Author Topic: Password Manager  (Read 571 times)

Password Manager
« on: May 13, 2020, 04:02:53 pm »
Any recommendations for a good one?
IA

Re: Password Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 04:09:29 pm »
I'm happy with lastpass

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:31:48 pm »
I love Dashlane, comes with built in VPN, plugins for most common browsers, os and mobiles. Also has cool features like password sharing, darknet scans, auto change passwords etc.

My one main gripe with it is that it's not great with application passwords.

I may have a referral link if interested. Here you go, https://www.dashlane.com/cs/dPRe_Lb_xZIQ 6 months of free premium dashlane for the both of us.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 04:45:09 pm »
I'm a happy user of 1Password.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:57:47 pm »
LastPass here.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
I use the Mac keychain. It works except when it doesn't (for instance, it doesn't insert a password into any non-standard applications – like the Cisco VPN, grumble, so I have to copy and paste the bloody thing). I'm not sure if any of the alternative products does a better job.

I also keep a password list squirrelled in a file on encrypted disk volume.
!nataS pihsroW

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:43 pm »
I still use Keepass and the plugin for Firefox. It's pretty ancient now and I think the cool kids have moved on but it's still doing the job for me.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 07:23:50 pm »
LastPass has been very good.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 07:26:53 pm »
SplashID

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 08:04:37 pm »
Lastpass and Keepass and Roboform used in this household, the latter is chargeable.

Lastpass is by far the best, it just works.
Keepass and the plugins are sometimes a pain, starting to try and monetise it with 'Kee' works OK, not as slick as Lastpass.
Roboform was the original we used but only has a 3 machine limit, works OK and my wife likes it's ease of use (won't try Lastpass)

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 11:07:26 pm »
I used to use last pass but switched to 1password cos work use it, and I can have the one account with two different vaults, a personal one and the shared work one.
It also seems to have better URL matching, so if you have lots of similar URLs like test1.myapp.com, test2.myapp.com, myapp.com, then last pass seemed to not differentiate between them whereas 1password does that better.
It is what it is. It's not what it's not, so it must be what it is.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 11:14:25 pm »
I use Lastpass. They all have limitations of one sort or another. LP has been fine as long as you don’t expect fields to be populated automatically on every website. Usually some clicks are required, the odd copy and paste.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 11:22:52 pm »
I use PasswordWallet. It does the autofill by inserting the username, clicking on tab (to go to the next field) and then inserting the password. I am noticing more and more web sites changing from the two fields being a tab apart to being on separate pages, which makes using a password manager more fiddly and slower.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 10:02:40 pm »
I like Keepass. I used Roboform years ago, before that.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:44 pm »
Another lastpass user here.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 10:25:22 pm »
#1 - Decide how paranoid you are, to determine whether you use a central DB like Lastpass, or want to keep your data locally. For all the undoubted security, Lastpass and the hooks into the browser is such an obvious target for hackers, I avoid it. You may prefer the convenience of having an online service that works on multiple platforms which then brings you to decision

#2 - Decide if you need a cross platform service. That might be a tiping factor to choose Lastpass, but if not, then Keepass is the best cross platform option.

If you don't want an central DB service and you don't want a cross platform, you are free to choose any of the myriad of largely platform specific apps

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:57 pm »
Password Safe.  https://pwsafe.org/
It is simple, free, open source. All offline, stored on your own computer. Though could sync with Dropbox or similar if you want.
Also versions for Android or iOS etc.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 08:00:04 pm »
Ok, possibly a stupid question but what is the downside of Google password manager? 
Sic transit and all that..

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 08:02:08 pm »
If nothing else, like any Google service, it might go the way of Google Reader with little warning.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...