Author Topic: Dismantling a Quick Release  (Read 362 times)

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
Dismantling a Quick Release
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:37:21 pm »
I have a Bob Yak trailer.
I have a Bob Yak skewer, suitable for road bike spacing.
I want to pull the Bob Yak behind a mountain bike
The skewer is 5mm or so too short.
The Bob Yak skewer incorporates the bobbins that the Bob Yak attaches to.
I can buy a new longer Bob Yak skewer for forty notes.

Is it possible to remove the handle end of the Bob Yak skewer and fit a longer spindle?  The lever appears to be secured by a small circlip.

Shimano lever on the left, Bob Yak on the right.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Dismantling a Quick Release
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:30:37 pm »
I've swapped parts around between skewers before now and the good news is that the cam diameter and offset appear to be similar enough between brands that swapsies often work out OK. However I have not removed the spring clip in that style of skewer, so that would be something to be sure of before you end up with no working skewer at all. Either that or having a backup plan (eg involving modifying the parts to accept an 'E' clip..?).

BTW is not the YAK bobbin simply bolted to a tapped hole in the end of the QR lever?  If it does can the tapped hole simply not be added to the other QR lever, no disassembly required?

cheers

Tim Hall

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:42:09 pm »
I've swapped parts around between skewers before now and the good news is that the cam diameter and offset appear to be similar enough between brands that swapsies often work out OK. However I have not removed the spring clip in that style of skewer, so that would be something to be sure of before you end up with no working skewer at all. Either that or having a backup plan (eg involving modifying the parts to accept an 'E' clip..?).

BTW is not the YAK bobbin simply bolted to a tapped hole in the end of the QR lever?  If it does can the tapped hole simply not be added to the other QR lever, no disassembly required?

cheers
In between writing that and your reply, I've been poking around with a variety of sharp things. I've managed to get the circlip off the BoB Yak skewer without breaking it or losing it.   I have yet to locate a cheap external cam skewer for the rest of the transplant - the one in the picture was siezed solid so had to be cut to get it off the bike.

I thought of just tapping a hole in tjhe end of a new skewer, but the bobbin sits on a spigot that forms part of the end of the QR lever and is secured by an M4 socket head set screw. Presumably the spigot is needed to cope with the loads the trailer puts on the attachment.

Plan B is to fit a solid axle and BoB Nutz. I've got a set of 3/8 26tpi nutz and half a set of M10 x 1. I shall delve further into the shed tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:36 pm »
Or molish some sort of plate-that-sits-under-the-skewer with appropriate BoBness affixed?
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Tim Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:55:33 pm »
Or molish some sort of plate-that-sits-under-the-skewer with appropriate BoBness affixed?
That's a thought, but it might put the fixing at the wrong spacing to take the BoB Yak dropouts. Although they can be sprung.

It looks like I've found a suitable donor candidate on t'bay for a fiver.  I'll do some double check style measuring tomorrow and then perhaps order it.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:57:05 pm »
That's a thought, but it might put the fixing at the wrong spacing to take the BoB Yak dropouts. Although they can be sprung.

Ah yes, I forgot that the Yak coupling was double-sided.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:43 am »
FWIW I'd fancy my chances of making something that worked using drill, angle grinder, and welding set.

Daft question; does the Yak bobbin rotate on its mountings for the coupling to flex in the vertical plane, or does the trailer rotate around a fixed bobbin?

cheers

Tim Hall

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 09:15:44 am »
FWIW I'd fancy my chances of making something that worked using drill, angle grinder, and welding set.

Daft question; does the Yak bobbin rotate on its mountings for the coupling to flex in the vertical plane, or does the trailer rotate around a fixed bobbin?

cheers
The bobbin is free to rotate but frequently doesn't. The trailer fixtures rotates around the bobbins in the vertical plane.