Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 13858 times)

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2020, 07:45:55 pm »
Hotels seem fine, even the Scottish ones are taking bookings. They are all offering free date change even on the £29 a night rate so if things need to get postponed I can.

Edit: though I now realise registering 7x200 in 5 days won’t work as the sleeping comes in chunks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2020, 08:40:25 pm »
Hotels seem fine, even the Scottish ones are taking bookings. They are all offering free date change even on the £29 a night rate so if things need to get postponed I can.

Edit: though I now realise registering 7x200 in 5 days won’t work as the sleeping comes in chunks.

If the 5 days refers to the Audax standard for LeJoG you need 4 nights for the journey and somewhere at the end. Probably Sea View Hotel. Then decide if you want to cycle back to Inverness or catch the train.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »
"When circumstances change, I change my decision."
I hope that the Audax UK board will revise forwards (to 18 July) the resumption date for encouraging and validating rides, given the revision to the guidelines in England announced just now (Tuesday 23 June). We can surely rely on the prudence and self-discipline of riders to minimise the risk to themselves and others. Any risk to the reputation of Audax UK and to cycling in general is surely illusory.
The various home nations will be most likely to make similar judgements and take similar decisions in the next fortnight so the argument that Audax UK has to wait, wait, wait for all home nations to align before resuming is surely weakened. Of course local laws and guidelines varied with time/date would remain to be adhered to.
Individuals will have different approaches to the minimal risk that outdoor activity - specifically long distance cycling - incurs (to themselves and others). And they will choose to ride: at all, short distances, long (day) distances, alone, in pairs, in groups of 'x' - or not: individual decision.
Given Audax UK's objective of encouraging long distance riding, it does not need to apply additional, cautious restrictions on such activity.

I understand the AUK Board's decision to take a whole UK approach, given that Scotland and Wales are taking their time in lockdown easing [with justification I'm sure], but a tad frustrating for us in England. However, I can wait until 1st August for perms to start and will take the opportunity of overnight stays for a little touring in July. If there are local Covid-19 outbreaks later in the year then they'll maybe have to suspend Audax events on a case-by-case basis?

Tentative plans for some multi-day DIY 200s going a Long Way, too ... My scuppered 2020 plans were for Andy C's LEJOG, my own ACME Grand [as a route check/helpers' ride] and possibly the East-West, Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan perm too. There's a whole world of choice there!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 31 up
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:35 pm »
My plans for a double E-E have been scuppered by the 1 Aug announcement. So, it will be a 4 Corners tour, entering Scotland when the border opens for tourists, with a couple DIY 200s in the South just to remind me what event pressure is all about.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100 21 Mar 20. (Suspended 16 Mar 20 on AUK advice)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2020, 11:28:27 pm »
If the 5 days refers to the Audax standard for LeJoG you need 4 nights for the journey and somewhere at the end. Probably Sea View Hotel. Then decide if you want to cycle back to Inverness or catch the train.

When I rode LeJoG in 4 days (96h) the hotel at JoG was most unwelcoming (with good reason I'm sure) so I rode straight back to Wick Polis Station where they made me a Full Scottish Breakfast  :thumbsup:
Those were the days.
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2020, 05:35:49 am »

I have booked 4 nights en route. My accommodation at the end is back in Wick. As I am going when I would have been doing Andy’s one it is too early for registering any of it.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
    • Occasional wittering
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:40 am »
RUSA resumption postponed. :(

https://rusa.org/node/558

Whilst the US is on a very different trajectory, AUK’s decision to not rush things may hopefully avoid this situation here and shorter DIYs and perms can resume as planned.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2020, 09:38:30 am »
Thing is, Marcus, RUSA were planning to allow calendar events up to 200 to go ahead, if the organiser chose, from 1 July. Noone here has suggested that that would be a prudent way ahead in the circumstances prevailing in UK.
Audax UK have decided that solo/very small group permanents can be sanctioned. The additional risk of such rides, compared to unsanctioned individual or group (<7) rides is nil. And the risk during such outdoor exercise (of increased infection) already very small, is vanishingly small compared to risks incurred during the many other activities millions of entirely sensible cautious UK citizens are engaged in.
I believe that what the long distance cycling community want to see is a vision (Audax UK's vision) for how calendar events can be resumed (if organisers want to) and a tentative, prudent date that they hope that circumstances (in various spectra) will allow that resumption.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2020, 01:01:48 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53217095

For the fragility of the current situation and how much on a knife edge we are.

So for an organised ride we will organise for people to travel  across the country (and increase their contacts) and sign on in a hall (and increase the contacts) then control in various locations (if not changed these will be local shops as cafes not open, and increase their contacts), then return to the hall and have more contact.

I am not happy about the situation, but we are in no position to sanction oreganised events.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:28 pm »
Well this buggers up one of my DIY ideas
https://twitter.com/FerrytoSkye/status/1277563163504979970

Note the response from the local tourist castle...
Their facebook post responses has further subtext to their decision.

But then it sounds like my trip to the Ratagan YH won't be taking place anyway.

« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2020, 02:41:12 pm »

So for an organised ride we will organise for people to travel  across the country (and increase their contacts) and sign on in a hall (and increase the contacts) then control in various locations (if not changed these will be local shops as cafes not open, and increase their contacts), then return to the hall and have more contact.

I am not happy about the situation, but we are in no position to sanction oreganised events.

BB
I appreciate you keep saying something similar and I keep repeating my response, if the issue is the sign on or finishing in a village hall afterwards, which is currently illegal, then organise the event without this. If it is impossible to have online or outdoor sign in then cancel that event, not all events. This is the approach in NL. This is all irrelevant as auk have decided no calendar events for the time being.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »

Kyle Bridge not too far away  :thumbsup:The difference is just the difference between the Shiel Bridge split?

BB

« Reply #262 on: June 29, 2020, 08:43:33 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #263 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:53 pm »

Kyle Bridge not too far away  :thumbsup:The difference is just the difference between the Shiel Bridge split?

BB

Considerably less climbing and considerably more motor vehicles on the A87 route.

Also SKAT have reversed their position and now want tourists kept out at all costs.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2020, 06:07:30 am »
Also SKAT have reversed their position and now want tourists kept out at all costs.

I assume you mean Skye not SKAT? Do you have a source for the "tourists kept out" position?

Hostels look like they are booking only private rooms and no shared accommodation.

:'(

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #265 on: June 30, 2020, 11:33:48 am »

I assume you mean Skye not SKAT? Do you have a source for the "tourists kept out" position?

Hostels look like they are booking only private rooms and no shared accommodation.

:'(

SKAT
Skye and Kyle Against Tolls.

1/3rd of businesses polled in the western isles say they won't be reopening this year becasue they don't want to be responsible for bringing death to the islands; seems could be similar in Skye and Lochaber.

Ratagan probably won't be going ahead for the the club anyway, without self-catering and car sharing it's just not possible.

« Reply #266 on: June 30, 2020, 05:51:10 pm »

BB

In the Netherlands, audax will resume in July. We have altered the rules of conduct to make sure that we don't huddle together at start and finish (outside, collect card and go; plus no socializing at the finish). The controls are up to the rider. It could be a photo control or a receipt at a petrol station. We will be very flexible as long as the riders disperse as much as possible at controls. As an organizer, I'm fine with this. I don't think cycling in small groups or travel to the start currently is a risky activity.