020, 09:14:10 pm »
That all went rather well. Both the £15 ebay steel (h/t Ham!) and the new revised dough stretching technique. (I have always done it on a well oiled silicone sheet with loads of oil on my hands, tonight I used flour and a more proper technique).

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at at and the crusts were brill.

What did they taste like?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2020, 09:27:59 pm »
Like pizza!

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2020, 09:40:19 pm »
Purely on spec I grabbed a bag of pizza flour in a local shop earlier  https://www.mattas.co.uk

I have olive oil, tins of Mutti tomato polpo , some mozarella.     How do I make these into a pizza ?       I've not baked or made dough this century....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:05 pm »
Like pizza!

::-)  not a cheese toastie then.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:52 pm »

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2020, 09:54:36 pm »
Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's very very good. And when it's bad, it's still ok.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 10:48:50 pm »
Like pizza!

Was it good pizza?

As I said:

The pizzas were a vast improvement on my previous efforts, no sogginess at all and the crusts were brill.

What else do you need to know? They were good. I do not claim to be a food writer.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2020, 12:45:50 pm »
Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's very very good. And when it's bad, it's still ok.

You also get sticky bedsheets if you eat it in bed.
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2020, 01:00:21 pm »

They look smashing!

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2020, 01:01:11 pm »

You also get sticky bedsheets if you eat it in bed.

I was going to make a quip about both potentially leading to big car cleaning bills, but I won't bother now.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 07:26:52 pm »
I should get myself one of those bits of steel. My oven just doesn't get hot enough for that scorched look - instead I have to leave it in longer and end up with a more evenly brown crust. Although maybe it could have done with being in a minute or two less. Still very tasty though, washed down with a can of Fourpure Juice Box...