Author Topic: Fixed chain tensioner / chain tugs  (Read 816 times)

Fixed chain tensioner / chain tugs
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:24:43 pm »
Hi folks,

Been riding fixed for about a month now and am loving it. Am thinking of getting a fixed chain tensioner (like  Surly snuggnut) or chain tugs. Any thoughts, suggestions etc

Cheers, Doo
🤪
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Re: Fixed chain tensioner / chain tugs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »
Just wonder why.  Have you had a problem?  Several decades of fixed riding here and I've never used such devices, nor do I know anybody who has.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 06:46:06 pm »
^ Just  interested in folks thoughts etc really - if I do a long ride or a powerful time trial like sprint - my chain appears slacker (sometimes) at the end of a ride compared to the beginning. My old Genesis Day One had them pre-fitted. I'm still 'new' to the fixed world and like knowing others experiences etc

Cheers, Doo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:15:29 pm »
Some combinations of wheel nut, axle washers and track end surfaces can make it hard to completely avoid wheel movement no matter how tight you have the nuts done up or how well you have cleaned the surfaces, hence the variety of chain tugs available. Some people never need them, some people need them on one bike but not others.

Choice of chain tug is a bit a trial and error affair depending on the shape and thickness of the track ends. The Snuggnut is for 12mm through axles and is designed to work well with a particular Surly dropout. It might be fine with other set-ups of course. Or you could look at something like the SKS ones which come in different thicknesses according to track end thickness.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains/5-mm-mks-canjs-chain-tug/

I don’t have one on the bike at the moment but I have tried the SKS one in the past with good effect. They make wheel changes a bit more hassle.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:52:21 pm »
I have the surly tugnut on 3 bikes.  2 of these are Dolan FXEs.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:55:43 pm »
I have the Surly nut. It does add a little time when mending a puncture, but it makes getting correct chain tension a doddle, so worth it in my view.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:10:00 pm »
I've recently started using the Surly Tuggnut, and have found it helps me to get a better chain tension. A single Tuggnut on the drive side seems to be working just fine.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:07:24 am »
Thanks for all the comments. My bike is a Dolan FXE so a tug nut seems like a good idea.

Cheers, Doo  :smug:

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:48:54 am »
A bit of slack in the chain is no big deal (in fact too tight can be a problem).  Tensioners just seem to get in the way for me.

fd3

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:23 pm »
I don't use tensioners.  My first fixie had a severe issue with maintaining chain tension, but this as due to bad chainline and the random combination of components thrown together.  My Pompino holds its tension for longer than it should (I should take the chain off and clean it before it goes slack).
[/I could be wrong]