Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 2020  (Read 2958 times)

Re: Borders of Belgium 2020
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
Got my entry in too.

Hoping some beds will open up to help with sleep logistics / or there is a corner of floor to crash on at controls.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
I plan to cross on the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry again. I'll book for a couple of days prior and the day after returning. If anyone want to share a two or four berth cabin feel free to message me or email David Stephen Crampton at Google mail dot com

Dave C

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
I notice the event entry page is still open for this, obviously everything is a bit of a unknown at the moment, but as the event is not until September are the organisers still planning on running it ?

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »
I notice the event entry page is still open for this, obviously everything is a bit of a unknown at the moment, but as the event is not until September are the organisers still planning on running it ?
Yes, the event is still on the calendar. The Belgian calendar will undergo some changes but the Borders of Belgium will stay on the original date. As long as the National security counsel (about the Corona measures) give us green light to organise, the event will run. I have very good hopes it will be the case.
Rohnny, organisor of the BOB.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:39 am »
I've heard audax is starting up again in Belgium. I wonder what is the situation for BOB?

Getting there on the ferry/train from UK might be an issue.

In Belgium are the shared accommodation options likely to be ok? Are hotels/motels etc likely to be functioning?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 11:39:30 am »
Hey Hippy,

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Ferry still appear to be non running to all but emergency timetables.

We stayed in an AirB&B last time, around 20km from the sStart/Arrivee.

Where are you crossing from? I'll be looking for a Hull Rotterdam ferry.

Last time I noticed tents next to the start. There is a good campsite toilet block next to the start also, but unsure whether it will be open it not.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 11:59:39 am »
Similar position for me, as is IroIroMono.
Also since travel restrictions are devolved we might have other issues too.

I'm not exactly ready for 1000 though.
Was only a tenner entry (with the extra logistic considerations that came with) so not massively bothered if I have to miss it.

Was planning to use the Zebrugge ferry and train down to Ghent then ride to the start; but obviously that's all out.
I also don't fancy a night standing out on deck.

Looks like Pride of York hasn't moved anywhere recently (and given the age, like many P&O vessels might only ever move again to scrap), the Europoort service does appear to be running nightly.

Audax Ecosse needs a minibus :-p

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 10:57:43 am »
I think I'd originally mooted Eurostar then local train to Gent for this.

But god knows how all of that's going to work.

Also large parts of this route are quite sparse if I remember right - sounds like it'll end up being close to x-rated if it goes ahead.

On top of that, not sure what my motivation is - part of the appeal was recovery beers in Gent afterwards, but not sure if I'm ready to mingle with riders from all over Europe in close quarters, given the circumstances.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 11:07:08 am »
Given that the UK has about the worst COVID result in Europe, I suspect that others might not want to get too close to UK riders anyway.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 11:13:17 am »
Given that the UK has about the worst COVID result in Europe, I suspect that others might not want to get too close to UK riders anyway.

Being in a part of Scotland with one of the lowest current COVID rates, I don't particularly want to mingle with riders from south of the Antonite wall right now.

And then there's Leicester and Yns Mon :shudder:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:26 am »
True but most folk won’t look at things in such detail. National-level at best e.g. USA = plague.

Aside: First time I have heard of the Antonine Wall. Not entirely successful, it seems.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 11:50:41 am »
Luckily I have a blue passport and a suitably safe accent :D

Safe for riding, not so safe when we hit the bars in Ghent.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:42 pm »
True but most folk won’t look at things in such detail. National-level at best e.g. USA = plague.

Aye :-)
I don't really expect anyone outwith a country to look at the picture within.
England and Wales also = plague from this viewpoint.

My only concern about Leicester is Crisps, it is 377 miles away even Thurso is closer.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2020, 03:47:55 pm »

Being in a part of Scotland with one of the lowest current COVID rates, I don't particularly want to mingle with riders from south of the Antonite wall right now.

As an aside, the course of the Antonine Wall ran through the back garden of the house I grew up in, and there was a short stretch that could be made out very close by, albeit over grown but the profile of the thing could clearly be made out. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »

As an aside, the course of the Antonine Wall ran through the back garden of the house I grew up in, and there was a short stretch that could be made out very close by, albeit over grown but the profile of the thing could clearly be made out.

The only bit of it I've ever actually seen or knowingly been to is somewhere in the vicinity of Bonnybridge, but it wasn't in anyone's backgarden.
Possibly at Rough Castle.

Following the route on the map, got to say that Antonine must have been a bit daft, ran all the way along the Lothian shore of the Forth to Bo'ness.
The Carron surely would have made a good enough boundary and the rest defended using the river and lookouts.
Or was Stenhousemuir just too rough for the Romans?